Luis Quirindongo  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:32
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2004

Hello to everyone,

I've been looking around to see if some company somewhere had a machine translation program from English into Hindi for sale. But it seems that machine translation into this language is in diapers at the moment, so aside from online translators, transliterators and dictionary software, I never found an MT proper.

There was one exception but it's ludicrously expensive (240,000 Rupees, or $5,000+ USD!!)

So does anyone know of any affordable
... See more
Hello to everyone,

I've been looking around to see if some company somewhere had a machine translation program from English into Hindi for sale. But it seems that machine translation into this language is in diapers at the moment, so aside from online translators, transliterators and dictionary software, I never found an MT proper.

There was one exception but it's ludicrously expensive (240,000 Rupees, or $5,000+ USD!!)

So does anyone know of any affordable MT into Hindi (or other Indian languages?) Is suppose the quality is not good if the technology isn't too developed, but I just want to know if it exists.

Thanks in advance,
LQ
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:02
English to Hindi
+ ...
Good point Jan 16, 2004

Luis Jose Quirindongo wrote:

Hello to everyone,

So does anyone know of any affordable MT into Hindi (or other Indian languages?) Is suppose the quality is not good if the technology isn't too developed, but I just want to know if it exists.

Thanks in advance,
LQ

You are right. MT is still not there for Indic languages. But you'll find offline dictionary software. And there are plans to have online dictionaries. Those who are offering for 240,000 Rs. is too expensive and who knows if it is fraudulent.

But an authentic source to contact would be CDAC. www.cdacindia.com

However, the question is how can one help you?

Roomy Naqvy
India

milinad
milinad  Identity Verified
German to English
I concur with Mr. Navy Jan 16, 2004

Roomy Naqvy wrote:

Hello to everyone,

Thanks in advance,
LQ

You are right. MT is still not there for Indic languages. But you'll find offline dictionary software. And there are plans to have online dictionaries. Those who are offering for 240,000 Rs. is too expensive and who knows if it is fraudulent.

But an authentic source to contact would be CDAC. www.cdacindia.com

Roomy Naqvy
India

i do not think there is MT in any indian language. CDAC is working on language specific software but nothing specific to translation. there are some softwares available with transliterate english into hindi which are mainly used by govt. organisations for generating bilingula list of employees etc.

Luis Quirindongo
Luis Quirindongo  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:32
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glass half full... Jan 16, 2004

Hello to everyone, and thank you for your comments.
I am sorry to hear that, because we were looking for such software... I did find some links to CDAC software in the Government's Ministry of Information Technology page:
http://tdil.mit.gov.in/download/Tools.htm
However, not much else.

I did find some software for translating between Indian languages at IIT Kanpur
... See more
Hello to everyone, and thank you for your comments.
I am sorry to hear that, because we were looking for such software... I did find some links to CDAC software in the Government's Ministry of Information Technology page:
http://tdil.mit.gov.in/download/Tools.htm
However, not much else.

I did find some software for translating between Indian languages at IIT Kanpur, but not Eng>Hindi. There are systems for this (Anglabharti, AnglaHindi, HindiAngla, Anusaraka, etc.) being developed at Kanpur but most are web-based. There is also a heavy-duty transliteration package for Linux systems but I don't remember the name. That is all I found.

So could you reccommend some good, affordable agencies for getting translations done into Hindi? How much is the regular rate in India for English to Hindi translation?

Thank you,
Luis
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
No success yet Jan 18, 2004

The utility and authenticity of machine translation always remains to be in doubt because a machine can't replace the human capabilities and competence, especially while talking in terms of creative and artistic fields like translation. Moreover, the syntax, culture and construction of English and Hindi is so different that the efforts made in the direction of machince translation have not provided any encouraging results. Of course, a few softwares have been developed, but their usefulness is... See more
The utility and authenticity of machine translation always remains to be in doubt because a machine can't replace the human capabilities and competence, especially while talking in terms of creative and artistic fields like translation. Moreover, the syntax, culture and construction of English and Hindi is so different that the efforts made in the direction of machince translation have not provided any encouraging results. Of course, a few softwares have been developed, but their usefulness is questionable because they don't provide a good automatic translation and if we have to spend a great deal of time in making corrections and amendments, the very purpose of machine translation is defeated.

You have made a query in respect of translation agencies dealing in the field of English to Hindi translations. I suggest you to go to Directory>Agencies and then fill up the requisite language pair. You'll have a wide choice of agencies for getting your work done.

Good luck
Collapse

decolady
decolady
English
try this site Oct 7, 2004

This website is online, and its FREE for Hindi to English translations. It's a bit broken up of a translation, but it gets the point accross when you have something to say to a certain Hindu "gentleman" that will not leave you alone in a chat room after repeated polite attempts to do so. Good Luck!

http://anglahindi.iitk.ac.in/translation.htm

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:32
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Eng>Hindi MT Oct 9, 2004

LQ

The best people to ask about this are the following concerning an MT conference that will be held in India next month.
regards,
Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/

----
Sent : Thursday, August 26, 2004 7:58 AM
To : "Prof. R.M.K. Sinha"
Subject : Re: [Mt-list] International Symposium on MT.NLP & Translation SupportSystems, Nov. 17-19, 2004 at New Delhi, India

I would like to add one line to what Professor Dr. R.M.K. Sinha
has mentioned. Practically India has 23 officially recognized languages
viz. Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada,
Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali,
Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu.

Thanks and regards,

V.M.Sachdeva
http://www.linguaden.com

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 10:44 PM
Subject: [Mt-list] International Symposium on MT.NLP & Translation
SupportSystems, Nov. 17-19, 2004 at New Delhi, India

>
> The International Symposium on MT, NLP and Translation Support
> Systems (iSTRANS-2004) is scheduled to be held during November 17-19,
> 2004 at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, India.
> The International symposium on machine translation, natural
> language processing and translation support systems, is intended to
> act as a forum for promoting interaction among the researchers,
> developers and users across the world in the general area of machine
> translation and natural language processing.
> India is a highly multilingual country with more than 18 officially
> recognized languages and hundreds of dialects in use. These languages
> are being used by millions of people in South Asia, South-East Asia,
> Mauritius, Fiji and as minority languages in Europe, Canada and USA.
> Thus India forms a good test-bed for testing translation strategies in
> a practical sense.
>
> Scope:
> The scope of the conference spans a wide spectrum of topics which
> include (but not limited to) the following:
> " MT Strategies for simultaneous translations
> " RBMT
> " EBMT
> " SMT
> " MEMT
> " Corpus based MT
> " Hybrid Systems
> " NLP Grammar & Parsing
> " Semantic & Lexical Resources
> " Summarization
> " Cross-Lingual Information Retrieval
> " Translation Support Systems
> " MT evaluation & Test Bed Design
> " S2S MT
> " Translation Front-end Systems (OCR, ASR etc)
> " Translation Back-end Systems (TTS, fomatting etc)
>
> iSTRANS-04 is being held in association with SPLASH-2004. The
> conference will have a number of key-note speakers who are actively
> involved in R & D activities in this area.
>
> Contributions are invited for iSTRANS-04. You may submit an extended
> abstract in electronic form to: latest by 15th
> September 2004. Acceptance will be communicated by 10th October 2004.
> The deadline for receiving final manuscript is 20th October 2004.
>
> The conference website is:
> http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/users/langtech/istrans04.htm
>
> Thanks,
> RMK Sinha
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Dr. R.M.K. Sinha
> Professor
> Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur 208016 India
> Home-page URL: http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/users/rmk/
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>

[Edited at 2004-10-23 21:47]

[Edited at 2004-10-23 21:47]

[Edited at 2004-12-29 13:30]

anjali roy
anjali roy
English to Hindi
ENGLISH TO HINDI Translaor Software exists. Nov 8, 2006

Anjali Roy wrote:

Hello to everyone,

Thanks in advance,
LQ

India’s first Computer translator from English to Hindi “ANUVAADAK”. This Software is very useful, user-friendly and cost effective solution saving both time & effort and will also reduce expenses of Govt. of India. This is the only Software on-road .ANUVAADAK’ packs a revolutionary translation engine which accepts an entire document as INPUT in English and translates it into Hindi in one go implementing major grammar rules of Hindi and English Language along with high degree of accurate meaning of English and Hindi word.

Another key feature of ‘ANUVAADAK’ Software is the Facility for on-line translation with editing facility (addition, modification, deletion) for both English text as well as in Hindi text. The user interface of Anuvaadak is simple and an English Word Processor is in-built which incorporates a spell-checker in both English and Hindi along with a thesaurus and grammer checker. The Software is cosly,since it has not been funded by any body for the R&D expnses.

The output carries 85 to 90% accurate without customization. on customization acuracy goes up to 98%.

Anjali Roychowdhury.
India

kiran123 (X)
kiran123 (X)
English to Marathi
online service for translation of english to marathi Jun 9, 2007

ya,exactly.we find a lot of stuff on net..even i came across a site namely www.quillpad.in this translates english script to marathi...you write marathi in english script and it 'll translate it to marathi script...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English>Hindi MT: Does it even exist???

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »