Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
PDF conversion
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
French to English
Sep 10, 2003

For all of us struggling to edit PDF documents in Word, help may at last be at hand. If the claims made by ScanSoft for its PDF Converter are to be believed, this could be the solution to our problems (I haven't checked it out myself).

The link is: http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/sysreqs.asp

But there is a price to pay - just under $50!

All the best

Barnaby

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
They do not sell to me Sep 10, 2003

I would habe ordered the download version, but it did not work. Countries like Finland or Germany can not be selected, when I selected Uruguay the process went nowhere, and the German website does not habe this product.
Perhaps someone else has better luck.

Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very interesting Sep 11, 2003

Thanks Barnaby for sharing this information. I am very interested in this software, since I am working right now in the translation of many pdf documents into Spanish and what I have been doing is just type the translation in a new Word document, trying to insert drawings, charts, etc. - too complicated -.

My question is whether you already have bought this program, or if someone else at PROZ did, so as to know whether this software is as good as it is shown in the advertisements.

Your comments will be appreciated.
Marianela

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re PDF Conversion Sep 11, 2003

Marianela Melleda wrote:

Thanks Barnaby for sharing this information. I am very interested in this software, since I am working right now in the translation of many pdf documents into Spanish and what I have been doing is just type the translation in a new Word document, trying to insert drawings, charts, etc. - too complicated -.

My question is whether you already have bought this program, or if someone else at PROZ did, so as to know whether this software is as good as it is shown in the advertisements.

Your comments will be appreciated.
Marianela

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re PDF conversion Sep 11, 2003

Dear Marienela

I have to say I have NOT tried the software. A couple of months ago I was struggling with a huge PDF document when something like this (assuming it delivers) would have been worth its proverbial weight in gold.
The next time the occasion arises, I may well take the plunge, but will try to find out more beforehand.
All I can say is that Scansoft is a very reputable firm (it has contributed its technology to the new Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary). Maybe its possible to get more information from the site?
Sorry I can't be of more help for the moment!

All the best

Barnaby

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Acrobat Reader 6.0 Sep 11, 2003

Hi All,

I tried Acrobat Reader 6.0.

You can select / copy / paste all the text into MS Word, or in the FILE menu of Acrobat Reader, save as Text… then you can open it with MS Word. But the original format is lost.

It works only with text but drawings…

You can download it at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Hope it helps.

Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Chance, Sep 12, 2003

chance wrote:

Hi All,

I tried Acrobat Reader 6.0.

You can select / copy / paste all the text into MS Word, or in the FILE menu of Acrobat Reader, save as Text… then you can open it with MS Word. But the original format is lost.

It works only with text but drawings…

You can download it at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Hope it helps.

I tried the link and downloaded Acrobat Reader 6.0, it looks like it is more friendly than previous versions.

I did all the procedure you suggested and in fact you can bring text to Word, but pictures, charts, sketches DISAPPEAR!

Thanks anyway.

P.S. Barnaby, thanks for your comments.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
PDF Converter is much better! Sep 12, 2003

Marianela Melleda wrote:
I did all the procedure you suggested and in fact you can bring text to Word, but pictures, charts, sketches DISAPPEAR!

Dear Marianela,

If you want, you can try again with Adobe Reader 6.0:
under the TEXT selection button, you can find an IMAGE selection button, click it then you can select the image / copy / special paste into Word.

I just tried it. It works sometimes but it takes a lot of time, a real headache!

Then, I had a glance at the site mentioned by Barnaby, Their PDF Converter Demo Gallery, and downloaded their examples of “Original PDF Document” and “PDF Converter Word Document” to have a close look. It looks great! I am going to buy it.

You may have a check at: http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/demo/

Thank you Barnaby!

[Edited at 2003-09-12 17:31]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional Sep 12, 2003

does all (or nearly all) fine.
And if you need to get a picture (or any rectangular fragment) from a *.pdf file, use snapshot feature- with a mouse just drag a square around the area you need- and Voila! it appears on the Word clippboard, just place the cursor in Word where needed and click on the needed picture in Clipboard, it is inserted in the Word file right away))

No scanning, no adjusting needed, all happens 1:1.

(Our Office is XP, in 2K clipbord was much smaller and didn't show thumbnails, but I guess it should function similary none the less)

Uldis
chance wrote:

Marianela Melleda wrote:

Dear Marianela,

If you want, you can try again with Adobe Reader 6.0:
under the TEXT selection button, you can find an IMAGE selection button, click it then you can select the image / copy / special paste into Word.

I just tried it. It works sometimes but it takes a lot of time, a real headache!

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Uldis, You are right, but Sep 13, 2003

Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional costs 668.56 euros.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional does all (or nearly all) fine.1:1.
Uldis

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
Danish to English
+ ...
PDF Sep 13, 2003

[quote]chance wrote:

My response is:
This price is for the full version. The upgrade is 25% of that. PDF 6.0 is a valuable tool and worth the money whether full version or upgrade, in my opinion. Not only to read and work with PDFs, but to produce PDF format.

[Edited at 2003-09-13 19:48]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Yes,but you can have a freeware to produce PDF format Sep 13, 2003

And it works well.

You may have a look at : http://www.software995.com/

Cheers!

BLANGSTED wrote:

My response is:
This price is for the full version. The upgrade is 25% of that. PDF 6.0 is a valuable tool and worth the money whether full version or upgrade, in my opinion. Not only to read and work with PDFs, but to produce PDF format.

[Edited at 2003-09-13 19:48]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Compared with time and effort saved Sep 14, 2003

it is worth it. E.g., only yesterday we got several jobs- technical instructions in PDF format, about 250 pages, on average 3 pictures per page. Imagine if you’d have to print all that out and then scan these pictures, save them (as I said,there's no need to save them in Acrobat 6, just mark them and after that insert direcly from Word clipboard), after that adjust each of them in Photoshop- that would be a few weeks full time job only to insert the pictures… Not so long ago we had to do it that way, but not any more
6.0 also allows to save the PDF document in the Word (and many other)formats, the result has a few distortions, you have to keep comparing it with the original just in case, but in general it is very like the source, pictures, tables and all...

Uldis

chance wrote:

[Edited at 2003-09-14 09:10]

[Edited at 2003-09-14 09:10]

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
PDF Conversion - state of play Sep 14, 2003

Well, I never thought I would trigger such an interesting discussion!
What does seem to emerge from our exchanges is that, where editing PDF documents is concerned, there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want a solution which saves you time, it seems that you have to be prepared to pay something. The question is "how much?".
On the strength of what I have read and seen about PDF Converter, I personally would be inclined to fork out the $50 (provided of course that the potential saving in time justified such a purchase) rather than go for a more expensive solution. But, I repeat, I am not an expert in this field and no doubt much depends on the complexity of the original PDF document.

All the best
Barnaby

corinne durand  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
English to French
+ ...
Midas extractor Sep 15, 2003

[quote]Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

Well, I never thought I would trigger such an interesting discussion!
What does seem to emerge from our exchanges is that, where editing PDF documents is concerned, there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want a solution which saves you time, it seems that you have to be prepared to pay something. The question is "how much?".

Hello!
A few months ago I read somewhere about this PDF converter called Midas Extractor. I downloaded the free trial version at the time, however I never got it to workon my system , but I think that is due to my software rather than theirs. The link is the following http://www.surefiresoftware.com/midas/features.php
Anyway, the price mentioned for the full version is cheaper than the other products mentioned here, if someone wants to try it, could they tell us how efficient it is?
Corinne

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF conversion

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs