Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2002

Here is a link to a very interesting article about MT from Wired Magazine (May 2000)

You can read the complete article at:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.05/translation_pr.html

\"Talking to Strangers\" A renewed international effort is gearing up to design computers and software that smash language barriers and create a borderless global marketplace. A woman sits at a desk in Manhattan, talking to herself in French. The phrases she balances on each breath are musical to American ears. She has postcards of...\"

Read the complete article at:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.05/translation_pr.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:53
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks! interesting read... Feb 16, 2002

I\'ve just invested in a natural voice recognition tool, and as I am still in its training days, it feels weird talking to myself and seeing words forming on the screen, with surprisingly good accuracy considering its early stage. Ironically, the hardest thing is really to \"force\" myself to speak at a natural pace, and not as if I were dictating to a \"human being\" (the sw gets confused if I speak too slowly!)

On the other hand, I also remember the 1st MT system I used, back in the late 80\'s... (sorry, can\'t remember the name nor producer) When the company bought it we were sent on a 1 week intensive course. Then, putting it into practice, we had to spend so much time trying to train it to translate properly, flagging how words should behave grammatically, forcing it behave in a specific way, adding words and phrases... that after ploughing through with it for 2 whole projects, we finally disinstalled it and forgot about it...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-16 20:05 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting article about MT from Wired Magazine

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs