Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 06:10
German to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2003

Dear all,

I’ve just tagged this on the end of a French thread posted by Sylvain on Tuesday, but then realised that it would be far more sensible to start a new thread completely here in the Translators' Resources forum.

For some time I’ve been looking for a decent French-English CD-ROM dictionary to replace my dog-eared but charming Collins-Robert which I have had since university. I have tried the Harrap’s shorter and Larousse on CD-ROM, but the former is deadly
... See more
Dear all,

I’ve just tagged this on the end of a French thread posted by Sylvain on Tuesday, but then realised that it would be far more sensible to start a new thread completely here in the Translators' Resources forum.

For some time I’ve been looking for a decent French-English CD-ROM dictionary to replace my dog-eared but charming Collins-Robert which I have had since university. I have tried the Harrap’s shorter and Larousse on CD-ROM, but the former is deadly slow and I find the latter very user-UNfriendly, as it is not possible to copy words in directly. My German Langenscheidt CD-ROM is a godsend, and I’d love to find something of similar quality for French.

I’ve heard good things about the Collins Super Senior dictionary, but only from a French perspective, and would like to hear an English translator’s point of view before I take the plunge. Is there is a CD-ROM version of the Collins Super Senior dictionary available – I’ve looked on the internet but haven’t been able to find it for sale anywhere. If anyone has any other advice or recommendations, I'd very much appreciate it.

Many thanks

Ian
Collapse

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:10
French to English
+ ...
general french-english dictionaries Aug 7, 2003

Hi Ian,

I have used the Collins Robert Comprehensive quite a bit (or Super Senior as it is called in France)and have generally been quite pleased with it. With time, however, I have come to notice some surprising ommissions and inaccuracies. Until recently, I had very little respect for Harrap's French-English dictionaries but for the last few months I have been working with the new Harrap's Unabridged (in 2 volumes also) and am starting to prefer it to the Robert Collins. They have
... See more
Hi Ian,

I have used the Collins Robert Comprehensive quite a bit (or Super Senior as it is called in France)and have generally been quite pleased with it. With time, however, I have come to notice some surprising ommissions and inaccuracies. Until recently, I had very little respect for Harrap's French-English dictionaries but for the last few months I have been working with the new Harrap's Unabridged (in 2 volumes also) and am starting to prefer it to the Robert Collins. They have done a thorough job in updating this dictionary. Somewhat shockingly, however, both of these dictionaries are now published by the same parent company, which helps explain the similarity of certain entries although they are sufficiently different in style and content to make it worth consulting both.

On the subject of the 2-volume Robert Collins coming out on CD, I spoke to the Robert people at Expolangues a few months back and they claimed it would be out in December 2003.

I also have the Harraps on CD and find it so hopeless from an interface point of view that I never use it. The Oxford Hachette is quite well done and useful as a basic dictionary for quick reference as opposed to in-depth searches for more complex idioms. I have also got the "Pro" version of the Robert Collins CD published by Softissimo in France, which is quite handy and seems to have similar content to the single volume paper equivalent.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Colin

Ian Winick wrote:

Dear all,

For some time I’ve been looking for a decent French-English CD-ROM dictionary to replace my dog-eared but charming Collins-Robert which I have had since university. I have tried the Harrap’s shorter and Larousse on CD-ROM, but the former is deadly slow and I find the latter very user-UNfriendly, as it is not possible to copy words in directly. My German Langenscheidt CD-ROM is a godsend, and I’d love to find something of similar quality for French.

I’ve heard good things about the Collins Super Senior dictionary, but only from a French perspective, and would like to hear an English translator’s point of view before I take the plunge. Is there is a CD-ROM version of the Collins Super Senior dictionary available – I’ve looked on the internet but haven’t been able to find it for sale anywhere. If anyone has any other advice or recommendations, I'd very much appreciate it.

Many thanks

Ian
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for fast and user-friendly French-English CD-ROM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »