Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Looking for good German>English technical/IT dictionaries
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
Partial member (2003)
German to English
Dec 25, 2003

I have no good German>English technical dictionaries/IT dictionaries and would like to find one or several such print dictionaries, whether new or used. I really do not plan on translating technical texts as such in the near future, but I do a lot of contracts. Oftentimes, technical specifications, names of machinery, , building terms, IT terms, etc. can come up. So I would like to have a technical dictionary which could take care of most of this. I have a very large unabridged dictionary, but it seems to be of very limited help.

So I would be most appreciative if anyone could make any good suggestions for good print technical dictionaries or IT dictionaries(, assuming that a technical dictionary might still be lacking in IT). I have had no trouble finding them on Amazon and elsewhere. You know, you just hate to spend a lot of money and it turns out to be, well, junk.

Any good suggestions for online dictionaries in these areas would also be most appreciated.

Merry Christmas.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:15
German to English
Technical dicos Dec 25, 2003

[quote]Ron Stelter wrote:

Oftentimes, technical specifications, names of machinery, building terms, IT terms, etc. can come up. So I would like to have a technical dictionary which could take care of most of this.

Ron, I don't think you'll find one technical dictionary that "could take care of most of this." IT language in particular is constantly changing. I stay away from IT translations, but if I do get a text that includes such terminology, I start using my online research skills and I always ask myself "how is the term used in this specific text?" Bi-lingual sites often help a great deal.

Walther/Schmitt Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften
2002. Preis 129,00

Everybody loves Ernst. I don't know what the latest edition of the printed version is but here's the latest on CD-ROM.

Ernst Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik auf CD-ROM Januar 2004. Preis 210,00

Siemens Fachwörterbuch industrielle Elektrotechnik, Energie- und Automatisierungstechnik
Preis 79,90

Gelbrich Fachwörterbuch Architektur und Bauwesen Preis 99,00

Schanner Wörterbuch Informationstechnik und Medien Preis 56,00

http://www.kater-commerce.com/index.php

Merry Christmas!

[Edited at 2003-12-25 23:34]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
English to Polish
+ ...
I'd check if Microsoft glossaries are OK Dec 25, 2003

These are big ones an the are free...
When i get well after a party i can supply a link
But you should easily find them...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
They are fantastic Dec 26, 2003

And they are just what the doctor ordered. The link is given below:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/Glossary/
The only catch is the size of the zip files. The French and the German zips togther claim more than 35 MB. But once downloaded to your hard disk, it becomes a good reference, irrespective the Internet connection.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
rzawadzk wrote:

These are big ones an the are free...
When i get well after a party i can supply a link
But you should easily find them...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:15
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Ernst is the one Dec 26, 2003

If you don't have the alternatives, it's difficult to be sure but many have commented: "Ernst takes you a long way" which IMHO means: If you are to choose ONE, Ernst is the one.
I have used it for 3 years on CD and I am enthusiastic.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : MatsWiman@tele2.se
Street: Träsk 201
Post : S-872 97 Skog
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Regarding Microsoft glossaries Dec 26, 2003

In the past, I have tried to download some of the Microsoft glossaries. However, I kept getting some error message denying me access (not being enabled or something like that).





Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

And they are just what the doctor ordered. The link is given below:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/Glossary/
The only catch is the size of the zip files. The French and the German zips togther claim more than 35 MB. But once downloaded to your hard disk, it becomes a good reference, irrespective the Internet connection.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
rzawadzk wrote:

These are big ones an the are free...
When i get well after a party i can supply a link
But you should easily find them...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
Better luck this time Dec 26, 2003

Ron Stelter wrote:

In the past, I have tried to download some of the Microsoft glossaries. However, I kept getting some error message denying me access (not being enabled or something like that)
.
If you try to download with dial-up connection, it will take a long time. Hope it is not so in your case.
Anyhow I am lucky to have cable connection with 512kbps browsing speed and was able to download the French as well as the German zips. Do try. You may be lucky this time.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2003-12-26 16:49]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:15
German to English
+ ...
The new Ge-En Ernst is finally here!! Dec 26, 2003

2003 edition, 120 EUR.
See kater-verlag.de, Artikel Nr. 3074.

CD-Rom, both directions (all new) 210 EUR, Artikel Nr. 2767.

Trudy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
It is really good news, but... Dec 27, 2003

Is it a fully revised edition and if so upto which year has it been updated or is it just a reprint of the edition I purchased way back in 1984?
Can anybody clarify this point? The amount is substantial and one has to be careful before ordering the dictionary. The publisher's site is delightfully vague on this point or I have missed the indications thereof.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Trudy Peters wrote:

2003 edition, 120 EUR.
See kater-verlag.de, Artikel Nr. 3074.

CD-Rom, both directions (all new) 210 EUR, Artikel Nr. 2767.

Trudy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:15
German to English
+ ...
New Ge-En Ernst Dec 27, 2003

Narasimhan, here's the blurb from the Kater website:

Ernst

Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik

2003. Band I. 6. Von Herrn Udo Amm vollständig überarbeitete und erweiterte Auflage mit rund 220.000 Stichworten. Rund 26.000 neue Begriffe, die den Stand der modernen industriellen Technik reflektieren. Neueinträge aus der Kommunikations-und Informationstechnik. Alle technischen Begriffe der exakten Wissenschaften und der angewandten Technik. Deutsch / Englisch. Gebunden


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
German to English
+ ...
Ernst Dec 27, 2003

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Is it a fully revised edition and if so up to which year has it been updated or is it just a reprint of the edition I purchased way back in 1984?


Narasimhan,

The different editions of Ernst are quite confusing, and as you say you need to be careful.

The main things to remember with Ernst are:

1. The two directions (e.g. DE>EN and EN>DE) must be regarded as separate dictionaries. New editions of the two volumes appear at completely different times, so one "direction" is invariably a lot more up to date than the other.

2. Electronic follows print. In other words, the CD is only ever a "snapshot" of the print dictionaries available at the time the CD appeared. So, a CD that appeared in a given year will have the same content as two print dictionaries which appeared in two different previous years. One of these two may even be several years out of date. For this reason, it's misleading to talk about the CD being an "edition".

3. The CD has a full-text search facility. Don't overlook the importance of this! It means that you can in effect use the "wrong" direction on the CD, which may be much more up to date than the direction you would normally use.

4. The CD is upgradable for roughly half the cost of a new CD.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
Thanks Trudy Dec 28, 2003

Dear Trudy,
Thanks for the friendly mail and greetings, which I reciprocate wholeheartedly. After my posting I clicked the button for "helping in arriving at a decision" in the Kater Website. 3 random pages were displayed. By comparing the same with the corresponding entries in my copy, I could conclude that it was indeed a revised edition. But I could not find as to upto what year it has been updated. No matter, I have already placed the order with my local bookseller.

Many greetings of the season,
N.Raghavan

Trudy Peters wrote:
Narasimhan, here's the blurb from the Kater website:

Ernst

Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik

2003. Band I. 6. Von Herrn Udo Amm vollständig überarbeitete und erweiterte Auflage mit rund 220.000 Stichworten. Rund 26.000 neue Begriffe, die den Stand der modernen industriellen Technik reflektieren. Neueinträge aus der Kommunikations-und Informationstechnik. Alle technischen Begriffe der exakten Wissenschaften und der angewandten Technik. Deutsch / Englisch. Gebunden


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
Thanks MarcPrior Dec 28, 2003

MarcPrior wrote:
The main things to remember with Ernst are:
1. The two directions (e.g. DE>EN and EN>DE) must be regarded as separate dictionaries. New editions of the two volumes appear at completely different times, so one "direction" is invariably a lot more up to date than the other.
Marc


You are quite right and I am aware of this state of things. For example, in the 1984 International Book Fair at New Delhi, India way back in 1984, I was able to buy the Bänder 1,2 and 9, the last one being French>English. I had to wait till 1993 to buy the 10th one for the English>French. Since then I have been on the lookout for the revised editions and only now I am successful. But one thing is certain. Inspite of this stagnation, it is quite valuable, especially in the traditional engineering fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering etc. Hence my anxiety to procure the updates as and when they appear.
Of late I see a trend, whereby the printed dictionaries are being neglected and I am dismayed by it. So much so that I initiated a separate thread for this, see: http://www.proz.com/topic/14508


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:15
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Ernst update Jan 2, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:
4. The CD is upgradable for roughly half the cost of a new CD.


As the Brandstetter website does not mention the updating possibility, I sent an e-mail to them for more info and got the following reply:

ja, ein Update für das Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik auf CD-ROM (Deutsch-Englisch/Englisch-Deutsch) gibt es, und zwar jeweils für die Besitzer der Vorversion. In diesem Fall gilt also: wenn Sie die CD-ROM mit der ISBN 3-87097-201-7 besitzen,
können Sie die Mitte des Monats erscheinende Neuauflage (mit dem neuen Band I Deutsch-Englisch darauf) gegen Rücksendung dieser "alten" CD-ROm zum Preis von € 105,- statt des normalen Preises von € 210,- erwerben. Dahinter steht der Gedanke, dass ja die Hälfte des Inhalts der CD-ROM, nämlich der englisch-deutsche Wortschatz, noch der ist, den Sie auf Ihrer CD-ROM bereits besitzen.

Unfortunately, I have the ..-182-7 version, so I'll have to pay the full price.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
roak
United States
Member
German to English
Ernst update! Mar 12, 2004

Yes thats True! The Brandstetter Verlag markets these dictionaries through the company ACOLADA GmbH. I had called them to find out how it works. I was told to send the old Cd and I would receive a new one after the EUR 105 were transferred.

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

MarcPrior wrote:
4. The CD is upgradable for roughly half the cost of a new CD.


As the Brandstetter website does not mention the updating possibility, I sent an e-mail to them for more info and got the following reply:

ja, ein Update für das Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik auf CD-ROM (Deutsch-Englisch/Englisch-Deutsch) gibt es, und zwar jeweils für die Besitzer der Vorversion. In diesem Fall gilt also: wenn Sie die CD-ROM mit der ISBN 3-87097-201-7 besitzen,
können Sie die Mitte des Monats erscheinende Neuauflage (mit dem neuen Band I Deutsch-Englisch darauf) gegen Rücksendung dieser "alten" CD-ROm zum Preis von € 105,- statt des normalen Preises von € 210,- erwerben. Dahinter steht der Gedanke, dass ja die Hälfte des Inhalts der CD-ROM, nämlich der englisch-deutsche Wortschatz, noch der ist, den Sie auf Ihrer CD-ROM bereits besitzen.

Unfortunately, I have the ..-182-7 version, so I'll have to pay the full price.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for good German>English technical/IT dictionaries

Advanced search


Translation news





Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs