Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The web as a dictionary: Linguee.com (EN/DE)
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I just stumbled upon this site and I found it astonishing useful and it seems to give good results. Part of the ressources are bilingual webpages of the EU, but there seems to be much more.

What is Linguee?
With Linguee, you can search for words and expressions in many millions of bilingual texts in English and German. Every expression is accompanied by useful additional information and suitable example sentences.

Maybe
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I just stumbled upon this site and I found it astonishing useful and it seems to give good results. Part of the ressources are bilingual webpages of the EU, but there seems to be much more.

What is Linguee?
With Linguee, you can search for words and expressions in many millions of bilingual texts in English and German. Every expression is accompanied by useful additional information and suitable example sentences.

Maybe you want to try out and share your impressions.

Kind regards

Noe

[Edited at 2009-04-10 11:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-10 21:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-10 21:21 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Russian to English
+ ...
So far, so good Apr 10, 2009

I tried it a bit this afternoon, and liked what I saw. Seems like a terrific idea--but need more experience with it.
Thanks for the tip!

Suyash Suprabh
Suyash Suprabh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:04
English to Hindi
+ ...
Useful link Apr 11, 2009

Thank you for sharing the link.

The website is very useful. It is good to see that the website has a large number of phrase entries.

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
+ ...
I agree Apr 11, 2009

I found it recently and it looks very promising.

Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree Jun 3, 2009

This tool is absolutely terrific, I discovered it a few days ago and was surprised about the amount of translations in different contexts. The quality of the results seems to be good so far.

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Intelliwebsearch Jun 3, 2009

Hello again,

it can also easily integrated into Intelliwebsearch. So the results are only a mouse click away.

Regards

Noe

Susanne Bittner
Susanne Bittner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Too good to be free Jun 3, 2009

I agree it looks very good, but suspect it will be paying when beta phase is finished.

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I'll pay! Jun 3, 2009

I just wish there was a similar version for French-English.

Linguee is really useful - I'm always recommending it to people.

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Linguee also within Google results Jun 4, 2009

Hello,

I don't think that we'll have to pay for it, maybe we'll get some ads. The last days I find more and more Linguee pages within the normal Google results.

Regards

Noe

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
More languages? Jun 4, 2009

Great tip, Noe, but I hope they include other languages soon enough, as already commented.

Thanks for sharing,

Ivette

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Great resource but... Jun 12, 2009

Being curious I just tested it randomly with a very common word: "geben" - and what did I get?

Some really good results but also things like "do" ("Wir fordern keine personenbezogenen Daten von Kindern an, sammeln diese nicht und **geben** sie nicht an Dritte weiter." becomes "We **do** not ask children for personal data, nor **do** we collect personal data or forward it to third parties.")

The translation itself is correct but why (in this and many more cases, have a
... See more
Being curious I just tested it randomly with a very common word: "geben" - and what did I get?

Some really good results but also things like "do" ("Wir fordern keine personenbezogenen Daten von Kindern an, sammeln diese nicht und **geben** sie nicht an Dritte weiter." becomes "We **do** not ask children for personal data, nor **do** we collect personal data or forward it to third parties.")

The translation itself is correct but why (in this and many more cases, have a look at the examples yourself!) should "geben" be "do" in the English version? I'm wondering where they got this from...

Nevertheless. thanks for the link!
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do do or not do do Jun 12, 2009

Charlotte Blank wrote:

The translation itself is correct but why (in this and many more cases, have a look at the examples yourself!) should "geben" be "do" in the English version? I'm wondering where they got this from...

Nevertheless. thanks for the link!

Hello Charlotte,

Linguee isn't meant to be a dictionary and by the way nobody looks up the word do which can mean literally everything. I use it mainly for multiple word phrases and it gives sometimes good results from human translations.

Regards

Noe

José Raeiro
José Raeiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
Intelliwebsearch Oct 2, 2010

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello again,

it can also easily integrated into Intelliwebsearch. So the results are only a mouse click away.

Regards

Noe

Does anybody know of a tool like intelliwebsearch but one that searches all the sources and organizes the results in only one easy browsable window?

That would be a great time saver.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
linguee in more languages Oct 2, 2010

Linguee has expanded from EngGerman and now also offers:
EngPortuguese
EngFrench
EngSpanish
These languages had been promised a long time ago, but they finally came out this Summer. Chinese and Japanese are in the pipeline.

I find it quite a useful resource.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Alternative Oct 2, 2010

If you need a similar service for almost any other language pair, try
http://mymemory.translated.net

It's pretty much the same concept with more of a TM focus, rather than a dictionary focus. E.g. you can upload and download TMX files and the autoidentification of the translation is less advanced. Unfortunately, the search engine in mymemory isn't that great, but hey, it's free.

[
... See more
If you need a similar service for almost any other language pair, try
http://mymemory.translated.net

It's pretty much the same concept with more of a TM focus, rather than a dictionary focus. E.g. you can upload and download TMX files and the autoidentification of the translation is less advanced. Unfortunately, the search engine in mymemory isn't that great, but hey, it's free.

[Edited at 2010-10-02 09:05 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The web as a dictionary: Linguee.com (EN/DE)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »