Mobile menu

Script to open multiple IE connections?
Thread poster: Maurice Devroye

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 22:27
English to French
Nov 8, 2003

Pour les plus astucieux d'entre nous: Quelqu'un a-t-il jamais mis au point une procédure capable d'ouvrir automatiquement plusieurs connections à internet? Chaque matin, j'ouvre 4 à 5 sessions pour pouvoir travailler avec les outils de base que sont: GDT, Google, TLFi, Eurodicautom et le dico des synonymes de Caen. Et chaque matin, je me dis "Caen, non, quand aurai-je sous la main l'assistant (wizard) qui fera ça automatiquement?"

Ce programme existe-t-il? Sinon, comment l'inventer? Merci de vos lumières but, please no dead chicken waving at me... MD
http://www.linux-france.org/prj/jargonf/general/bgfrm.html

Wave a dead chicken = To perform a ritual in the direction of crashed software or hardware that one believes to be futile but is nevertheless necessary so that others are satisfied that an appropriate degree of effort has been expended. "I'll wave a dead chicken over the source code, but I really think we've run into an OS bug".

Compare voodoo programming, rain dance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
One easy answer - use Netscape Nov 8, 2003

[quote]Maurice Devroye wrote:

Pour les plus astucieux d'entre nous: Quelqu'un a-t-il jamais mis au point une procédure capable d'ouvrir automatiquement plusieurs connections à internet? Chaque matin, j'ouvre 4 à 5 sessions pour pouvoir travailler avec les outils de base que sont: GDT, Google, TLFi, Eurodicautom et le dico des synonymes de Caen. Et chaque matin, je me dis "Caen, non, quand aurai-je sous la main l'assistant (wizard) qui fera ça automatiquement?"
Ce programme existe-t-il?

Mais oui, ça existe. I do exactly that every morning with my various groups of frequently used websites. Netscape 7 allows you to bookmark a group of tags, and then fetch them all with one click. They are displayed as a series of tags in one window. No program, script etc - it comes as standard. But are you brave enough to use a non-Microsoft product?

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:27
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Le clavier de Logitech.... Nov 8, 2003

Le tout dernier... j'ai programmé une partie des touches disponibles et ai tous mes dictionnaires en appuyant seulement sur la touche désirée.

Geneviève

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Not a program... Nov 9, 2003

but a handy shortcut to open new windows in IE is to choose Control + N.

I know that's not what you want, but it does help speed things up a bit.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
NetRun Nov 10, 2003

J'ai reçu ce message hier soir :

Logiciel du jour : NetRun

NetRun est un petit utilitaire très simple d'emploi qui détecte votre connexion à Internet et qui lance alors automatiquement les programmes que vous désirez.

Ceci est pratique pour lancer par exemple votre logiciel de messagerie, un site ou plusieurs sites précis dès votre connexion à Internet.

Dès que vous vous déconnectez, vous pouvez forcer l'arrêt des programmes exécutés.

Si vous souhaitez en savoir plus sur ce logiciel et le télécharger, cliquez-ici.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Here is what you asked for Nov 11, 2003

Create a file (e.g. named ie.bat) in your source folder (probably C), and insert the text below.
PROGRA~1\\INTERN~1\\IEXPLORE.EXE "www.google.de"
PROGRA~1\\INTERN~1\\IEXPLORE.EXE "www.leo.org"
Maybe you'll have to change the DOS path names according to your system.
You can verify the DOS names of your folders in their context menus (right click on the folder in Windows).
Double click on the batch file starts the instances of IE with the target locations or files opened. The example works for my German Win98 and IE6.

[Edited at 2003-11-11 09:27]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Is it possible to open several IE windows at the same time ? Nov 12, 2003

Hi Harry,

I tried the file.bat. It works with one IE window opened. Only when the first window closed, it starts the second one.

Is it possible to open several IE windows at the same time ?

Thank you !

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
several IE windows Nov 12, 2003

chance wrote:
Hi Harry,

I tried the file.bat. It works with one IE window opened. Only when the first window closed, it starts the second one.

Is it possible to open several IE windows at the same time ?

Thank you !
Hi Chance,
on my computer it opens any number of IE windows, even if none was openend. It only takes 4 seconds to open the next one.

If you send me you batch file as an attachement I can check it - that's all I can do..

Harry.Bornemann@t-online.de

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you Harry ! Nov 12, 2003

After having discussed with Maurice,I created a few files.bat, each with a URL. Then put them one after another in NetRun start list. In this way, IE sessions can be opened consecutively without closing the precedent one.

Thank you again.

Sorry for my poor English as bad as my French.

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 22:27
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It's not marketed by Microsoft and I am using it... Nov 13, 2003

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread. I tried several options. And chose NetRun for its flexibility. It's a nice way to get the computer geared up for the day's work. Congratulations and thanks to Thomas J. Czarnecki (aka Czar), the author, who took the time to send the following configuration tips:
1) Open " C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer " (assuming that Windows is installed in drive C:, adjust if NOT) then right click on 'IEXPLORE' and select 'Create Shortcut'

2) Rename the newly created shortcut to something that reflects the site you are going to add (ie: CzarSoft)

3) Drag & Drop the new shortcut into NetRun's Setup run list

4) Add the address of the website to the 'Arguments' field (ie: www.czarsoft.com)

5) Delete the shortcut created in step 1, if you like!

I'm planning on adding simple 'Drag & Dropping' of URL shortcuts to NetRun in the near future, when I get some free time...

Regards,
Czar.

Après recherches et essais, NetRun s'avère être ce qu'il y a de plus pratique et efficace. Pendant que je finis tranquillement ma promenade et/ou mon café du matin, ce petit logiciel (génial et gratuit!) organise le bureau et ouvre les fenêtres en éliminant des dizaines de clic-clac-cloc de souris. Ci-dessus: comment, d'après l'auteur lui-même, le configurer.

[Edited at 2003-11-13 16:58]

[Edited at 2003-11-13 16:59]

[Edited at 2003-11-13 17:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Script to open multiple IE connections?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs