Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:56
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2009

I've been looking about for such resources, and am not finding much. I would think since certificates have a considerable amount of arcane vocabulary and abbreviations, there might be helpful resources for translators somewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Susan

Direct link Reply with quote

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:56
English to Russian
+ ...
T... Mar 29, 2009

This type of documents is a specific one and requires individual attention. I do not think there is much theory into it. It's just internet searching.

United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not theory, but... Mar 29, 2009

Oleg Osipov wrote:

I do not think there is much theory into it. It's just internet searching.

I wasn't looking for theory (yuck!), just glossaries. For example, I translated a Russian medical diploma not long ago, in which there appeared a ДИС 1234567XYZ number. I have no clue what ДИС stands for, and could not find it on the web, in the time I had to devote to it, so I just wrote DIS. (The customer didn't know what it meant either.)
I would think that sort of information could be found in some centralized location.

Of course there are glossaries for abbreviations on the web, such as sokr.ru or abkuerzuengen.de . But I find those almost always unhelpful, since most abbreviations can stand for about 20 things, it seems, and I cannot always tell from the context which is correct.

(After posting this message, I remembered to look in the archive of forum posts, and found a few entries for EU languages, mostly having to do with education degrees and terminology, which is useful. But there was nothing for Russian.)

Susan

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Why... Mar 29, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

ДИС 1234567XYZ number. I have no clue what ДИС stands for, and could not find it on the web, in the time I had to devote to it, so I just wrote DIS.

Why don't you ask a Kudoz question here? There are lots of Russian medical degrees at this site.

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:56
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Web site Mar 30, 2009

The "multitran" site (a Russian-English online dictionary) has many of them. There is also some dedicated Russian abbreviation sites. For more modern ones, try the "Supplementary Russian- English Dictionary (2nd Edition) by Stephen Marder, available from Indiana University. It is a bit expensive, I admit.

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:56
Member (2003)
French to English
Mayoral's book for interest Mar 30, 2009

You might like to read "Translating Official Documents" by Roberto Mayoral Asencio, published by St Jerome Publishing, www.stjerome.co.uk, ISBN 1-900650-65-7.

Not sure it's quite what you're after in terms of specific terminology but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Best,

Karen

United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Apr 1, 2009

You've given me some good leads.

United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've started my own certificates glossary, RU-EN Jun 23, 2009

Since I never could find a glossary or dictionary of certificate terms, I have started my own, taking information from wherever I can get it--past jobs, translators' portals like Proz, Internet searches. It's on my website. Since it is still changing frequently, I have not put it on my Proz profile, because it's all in HTML now, and too much bother to change to Proz glossary format.
The website is (click on: Glossaries, Russian):

http://www.ssw-translation.com

Maybe someone else will find this useful.

Susan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Books/websites to help translate certificates, RU-EN, DE-EN

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs