Thread poster: RafaLee
RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 01:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2003

Dear my felloow translators,

Can anyone tell me where I can find good 2nd bookshops in Barcelona?

Thank you very much

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxmedical
English to Spanish
+ ...
well, Oct 29, 2003

RafaLee wrote:

Thank you very much

You can visit a few shop in the "barrio gothico" AROUND THE CATHEDRAL but the best is certainly to go on Sunday morning to the "mercado San Antonio", it is a well-know market of books.
I hope this will help you.
María

Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
English
+ ...
In Spanish or English? Oct 29, 2003

Hi there,
You can find second hand Catalan/Spanish bookshops all over the city, but there is a great concentration of them in the C/ Muntaner crosses Gran Via area.

Indeed the road running paralel to Gran Via and just up from Muntaner - ("Consell de Cent" or "Diputacio"?) becomes one huge book market every so often.... like the Bookstalls on the banks of the Seine... (anyone know with what frequency? - You can tell I don't live in the city, can't you?)

As for English Second Hand books, I'd recommend a shop up in Gracia (c/ Sant Salvador around about 133 - if memory serves). That has probably the best selection of 2nd Hand English books in the city. It used to be called Simons & Co - but it has changed its name and I forget to what - some help I am, eh?).

If it is books in Spanish and/or Catalan you are after, then the city is a great place to browse and the choice is enormous. Enjoy it!

Have you just moved here? Or are you passing thru soon?

Cheers,

Berni

mbc
Spain
Local time: 17:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
also on Verdi Oct 30, 2003

I think the English bookshoop on Salvador has closed down, I was hoping it would reopen in another spot...we´ll see
For photos, art and architecture and some literature there is a decent 2nd hand bookshop on Calle Verdi on Gracia, a block down from the cinema, on your left as you approach Pl de la Revolucio.

xxxmedical
English to Spanish
+ ...
yes.it is true. Oct 30, 2003

Madeline Carey wrote:

I think the English bookshoop on Salvador has closed down, I was hoping it would reopen in another spot...we´ll see
For photos, art and architecture and some literature there is a decent 2nd hand bookshop on Calle Verdi on Gracia, a block down from the cinema, on your left as you approach Pl de la Revolucio.

I did not remember yesterday.

britabroad
English
Bokshops Barcelona Apr 11, 2004

This is THE best seond hand bookshop in Barcelona !!!!
Elephant Books
Creu dels Molers 12
Poble Sec
Barcelona
Go here for the map :- http://www.lfantbooks.4t.com/

britabroad
English
RE: My post before about the Elephant Bookshop Barcelona Dec 4, 2005

RafaLee wrote:

Thank you very much

The shop has a new web site with more information and a better map :- http://www.lfant.biz

Just thought i,d update the post

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any good 2nd bookshop in Barcelona?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs