ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: Rony Salles
How to improve listening and interpreting skills?

Rony Salles
Local time: 08:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 24, 2009

Hello! Everyone,

I’m dropping these lines just to ask for some suggestions on how to improve listening and interpreting skills. Although I listen to English every day (podcasts, radio etc), I feel I still have to improve in order to be able to do a better job… I’m not a professional translator, that’s my goal. I work as a translator in a company, once in a while I follow Americans business talks.

So, please, if you can share your methods, techniques or whatever is useful to get these skills better, I’ll be quite glad. You can also suggest sites etc.

Ronysalles,

Hugs!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 04:55
English to Russian
+ ...
try shadowing Oct 24, 2009

"Shadowing" is an exercise recommended for wanna-be simultaneous interpreters, but it is also good for people who simply want to improve their command of a foreign language.

While listening, try to repeat after the speaker everything he says, word for word. Unless you are a natural at this (a few people are), you'll be surprised how difficult it is at first! But as you continue, you'll eventually master the skill.

Try to listen to something recorded rather than the radio, as you might want to repeat it many times. Listen ones without shadowing, and then listen again and shadow it. You might be surprised to realize how much information you missed when you simply listened, without trying to repeat!

Hope it was helpful. Good luck, and please let me know how it went!

Rony Salles
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good idea! Oct 24, 2009

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

"Shadowing" is an exercise recommended for wanna-be simultaneous interpreters...

While listening, try to repeat after the speaker everything he says, word for word. Unless you are a natural at this (a few people are), you'll be surprised how difficult it is at first! But as you continue, you'll eventually master the skill.

Try to listen to something recorded rather than the radio, as you might want to repeat it many times. Listen ones without shadowing, and then listen again and shadow it. You might be surprised to realize how much information you missed when you simply listened, without trying to repeat!

Hope it was helpful. Good luck, and please let me know how it went!

I've never heard of this exercise before - shadowing-, it must be really effective. I'll try it.

thank you very much!

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 04:55
English to Russian
+ ...
You might want to look here: Oct 25, 2009

http://www.acebo.com/rxsim.htm

It's an article from my favorite source of interpreting self-training materials, ACEBO. Fourth paragraph deals with shadowing.

Boa sorte!

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
shadowing Oct 25, 2009

is exactly what I was going to suggest. It is a very good exercise.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 13:55
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Your goal Oct 25, 2009

You say you want to be a translator, but you also mention interpreting so I have no idea what you're actually up to... only do shadowing if you're planning to do simultaneous interpreting in the near future. Shadowing is basically an excercise for easing yourself into sim, designed to help you learn how speak and listen at the same time.
I personally even have some doubts about its usefulness for simultaneous, but it's certainly not much use for translation or consecutive interpreting.

[Edited at 2009-10-25 18:24 GMT]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both Are Good Oct 26, 2009

Because we use the same knowledge base in translating and interpreting, it only makes sense to do both. They require different skills, but one activity supplements the other. Naturally it all takes a lot of training and experience, but is that not true of everything we do?

Of course. Go for it all.

Rony Salles
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My goal Oct 26, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

I have no idea what you're actually up to.

Well, currently I work doing consecute and writing translations, but I'm really interested in being able to translate simultaneously. I think it requires a lot concentration and good vocabulary.

I'm always learning, I read, I listen to podcasts, but I get kind of lost when I try to do simultaneous translation.

thanks for the suggestions, I surely will use them in practice.

bye!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andy Lemminger[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to improve listening and interpreting skills?

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »