https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/18265-what_does_it_mean_in_english_q_for_german_speakers.html

What does it mean in English? (Q. for German speakers)
Thread poster: Sam Berner
Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:57
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 10, 2004

I am an Arabic into English translator, and this bit was a paragraph in German - I threw it into Systran, but the end part doesn't make sense to me!

PLEASE HELP!

"Bei Vernehmungen bezichtigte der Beschuldigte seinen Vater, die Leiche beseitigt zu haben. Dieses Verhalten wäre aus rechtlicher Sicht straflos, da die Strafvereitelung zugunsten des Sohnes begangen worden wäre. "

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 16:57
English to German
+ ...
KudoZ Feb 10, 2004

Hi Sam,

I suggest you use the KudoZ asking form. That way all the German>English translators may help you out very fast. Someone will get KudoZ points for answering, and above all: we all will finally profit from the translation.

Michaela

Sam Berner
Australia
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It won't take the paragraph :-) Feb 10, 2004

Hi Michaela,

I tried, but it wouldn't let me put the whole paragraph in. I might be simply using it incorrectly, so if you can help....

Sam

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Paragraph Feb 10, 2004

Sam Berner wrote:

Hi Michaela,

I tried, but it wouldn't let me put the whole paragraph in. I might be simply using it incorrectly, so if you can help....

Sam

Hi Sam,
You have to put the paragraph in the box "Explanation/More about term". In the box "Term or phrase", you could simply put "End of the following sentence, please" or so.

HTH,
Sylvain

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Suggestion Feb 10, 2004

Citing the KudoZ rules: "1.3 - Texts longer than 10 words should not be posted as KudoZ questions, but as jobs."

Anyway, I just saw a very long sentence in the French>English section, and I hope it won't be considered wrong by the moderators if I suggest you cut the sentence into different parts, put the most difficult part into the term box, and add the whole sentence in the context field of the form.

You said yourself that you don't quite understand the last part of
... See more
Citing the KudoZ rules: "1.3 - Texts longer than 10 words should not be posted as KudoZ questions, but as jobs."

Anyway, I just saw a very long sentence in the French>English section, and I hope it won't be considered wrong by the moderators if I suggest you cut the sentence into different parts, put the most difficult part into the term box, and add the whole sentence in the context field of the form.

You said yourself that you don't quite understand the last part of the paragraph. If you actually also want to know what the first sentence means, just post it as a different question.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

quaker
quaker
German to English
Pretty free translation Feb 10, 2004

Sam Berner wrote:

I am an Arabic into English translator, and this bit was a paragraph in German - I threw it into Systran, but the end part doesn't make sense to me!

PLEASE HELP!

"Bei Vernehmungen bezichtigte der Beschuldigte seinen Vater, die Leiche beseitigt zu haben. Dieses Verhalten wäre aus rechtlicher Sicht straflos, da die Strafvereitelung zugunsten des Sohnes begangen worden wäre. "

This is a pretty free translation as I'm not a legal expert. The subjunctive in the second sentence would probably flummox all MT systems.

"During questioning [by the police], the accused alleged that his father had disposed of the body. [Even if true,] such an action would not be punishable from a legal point of view as the intention was to cover up a crime committed by the son. "

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Quaker's translation is fine... Feb 10, 2004

Nevertheless, I think in cases like this there's no problem to post a question with more than 10 words on KudoZ stating that your're not a German into English translator and need help.
I mean, it's not your fault, and a job posting should be done by your cliente, if any...

Sam Berner
Australia
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all, wonderful people Feb 10, 2004

Thank you for the great assistance, the suggestions, etc. I am a bit of a newcomer to Proz, and don't seem to muster the time to get to know the wonderful tool and the wonderful people here in detail, which is a pity. I'll try and amend my ways

The last sentence, then, does mean that the father's action is legally unpunishable! See, Systran did spit this out at me, in extremely funny English - I just could not compreh
... See more
Thank you for the great assistance, the suggestions, etc. I am a bit of a newcomer to Proz, and don't seem to muster the time to get to know the wonderful tool and the wonderful people here in detail, which is a pity. I'll try and amend my ways

The last sentence, then, does mean that the father's action is legally unpunishable! See, Systran did spit this out at me, in extremely funny English - I just could not comprehend, from my Anglo-centric worldview perch, that someone actively colluding in a crime would not be charged solely because he is protecting his own son!

Thank you again and again, my friends!

Sam
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does it mean in English? (Q. for German speakers)

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »