Laurent 1973 (X)
Laurent 1973 (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:01
English to French
+ ...
Dec 17, 2003

Hi,

I often have to deal with repetitive texts and quite often whole sentences or paragraphs are repeated except maybe for a couple of words. If the original texts were in an electronic format, I would use a software for computer-aided translation. The problem is that I get paper documents. I was thinking of scanning those docs but how can I turn them from a series of images to text so I can then try to use a CAT software? Is there any software that does such conversion???
... See more
Hi,

I often have to deal with repetitive texts and quite often whole sentences or paragraphs are repeated except maybe for a couple of words. If the original texts were in an electronic format, I would use a software for computer-aided translation. The problem is that I get paper documents. I was thinking of scanning those docs but how can I turn them from a series of images to text so I can then try to use a CAT software? Is there any software that does such conversion???

Thanks

Laurent
Collapse

Jutta Amri
Jutta Amri  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
OCR-Software Dec 18, 2003

You need an OCR-software like Abby Finereader or Omnipage pro. You can scan your documents with this software and then you will get the texts in MS-Word or so. Once you have your documents electronically, you may use a CAT-tool like trados, déja vu or wordfast. But you should search the forum, this subject has been discussed for several times here at proz.com.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can use an OCR Dec 18, 2003

Laurent 1973 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Laurent

Of course there is, it's called an OCR (Optical Recognition Software). The most popular ones are OmniPage and FineReader. I use FineReader because it respects things like columns, tables and the like.

The normal sequence is:

a) Scan the document (if text, use TIF in black/white, 300 ppp)
b) OCR the document
c) Export it to .RTF or .DOC

Finereader does it automatically, and from there on you can use your favorite CAT tool.

About avoiding repetitive typing , that's what a TM (Translation Memory) is for. You can use Wordfast for it.

Regards

Edwal

http://www.proz.com/home/4951

[Edited at 2003-12-18 19:43]

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
FINEREADER IS A MAGIC! Dec 18, 2003

FINEREADER IS A MAGIC!
The best OCR thing. WE are using it to translate faxes (!) and drawings with Trados.

http://www.abbyy.com/ocr_products.asp?param=28603

Joanne Panteleon
Joanne Panteleon
Greece
Local time: 14:01
English to Greek
+ ...
Question on abyy OCR Dec 23, 2003

FINEREADER IS A MAGIC!
The best OCR thing. WE are using it to translate faxes (!) and drawings with Trados.

http://www.abbyy.com/ocr_products.asp?param=28603[/quote]

Hi!...On the same subject and for those among you who have used it, I'd like to ask how this abbyy ocr software is performing!.. I am working with documents written/typed in Greek and
... See more
FINEREADER IS A MAGIC!

http://www.abbyy.com/ocr_products.asp?param=28603[/quote]

Hi!...On the same subject and for those among you who have used it, I'd like to ask how this abbyy ocr software is performing!.. I am working with documents written/typed in Greek and my problem is that I can't really trust the OCR Readiris 11.0 version I have with my HP scanner!...my question is, does it perform sufficiently well even with a language like Greek with a particular spelling etc... has anybody used it with a difficult language, say Russian for example?...

Thanks for any input!
Joanne
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software to avoid retyping same sentences/paragraphs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »