Terminology management software needed!
Thread poster: María Rosanova
María Rosanova
María Rosanova
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 9, 2009

Hi! I m really tired of trying Multiterm with no success and I am trying to get from the web some software to manage my glossaries. I have downloaded the trial version of anylexic and it looks fine, but I'd like to get to know other programs so as to make a decision. Could anyone recommend any software? Thanks a lot for your help! Alicia

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:28
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Be happy Apr 10, 2009

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html
It's free!

Carlopez
Carlopez
English to French
Lingo 4.0 Terminology management software Apr 10, 2009

You could try Lingo 4.0 Terminology management software. It's not expensive and is very versatile. There is an evaluation version available at: http://www.lexicool.com/soft_lingo2.asp
Regards, Carl

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:28
German to English
Another vote for XBench Apr 10, 2009

This is an astonishingly useful program. It manages multiple databases and also provides a means to ensure internal consistency of a translation or group of translated documents.
It takes about a minute to install the program and a few minutes to learn.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What features do you need? Apr 10, 2009

M_Alicia wrote:
I'm really tired of trying Multiterm with no success and I am trying to get from the web some software to manage my glossaries.

What kinds of features are you looking for? It sounds to me that you already have glossaries, and you just need some software to "manage" it. In what format are these glossaries? Do you regard the ability to search multiple glossaries simultaneously part of "management"? Or do you want to have a uniform editing interface for all your glossaries, perhaps?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you get any training? Apr 10, 2009

M_Alicia wrote:
Hi! I m really tired of trying Multiterm with no success...

I felt the same until I decided to take a course on Multiterm. 4 hours of training was all I needed, and the investment was recovered very quickly. I now have my company termbase in Multiterm (I mean an actual terminology database, not bilingual lists of words) and am very happy with it! I sincerely encourage you to take a course on Multiterm. You will never regret it!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Multiterm is not for glossaries Apr 10, 2009

Well, em... yes, of course you can manage glossaries with it, and very nicely actually. But it is not what it was meant for. If all you need is to have lists of words in two or more languages, then Multiterm can do it, but it would be a clear underuse of the tool.

If we are talking about terminology in the context of a translation service, we need to have (in my opinion of course):
- A database of CONCEPTS, not words.
- For each concept, a definition, information about t
... See more
Well, em... yes, of course you can manage glossaries with it, and very nicely actually. But it is not what it was meant for. If all you need is to have lists of words in two or more languages, then Multiterm can do it, but it would be a clear underuse of the tool.

If we are talking about terminology in the context of a translation service, we need to have (in my opinion of course):
- A database of CONCEPTS, not words.
- For each concept, a definition, information about the field(s) in which it is used, a picture if possible.

- For each concept, one or multiple TERMS that refer to the concept in each language.

- For each individual TERM, information like: source of the term, grammar and gender information, example(s) of use, geographical information, what customers you have used the term for and whether they have validated the term or not and when they validated it.

To me, the alternative proposals you got in this topic look much more than software to manage lists of words in several languages (that thing we call "glossaries"), which is not what Multiterm was created for.

I insist in encouraging you to take a course on termbase creation and management in Multiterm... if you need a termbase and not lists of words.
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:28
English to Spanish
I use MT v. 5 successfully... Apr 11, 2009

...and for every concept I wish to have on it.

In my case:

English, Spanish, Definition, Example, Acronym, Subject Matter, Source, Date, Domain, and whatever I wish to add to it! It has proven to be really useful. And I can upload every glossary from the Web, Kudoz, clients, colleagues, etc. You just need to know how, as Tomás says.

Currently, I have 71500 entries uploaded, and growing.

[Edited at 2009-04-11 04:06 GMT]

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:28
English to Spanish
If you have MT v. 7+ Apr 11, 2009

Try this, it is Jerzy's how-to:

http://trados-training.doku-trans.de/Multiterm.pdf

Clearly explained and easy to do.

Cheers!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beware! Apr 11, 2009

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:
Currently, I have 71500 entries uploaded, and growing.

Beware! That's a monster! Stop feeding it now or it will eat you!

Just joking of course. My approach is a different one however: I have a termbase with terminological information as a result of research done for actual translations (research of a term is only done once, and then recorded with full details in the termbase for the future), and separate termbases for glossaries received from customers. The termbase serves as a repository of knowledge, not just words. And the separate glossaries are useful for the please-use-my-terms situation.

I keep these two separate categories as A) I need to know that my termbase is totally trustworthy and B) customer glossaries are handy but are very often wrong. I don't want to contaminate my terms with unchecked glossaries.

María Rosanova
María Rosanova
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Apr 13, 2009

Hi, I found really interesting all of your contributions. I'll check the xbench page and also will try to download the trial version of Lingo. Actually, answering Samuel's question, Im trying to find a program to manage the glossaries I have already created- in .xls, .doc, etc. after unifying formats, in order to work simultaneaously with them.
After reading all your posts, Im sure I will be able to decide on one software and make my work much easier and organized. Thank you guys for your
... See more
Hi, I found really interesting all of your contributions. I'll check the xbench page and also will try to download the trial version of Lingo. Actually, answering Samuel's question, Im trying to find a program to manage the glossaries I have already created- in .xls, .doc, etc. after unifying formats, in order to work simultaneaously with them.
After reading all your posts, Im sure I will be able to decide on one software and make my work much easier and organized. Thank you guys for your help!
Collapse

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Xbench is the answer – what is the question. Apr 15, 2009

I also used several hours and finally mastered Multiterm. Used it for many years and then I discovered Xbench. Now I find that Xbenc from APSIC is the tool I turn to in my daily work.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Just a question Apr 16, 2009

How to use xbench with Excel glossaries?
I have tried a couple of days ago but wasn't successful.
I thought asking would be faster than keeping trying...
Thank you.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Excel glossary -> xBench (via Tab-delimited text Files) Apr 28, 2009

France-Japon wrote:

How to use xbench with Excel glossaries?
I have tried a couple of days ago but wasn't successful.
I thought asking would be faster than keeping trying...
Thank you.

From Excel, Save As 'Tab-delimited .txt'
Then, in xBench:
Project -> Properties -> Add

I hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology management software needed!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »