Spanish/English French/English bilingual dictionaries and French & Spanish monolingual dictionaries
Thread poster: Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:22
Catalan to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2003

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but things change and new editions are published...

I would like to buy new paper (not CD-ROM) dictionaries: French-English/English-French and Spanish-English/English-Spanish and also French and Spanish monolingual dictionaries. At the moment I am in the UK (Cambridge area), so have access to several bookshops - Waterstone's, Heffer's, Borders etc.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on which
... See more
Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but things change and new editions are published...

I would like to buy new paper (not CD-ROM) dictionaries: French-English/English-French and Spanish-English/English-Spanish and also French and Spanish monolingual dictionaries. At the moment I am in the UK (Cambridge area), so have access to several bookshops - Waterstone's, Heffer's, Borders etc.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on which dictionaries I should get.

Many thanks in advance:-))

Sheila
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Collins Robert Oct 17, 2003

Sheila Hardie wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would greatly appreciate any advice on which dictionaries I should get.

Many thanks in advance:-))

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

For the EN-FR/FR-EN pair, I just bought the Collins Robert Unabridged ("Senior" in French), and I find it really good. Many examples of different translations with context, etc, really a useful tool, affordable and reliable.

For French monolingual, you can choose between the Robert and the Larousse. The latter is full of illustrations and focuses on the explanations of the words in conrete terms, I find it quite useful for some general technical concepts to understand. It "describes" the concepts, so to say, while the Robert is more "linguistic-oriented", very useful too, but for different purposes (language use, etymology, etc.)

I find both are a must for French speakers !

HTH,
Sylvain.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
general Spanish <> English: Collins Oct 17, 2003

Hi Sheila,

I have the "big" Collins, Sixth Edition, from 2000 and have been very happy with it. I also have Simon and Schuster's, but don't use it very often since I got the Collins. I have found S&S to be more oriented towards Latin American Spanish, while Collins is more oriented towards the language, culture, etc. of Spain (without neglecting Latin American Spanish, either). It also includes quite a lot of slang and idioms. S&S, on the other hand, includes a lot more technical
... See more
Hi Sheila,

I have the "big" Collins, Sixth Edition, from 2000 and have been very happy with it. I also have Simon and Schuster's, but don't use it very often since I got the Collins. I have found S&S to be more oriented towards Latin American Spanish, while Collins is more oriented towards the language, culture, etc. of Spain (without neglecting Latin American Spanish, either). It also includes quite a lot of slang and idioms. S&S, on the other hand, includes a lot more technical and specialized words, but falls a little short in other areas. All told, they do complement each other, and really take care of just about all of my needs in the way of general dictionaries.

If you're looking for recommendations on more specialized dictionaries, let me know what areas you're interested in. I have some I would definitely recommend--and some I would most definitely not!

Cindy
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 20, 2003

Many thanks Sylvain and Cindy for your advice:-) I'll look out for these dictionaries when I visit bookshops in Cambridge tomorrow. I had been thinking about the ones you mention, but it's always great to hear other people's opinions.

Thanks again:-)

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish/English French/English bilingual dictionaries and French & Spanish monolingual dictionaries

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »