word count for PDFs
Thread poster: Claudia Wunderlich (X)
Claudia Wunderlich (X)
Claudia Wunderlich (X)
Local time: 13:57
German to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2002

Can anyone tell me how I can get an accurate word count for a .pdf document?

Kathleen Goldsmith-Killing
Kathleen Goldsmith-Killing
Brazil
Local time: 08:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
word count on PDF Mar 19, 2002

Hi Claudia,

I transform the PDF text into Word and use the word counter there. You can re-transfer the text back to PDF or just keep a copy of the original in PDF.

Good luck, Kathleen

Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
Local time: 12:57
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 19, 2002

Just copy the text from the .pdf file(select continuous pages) and paste it into Word. Then you can have an accurate word count.

This helps for sure.

Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Word count PDF Mar 19, 2002

You can select the text of the .pdf file(select continuous form/pages) and copy. Then paste into Word. There you can have an accurate wordcount.

It helps for sure.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
There are two ways to do it.... Mar 19, 2002

All .pdfs are based on a file created in another program (e.g. Word). Ask your customer for a copy of that file.

Or use the mark all command in Acrobat and copy and paste it into Word. Then use your standard word count function.

PLEASE be careful if you have to resort to the second method though - sometimes not everything gets copied over, spaces get missed out thus running words together, other \"bits\" ge
... See more
All .pdfs are based on a file created in another program (e.g. Word). Ask your customer for a copy of that file.

Or use the mark all command in Acrobat and copy and paste it into Word. Then use your standard word count function.

PLEASE be careful if you have to resort to the second method though - sometimes not everything gets copied over, spaces get missed out thus running words together, other \"bits\" get added as if by magic (e.g. the words \"Photo Caption\").....

HTH

Alison
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Save as RTF (requires Adobe Acrobat) Mar 19, 2002

If you have Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (the full version, not just Acrobat Reader), you can save PDFs in Rich Text Format (RTF). That is, unless the document was password-protected (in which case your customer would have to provide you with an unprotected file - or the original used to create the PDF, as Alison suggested).

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:57
French to English
OmniPage 11 Mar 19, 2002

A colleague of mine uses Omnipage 11, an OCR program. It can convert pdf files into text instantaneously (she did a couple of files for me recently and the results were very good!). It can also convert Word documents into pdf.

Omnipage is on my list of things to buy

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pdf Word Count Mar 19, 2002

I have an add-in which counts words in Adobe. If you want a copy of it, sent an email.

Bharg Shah
Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:27
French to English
+ ...
Simple way Mar 19, 2002

You can select the entire text by using \"select all\" then copy and paste in word and count the words there. HTH

I have done this quite often!

French Locale
French Locale
English to French
+ ...
Word count software Mar 19, 2002

Have a look at the following address:

http://www.pdfcount.com/

They sell a software dedicated to word count in pdf files.

You can use it for free for 15 days.

Véronique

Claudia Wunderlich (X)
Claudia Wunderlich (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 19, 2002

Thank you for this.

However, I have already used this software and found out that it does NOT count spaces and thus gives an inaccurate count.

Claudia Wunderlich (X)
Claudia Wunderlich (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 19, 2002

Thank you for your help.

I read about this option which seems to be the only one that\'s realiable. However, I do not own the full version as of yet.

Claudia Wunderlich (X)
Claudia Wunderlich (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 19, 2002

Clever me did ask for the original Word doc but could not get it ,-( So am stuck with the cut and paste option I guess.

Mind you: this may result in a different count if you use this method more than once and compare.

mollymac (X)
mollymac (X)
United States
Local time: 06:57
French to English
I don't know if this will solve your problem... Apr 3, 2002

...but I found a great little tool that adobe has available online at: http://access.adobe.com/simple_form.html. If your pdf is taken from an online source, you simply enter the URL on this page, and it will convert the entire document to html. Of course, it isn\'t much to look at, as it removes all formatting, but in html text can be manipulated much more easily.

Carina Balbo
Carina Balbo
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Thanks Feb 11, 2003

I\'ve already downloaded PDFcount and it worked!

Carina

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-11 12:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word count for PDFs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »