I am thinking of investing in voice recognition software (Dragon). Advice?
Thread poster: Helen Jordan
Helen Jordan
Helen Jordan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
Danish to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2003

Does anyone have any advice on this topic please? Am thinking of investing in this, but would appreciate the benefit of other people's experience. Have been looking at Dragon Naturally Speaking Version 7, but not sure which edition would be most appropriate for a translator's basic needs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)

Can anyone help please?

TIA

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:42
Flemish to English
+ ...
Time Aug 22, 2003

If you have at least a fortnight to get to know and train the program or have a ready-made lexicon it is a useful tool. If not, it is money wasted.

[Edited at 2003-08-22 16:59]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:42
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
If you have Office XP, Aug 22, 2003

you do not have to by anything additional, I do not know about Dragon and others, but after a training Office's inbuilt speach recognition works, IMHO, fine.
I do not believe special programs are performing 500 bucks worth better...

Uldis

HAJ wrote:
Am thinking of investing in this, but would appreciate the benefit of other people's experience. Have been looking at Dragon Naturally Speaking Version 7, but not sure which edition would be most appropriate for a translator's basic needs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Can anyone help please?

TIA

Intergraf
Intergraf  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Office XP voice recognition/dictation Aug 22, 2003

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

If you have Office XP, you do not have to by anything additional, [snip] after a training Office\'s inbuilt speach recognition works, IMHO, fine.

I do not believe special programs are performing 500 bucks worth better...

That\'s very interesting information!

How many languages can it handle at the same time, in the same document?

How long did it take you to train it?

Dragon has the Preferred Edition, which I\'ve heard works well, for about US$200 (it\'s the Professional Solutions version that runs US$700-US$1000).

Not sure whether DNS Preferred can do multiple languages at the same time or what the additional modules would cost, though - still waiting to hear from them on this.

But this Office XP thing has got my interest, and I\'d like to explore it further.

T.

Corza
Corza
Mexico
Local time: 09:42
English to Spanish
Product description Aug 23, 2003

I believe Naturally Speaking is no use for a translator. Read the product description and you will see that "Naturally Speaking" has a limited vocabulary for letters and business matters but no more. There is also "Legally Speaking", "Medically Speaking", so you'll need a new software dapending on the topic of your translation. Furthermore, you will have to train yourself in "spoken commands" and also, you have to be very attentive to pronounciation.
I hope this helps you. Lilliam

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:42
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
DNS Aug 23, 2003

Dragon Naturally Speaking has improved a lot. You get very good speach & command recognition results with the newer versions. Of course you have to practice a bit. But it is much less time consuming than getting acquainted with Trados.

There is no limit to the amount of words you can store. Each time you use a new word you can store it for future reference.

Somebody told me that there is an online store that has low priced software like Dragon, Pagemaker etc. The name o
... See more
Dragon Naturally Speaking has improved a lot. You get very good speach & command recognition results with the newer versions. Of course you have to practice a bit. But it is much less time consuming than getting acquainted with Trados.

There is no limit to the amount of words you can store. Each time you use a new word you can store it for future reference.

Somebody told me that there is an online store that has low priced software like Dragon, Pagemaker etc. The name of the store is Kazaa or something. I haven't checked that out myself though. (o:

Have a good weekend all.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I have tried only English, Aug 23, 2003

training takes about an hour.

Uldis

In some ProZ forum within the last year there was a long discussion on these softwares, but I cannot find it any more.

Intergraf wrote:
How many languages can it handle at the same time, in the same document?

How long did it take you to train it?
T.

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:42
Danish to English
+ ...
dragon naturally speaking pro 7 Aug 23, 2003

I have used the Dragon for many years, and have answered many questions on the Proz.com fora. You might want to research the Proz files for answer to your questions. I have osteoarthritis and have to use the voice recognition software. It is not worth the money if you think it can improve your production. The latest version 7 is the fastest in voice recognition but extremely slow when switching between programs, if you have more than one window open. It is limited to a few languages. For mo... See more
I have used the Dragon for many years, and have answered many questions on the Proz.com fora. You might want to research the Proz files for answer to your questions. I have osteoarthritis and have to use the voice recognition software. It is not worth the money if you think it can improve your production. The latest version 7 is the fastest in voice recognition but extremely slow when switching between programs, if you have more than one window open. It is limited to a few languages. For more information please see www.scansoft.com, knowbrainer.com (exceptionally good site for voice recognition) and through yahoo.com you will find many chat groups on voice recognition and speech recognition and DNS. I wish you luck. With the professional series you will have a long learning curve.Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I found the previous thread Aug 24, 2003

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=70315#70315

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am thinking of investing in voice recognition software (Dragon). Advice?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »