Ernst vs Langenscheidt/Routledge: Which is the better?
Thread poster: Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:38
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 9, 2003

I am a great fan of Richard Ernst: Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik (eng-deu-eng, fra-deu-fra and esl-deu-esl) on CD.

Can anyone make the comparison between Ernst and the 3 following dictionaries on CD?

Langenscheidt Fachwörterbuch Technik (Routledge) CD-ROM, PC-Bibliothek
Englisch-Deutsch /Deutsch-Englisch
Ca. 200.000 Fachbegriffe
ISBN:3-86117-148-1
Preis: 239,00 Euro (empf. Preis

Langenscheidts Fachwörterbuch Technik un
... See more
I am a great fan of Richard Ernst: Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik (eng-deu-eng, fra-deu-fra and esl-deu-esl) on CD.

Can anyone make the comparison between Ernst and the 3 following dictionaries on CD?

Langenscheidt Fachwörterbuch Technik (Routledge) CD-ROM, PC-Bibliothek
Englisch-Deutsch /Deutsch-Englisch
Ca. 200.000 Fachbegriffe
ISBN:3-86117-148-1
Preis: 239,00 Euro (empf. Preis

Langenscheidts Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften CD-ROM, PC-Bibliothek
Französisch-Deutsch /Deutsch-Französisch
Ca. 220.000 Fachbegriffe
ISBN:3-86117-115-5
Preis: 199,00 Euro (empf. Preis)

Langenscheidts Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften CD-ROM, PC-Bibliothek
Spanisch-Deutsch /Deutsch-Spanisch
Ca. 200.000 Fachbegriffe
ISBN:3-86117-147-3
Preis: 199,00 Euro (empf. Preis)

Grateful for all suggestions.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/Pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator (deu>swe))
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
on Ernst and the Langenscheidt Oct 9, 2003

I can't answer your question, Mats, but I have a question of my own. I don't own Ernst but I know that the English-German printed dictionary has been updated but not the reverse. However, the CD-ROM version exists and it's updated. So my question is this: does the CD-ROM version go both ways? Is the German>English part of the CD-ROM updated, that is?

Having just examined Mats's question more closely, I can comment on the first dictionary - the Langenscheidt (Routledge) Deu-Eng. Don'
... See more
I can't answer your question, Mats, but I have a question of my own. I don't own Ernst but I know that the English-German printed dictionary has been updated but not the reverse. However, the CD-ROM version exists and it's updated. So my question is this: does the CD-ROM version go both ways? Is the German>English part of the CD-ROM updated, that is?

Having just examined Mats's question more closely, I can comment on the first dictionary - the Langenscheidt (Routledge) Deu-Eng. Don't even bother buying that, Mats. It's completely useless in my opinion. It's been in my possession since 1998 and only in extremely rate occasions have I consulted it, when none of my regular incursions into my usual technical references have brought any results. This dictionary is too broad and general to provide any depth to any field. It covers all technical fields like the Ernst but in 5 years of freelance engineering and software translation, only several times (when I was translating a text in aviation, for example) have I been able to find the words I wanted. It's highly deficient if you're doing mechanical, civil, electrical, automotive engineering. Might be of some use for chemical eng and chemistry. Satisfactory with optics, aviation and power engineering. Fodegaboutit for everything else! Again, remember that I'm speaking only of the German-English Langenscheidt Technical Dictionary.

(note: I use the Langenscheidt/Routledge Spanish>English technical dictionary and I find it to be deficient as well)

Would appreciate some comments about the Ernst CD-ROM.

Marcus
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:38
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Ernst CDs are always bidirectional Oct 9, 2003

Thanks for the info Marcus.

I have contacted Acolada GmbH Here is their answer:

"Sehr geehrter Herr Wiman,

folgende Wörterbücher (aktuelle CD-ROMs) haben die Datenbestände von folgenden Jahren:

Brandstetter: Ernst ind. Technik
DE-EN 1989
EN-DE 2000

DE FR 1999
FR DE 2003

DE SP 1992
SP DE 2000

Slaby/Grossmann
DE-SP 1999
SP-DE 2001
<
... See more
Thanks for the info Marcus.

I have contacted Acolada GmbH Here is their answer:

"Sehr geehrter Herr Wiman,

folgende Wörterbücher (aktuelle CD-ROMs) haben die Datenbestände von folgenden Jahren:

Brandstetter: Ernst ind. Technik
DE-EN 1989
EN-DE 2000

DE FR 1999
FR DE 2003

DE SP 1992
SP DE 2000

Slaby/Grossmann
DE-SP 1999
SP-DE 2001

Brinkmann/Blaha
DE EN 2002
EN DE 2002

Wöerterbuch Chemie Kucera
DE EN 1997
EN DE 1997

DE FR 2002
FR DE 2002

Bald gibt es Potonnier, Wörterbuch Wirtschaft Recht Handel
DE FR 1997
FR DE 2002

Weitere Informationen finden Sie unter http://www.acolada.de, auch andere aktuelle Produktionen.
Bitte geben Sie Bescheid, wenn Sie noch weitere Informationen benötigen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
André Marx

Acolada GmbH, Nürnberg
Liliencronstr. 13
D-90455 Nürnberg

Office:
Tel. +49 (0)981-7329
[email protected]

Zentrale:
Tel. +49 (0)9129-90895-90
Fax +49 (0)9129-90895-89
http://www.acolada.de

BR
Mats

[Edited at 2003-10-09 08:06]
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:38
German to English
Walther/Schmitt Oct 9, 2003

Hi Mats,
I'm a real believer in the Langenscheidt Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften. It's gotten me out of many sticky situations. I've got the hardcopy for EUR 129.

Walther / Schmitt

e-Fachwörterbuch Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften auf CD-ROM

2002. 500.000 Stichworte dito. Die CD als e-Fachwörterbuch, einer neuen Reihe von Langenscheidt, die einige interessante Features bereit hält: Schnellsuche mit Erke
... See more
Hi Mats,
I'm a real believer in the Langenscheidt Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften. It's gotten me out of many sticky situations. I've got the hardcopy for EUR 129.

Walther / Schmitt

e-Fachwörterbuch Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften auf CD-ROM

2002. 500.000 Stichworte dito. Die CD als e-Fachwörterbuch, einer neuen Reihe von Langenscheidt, die einige interessante Features bereit hält: Schnellsuche mit Erkennung von Mehrwortbegriffen, Wendungen und zahlreichen gebeugten Substantiven, Adjektiven und Verben; Pop-Up-Funktion bei der der Begriff und seine Übersetzung in einer Comicsprechblase in der Textverarbeitung erscheinen; Hinweise auf Normen und regionale Varianten und Corporate Language; kostenlose Online-Aktualisierung über zwei Jahre durch das Internet. Systemvoraussetzungen: Windows 95/98/2000/NT 4.0, XP. Keine Berücksichtigung der Mac-Technik! Englisch / Deutsch und Deutsch / Englisch

Preis 249,00

http://www.kater-commerce.com/index.php?action=item&sessionid=f1892332b41eb392d6c2a9f98000629d&lng=-1&cat=Technik&item=3224
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:38
German to English
Routledge??? Aaaargh! Oct 9, 2003

Mats,

Based on the German edition, I'd avoid the Routledge dictionary like the plague. In fact, I'd strongly advise against using *any* of the Routledge dictionaries. They're just egregious.

The problem with the Ernst is that the D->E edition is now very much obsolete, and despite the promises from B'stetter, the publication date for the new edition keeps getting put back.

What might be interesting for you, though, is the relatively new Langenscheidt "Fachw
... See more
Mats,

Based on the German edition, I'd avoid the Routledge dictionary like the plague. In fact, I'd strongly advise against using *any* of the Routledge dictionaries. They're just egregious.

The problem with the Ernst is that the D->E edition is now very much obsolete, and despite the promises from B'stetter, the publication date for the new edition keeps getting put back.

What might be interesting for you, though, is the relatively new Langenscheidt "Fachwörterbuch Technik und Angewandte Wissenschaften", which is the Peter Schmitt magnum opus.

I'm aware that not everybody likes this dictionary, partly because its layout differs from the more traditional works. But that said, it's proven its worth in practice with us, in both directions.

I know that a "general" dictionary covering such a wide range of subject areas will never be entirely satisfactory. Of course this applies to business and finance too, for which there's only one reasonably usable G->E dictionary (and it ain't Schäfer or Routledge!). But Schmitt didn't do a bad job at all, and it's certainly the only acceptable modern general technical dictionary.

Robin

[Edited at 2003-10-09 15:03]

[Edited at 2003-10-09 15:05]
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
German to English
+ ...
Ernst DC Oct 9, 2003

Marcus, the Ge-En version on the Ernst CD is NOT updated!

As RobinB says, it's been promised for a long time, but no definite publication date is available.

Trudy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ernst vs Langenscheidt/Routledge: Which is the better?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »