Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:49
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Waste of time Jun 9, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
And there's one more plus: Across is so complicated that if you learn how to use it, going over to a different tool will be a piece of cake.

Do you value Elli's time so low that you advise her to waste it on a program that is overly complicated and barely known? It is possible that some of her clients might require it (as it has gained some popularity in Germany), but overall it is a niche software.

I suggest trial versions of either Trados (most often required by agencies), but somewhat daunting for a beginner or MemoQ - less popular, but said to be rather easy to jump into. 30 or 45 days are more than enough to get the basics.

Also, surely you can work on a real job - just make sure you reserve enough time before deadline that you can do it once again in the old way, if the CAT way fails (or you need to take more time for it).

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Waste of time? Jun 9, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
And there's one more plus: Across is so complicated that if you learn how to use it, going over to a different tool will be a piece of cake.

Do you value Elli's time so low that you advise her to waste it on a program that is overly complicated and barely known? It is possible that some of her clients might require it (as it has gained some popularity in Germany), but overall it is a niche software.

Not in the least. The importance of Across is growing, whether we like it or not, and still it is a free tool that will work for a beginner. On the other hand, I consider it a waste of time working with trial versions that will only work for limited time/number of TUs.

If I understood correctly, Elli was looking for a free introduction into the world of CATs. Well, Across is free with all the functions and features it has and the 3 GB of MS SQL Lite database will provide enough space to work with the tool for at least two years.

[Upraveno: 2010-06-09 16:31 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:49
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Across Jun 9, 2010

I had a lot of problems trying to install Across:

http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/119906-help_across_messed_up_my_computer.html

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Simple and Free - Wordfast Anywhere Jun 10, 2010

ElliCom wrote:
I almost downloaded Wordfast, but even the download instructions seemed intimidating. I've recently heard of Metatexis, MemoQ, Across and OmegaT (got great reviews and is free). I'd like to test the software, but can't possibly do that on an actual job.

Hi ElliCom,

You can actually test our free, web-based TM tool, Wordfast Anywhere. No download or installation of any software is necessary. Simply go to www.freetm.com, register for free, and you can begin working on projects right inside of your web browser. Wordfast Anywhere enables you to create new TMs and glossaries or upload pre-existing ones. Also, you can invite colleagues to share your TM assets for free. All of your files are kept completely confidential - they are stored in a private workspace on a centralized server and are never shared with anyone unless you specifically invite them. Also, you can login from any computer and still access all of the TM assets and project files that you have stored in your workspace.

Hope this helps,

Kristyna

Eleanore Strauss
Eleanore Strauss  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast anywhere; Samuel Murray, Tom in London Jun 10, 2010

Kristyna,

That sounds great, I think I'll try that to get my feet wet. It may be the best solution before I get my computer upgraded to handle bigger files. But that would mean I wouldn't have anything saved on my computer, and would always have to log in. Am I correct?

Samuel Murray -
Thanks for your tips. I think it just looked intimidating because it's new. I've had this experience with new programs in the past and once you start to work with it, you wo
... See more
Kristyna,

That sounds great, I think I'll try that to get my feet wet. It may be the best solution before I get my computer upgraded to handle bigger files. But that would mean I wouldn't have anything saved on my computer, and would always have to log in. Am I correct?

Samuel Murray -
Thanks for your tips. I think it just looked intimidating because it's new. I've had this experience with new programs in the past and once you start to work with it, you wonder how you ever did without it.

Tom in London: You are so right. I can't believe all the hours of training and the manuals that are required for some of these tools. I may actually try this method.

By the way, a translator friend and colleague in Switzerland has developed his own tools. They're easy to understand and cheap. I've tested the glossary tool and the tool for entering chunks of text that are boilerplate or repetitions and they work well.

Here's a link: http://www.itla.ch/t4t/tools.php
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I would highly recommend Across (to the more advanced user) Jun 11, 2010

For those of us who are not just starting out, but who are looking for The Right TEnT...

I felt the need to say (again) that I really think Across is one of the best out there. I am planning on paying for the full version in order to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, to remove the mentioned 3GB TM limit. Until then, however, it is fully free, and I can keep my TM's under that limit with a little careful planning. Additionally, the support has been super!

My c
... See more
For those of us who are not just starting out, but who are looking for The Right TEnT...

I felt the need to say (again) that I really think Across is one of the best out there. I am planning on paying for the full version in order to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, to remove the mentioned 3GB TM limit. Until then, however, it is fully free, and I can keep my TM's under that limit with a little careful planning. Additionally, the support has been super!

My clients currently (still) demand uncleaned Word doc's, and so I would really like to be able to supply them! However, currently, I am creating them from scratch (once I have finished translating in Across), by using the TMX from the finished Across project. So far this is working great. I have tried other options, but at the moment I feel it is worth it to stick with Across, because I like how the program works and see it has great potential.

p.s. I have had no installation problems whatsoever. It runs very smooth and fast and is stable. Just make a System Restore Point prior to installing it. (I am running it on a desktop with Windows XP Pro + dual core 3.5 GHz + 3.5 GB RAM)

[Edited at 2010-06-11 01:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-06-11 01:58 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If you can, get a live colleague to help Jun 11, 2010

I was terrified of Trados, but was working in house, at the time, and my employer insisted. On the other hand, I was also shown the ropes by a live person who could keep me on the straight and narrow and prompt me when I was uncertain.

This need not take many hours, but it is absolutely invaluable. You can start with a text or project that is already set up, and learn what you are aiming at and how it feels.

It is very hard to ´break into´ a CAT -- for someone like me
... See more
I was terrified of Trados, but was working in house, at the time, and my employer insisted. On the other hand, I was also shown the ropes by a live person who could keep me on the straight and narrow and prompt me when I was uncertain.

This need not take many hours, but it is absolutely invaluable. You can start with a text or project that is already set up, and learn what you are aiming at and how it feels.

It is very hard to ´break into´ a CAT -- for someone like me at least!

Once you have seen it work and learnt the basic routines, you can try out the slightly more advanced features. They are often the ones that make it all worthwhile, and when you understand them, they are intuitive. But it can bevery confusing all at once.

I have just been on a workshop with a live colleague again - and it made all the difference with the new Trados 2009. I would never have found out how to start alone.

Wordfast Classic is probably good to start with, but I keep coming back to Trados...

Best of luck!
Collapse

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
MetaTexis Lite Jun 15, 2010

Paul Cohen wrote:

MetaTexis Lite can be downloaded for free (and it doesn't turn into a pumpkin after XX days, weeks or years). You can't beat that. The program was designed and developed by a German translator, and it's very user-friendly. I'd give it a try, and if you need a tip or two, feel free to drop me a line.

Check out: www.metatexis.com

Thanks, Paul, for recommending MetaTexis Lite. Being new to CAT tools as well, I downloaded MetaTexis the other day and started playing around with it. I must say, it seems pretty intuitive (I only read about 5 pages of the online manual and just gave it a try with a sample text). Of course, it will have to stand the test of time, but my first impression of it was great.

[Edited at 2010-06-16 17:51 GMT]

Anja C.
Anja C.  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German
MetaTexis - wholeheartedly Jun 15, 2010

I've tried Wordfast, Trados (Suite & Studio), Déjà-Vu – and stick to MetaTexis. Wholeheartedly.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try OmegaT Jun 16, 2010

ElliCom wrote:

I simply don't know how or where to start.

OmegaT comes with a 5-minute start guide that is displayed when you launch the program. Well, try it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I get started with a CAT tool?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »