danilingua
danilingua  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:43
English to German
+ ...
Nov 22, 2003

Hi,

I am looking for sources/links/glossary to help me translate documents such as "Geburtsurkunde, Zeugnisse from school and employer, Bundeswehrbescheinigung" from German into English (certified).

First question: Date: We are leaving the German version to write dates, correct? We dont change on official documents? Thank you!

Daniela

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:43
German to English
About the dates: Nov 23, 2003

Daniela Gotta wrote:

First question: Date: We are leaving the German version to write dates, correct? We dont change on official documents? Thank you!

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

The thing is, a date like 01.03.1980 might be read two different ways (January 3 in the USA and March 1 in Britain). So personally I write the name of the month in full if there's any chance of a misunderstanding.

The links and resources I have mainly relate to educational and training certificates rather than birth, marriage and immigration-type documents. But in case it helps, I've found these links useful:

Ausbildung PlusGerman portal on vocational qualifications
Information in German on the recognised occupations, searchable alphabetically or by sector. No English translations but detailed notes include job descriptions and possible further qualifications.

Genealogie der staatlich anerkannten Ausbildungsberufe im dualen System
In German, helps with identifying qualifications which no longer exist, definitions go back to 1945

Federal Ministry of Economics and Labour(BMWA)
Official information on training and careers, includes job descriptions

Alphabetical index to (old edition of) the Dictionary of Occupational Titles (DOT) as supplied electronically by the US Dept. of Labor

I was working on a collection of resources like these for my new website, but for the last few weeks I've been too busy to make much progress with it ... I'll post again when it eventually goes live!

All the best, Deborah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Official Documents (G-E) - looking for links and support

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »