Voice recognition software
Thread poster: rmmateo27
rmmateo27  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 16, 2003

Hello, I am a Eng-Spa freelance keen on purchasing a voice recognition software. After some research on the web I have come to the conclusion that IBm Via Voice Pro and Dragon NaturallySpeaking are the best ones. Can anybody cast some light on this matter?
Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dragon Dec 16, 2003

Hi

I have been using Dragon Naturally Speaking for a couple of years now and I am fully satisfied with it.

Sabina

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Sabina Dec 16, 2003

I've always wondered: can you combine this software with CAT tools, Excel, PowerPoint etc? Also, if you overwrite the original text, are you likely to get a mess?
How about tables?

I've read positive opinions about Dragon, but they never really describe how it performs in combination with the various software.

Also, if you have to insert a foreign word, does it recognizes it?

Hope I am not asking too much!
TIA for your opinion.
Ciao
Lucia

Marina Zinno  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Dragon Dec 16, 2003

I used dragon and it works fine, I was satisfied with it!
User friendly and quite reliable

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
Partial member
German to English
+ ...
Multi-language support? Dec 16, 2003

While we're on the subject: Can these speech recognition products be set up to work in several languages? Specifically, to accept dictation in both English and German?

sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Hi Lucia Dec 16, 2003

I regularly use it both with Trados and/or tables, with no problems at all!

Sabina

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:22
German to English
+ ...
One copy for each language Dec 17, 2003

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:

While we're on the subject: Can these speech recognition products be set up to work in several languages? Specifically, to accept dictation in both English and German?

I believe, Norbert, that you need a different copy of Dragon for each language.

I have been using Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional 7 since August and I had major problems with it two weeks ago. It slowed up so much with Trados that on two occasions I had to start typing again to finish the job by the deadline. Obviously, this was hard, as I hadn't been typing for a while.

So what did you do, Robin?

I tried the Scansoft website and they charmingly offered to charge me around $20 for support by e-mail. About three days later, I tried again and found no mention of the charge!

The help was excellent - must be the most knowledgeable technical support staff I've ever come across (they helped me once before)- and they told me to do various things. Dragon is now working great with Trados and I did a fairly rushed job last
night no probs.

I still have small recognition problems like "our" instead of "are" and the word "two" is a problem, both as a word and a numeral. Capital letters are also tricky -maybe that's just me. The product is constantly being improved and I've already had one free update.

In a nutshell, Dragon has been a huge help as it has reduced eye-strain which had developed into a medical problem for me.

Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
German to English
I go for Dragon Dec 17, 2003

I have been using various Dragon systems for years now and have always been very satisfied. Currently I am using an English / German version in one programm.
When you switch languages you just have to load the appropriate speech files - a matter of maybe 10 seconds.
I can really recommend the programm.
Anthony Williams
Vienna

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice recognition software

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs