https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/14591-looking_for_dictionary_of_organic_chemistry.html

Looking for Dictionary of Organic Chemistry
Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

Does anybody know of a GOOD and complete ENGLISH-SPANISH dictionary of organic chemistry?

I am translating patents so it should be something as up-to-date as possible (although many times only the ones that do the inventions know what they mean!!)

Anyway, it would help a lot.
Thanks in advance.
Grace.

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 04:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Search in Glosspost under community Sep 30, 2003

Hi,

Glosspost has a wide range of subjects and many glossaries that have already been posted.

Good luck!

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing in glosspost :o( Sep 30, 2003

There's nothing for English-Spanish I'm afraid.

Looking in Amazon I found this one:
Wiley's English-Spanish Spanish-English Chemistry Dictionary. Steven M. Kaplan (Editor)
There are no costumer's reviews, just the synopsis:
"Over 350 million people worldwide speak Spanish. A growing number of research and industrial chemistry projects are being conducted or undertaken in association with Spanish speaking countries and the often complex chemical terminologies can po
... See more
There's nothing for English-Spanish I'm afraid.

Looking in Amazon I found this one:
Wiley's English-Spanish Spanish-English Chemistry Dictionary. Steven M. Kaplan (Editor)
There are no costumer's reviews, just the synopsis:
"Over 350 million people worldwide speak Spanish. A growing number of research and industrial chemistry projects are being conducted or undertaken in association with Spanish speaking countries and the often complex chemical terminologies can pose a serious problem to these projects. This dictionary should appeal to those who wish to increase their interaction with the international chemical community. It contains over 40,000 words and phrases. The volume includes organic, inorganic and analytical chemistry, biochemistry, and physical chemistry.
From the Back Cover:
Comprehensive bilingual coverage of over 40,000 essential words and phrases found in chemistry literature.
Wiley's English-Spanish, Spanish-English Chemistry Dictionary provides a ready reference to more than 40,000 essential terms and phrases found in the chemistry literature. Its quick, user-friendly format means that you won't waste valuable research time leafing back and forth in search of the appropriate entry. And distinguished lexicographer Steven M. Kaplan has made every effort to provide equivalents with maximum clarity, accuracy, and timeliness.
Up-to-date, comprehensive, and authoritative coverage *Indispensable for students, researchers, translators, and others working in chemistry *Entries cover different fields within chemistry and include thousands of chemical compounds *User-friendly format directs you to the precise term you need without rerouting you to other irrelevant words and phrases *A wealth of information in one portable, handy volume".

If anyone has it or knows about it I'd love to hear (well, read!) opinions.

Thanks,
Grace.
Collapse

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 04:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
A site that might be useful Sep 30, 2003

Hi,

I found this site:

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ifcc/PD/dict/spandict.html

HTH

giogi
giogi
have you already tried this? Oct 1, 2003

http://www.1000dictionaries.com/chemistry_dictionaries_1.html

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Oct 1, 2003

Thanks for the links, they were very helpful.

Grace.

Conchi De Salas
Conchi De Salas  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
ENGLISH-SPANISH ORGANIC CHEM DICTIONARY Sep 26, 2004

I am not aware of one exclusively about organic chemistry. There is a fairly comprehensive Gallego-Spanish-English vocabulary of chemistry available online from the Universidad de Santigo de Compostela as a .pdf file: http://www.usc.es/~snlus/quimica.pdf and also available in a print version I think.

Conchi

roak
roak
United States
German to English
Nov 2, 2004

[Edited at 2004-11-02 23:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Dictionary of Organic Chemistry

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »