The agency list (Blue Board) on ProZ.com - very helpful
Thread poster: Imane Ricard (X)
Imane Ricard (X)
Imane Ricard (X)
English to French
Feb 21, 2004

Hello all,

I recently did a legal translation for a company located in Florida and I didn't know that at the same time, several translators were entering very negative feedback about this company - they don't pay and they have been banned from ProZ because of that. But somehow, they managed to publicize a job and I was chosen for the translation. They didn't pay me upon completion as agreed and they don't even return my calls. I recently came across the agency list and found they we
... See more
Hello all,

I recently did a legal translation for a company located in Florida and I didn't know that at the same time, several translators were entering very negative feedback about this company - they don't pay and they have been banned from ProZ because of that. But somehow, they managed to publicize a job and I was chosen for the translation. They didn't pay me upon completion as agreed and they don't even return my calls. I recently came across the agency list and found they were banned. Should I have consulted the list before accepting the job, I would have avoided a costly mistake. So, to all of you, give a look to the list, it is worth the 50 cents you pay and you might save a lot of time and effort for the non-worthy agencies.

Best regards,
Imane
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:49
SITE FOUNDER
Sorry to hear about this Feb 22, 2004

Sorry to hear this happened. I hope you get paid.

In case you (or others) are not aware, we have a policy of banning when we get two (documented) cases of non-payment. Therefore you should report cases of non-payment to a jobs moderator. (Ralf Lemster and Giuliana Buscaglione are two.)

Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
IN NINETY PER CENT OF THE CASES IT WILL AVOID YOU A BITTER EXPERIENCE Feb 22, 2004

...but Proz members should remember to update their experience. I did a job for an agency that had been rated with a 5 by another translator, only to find out too late (after not being paid) that the translator who had rated them with a 5 had not been paid her last job. I am not going to give any names (the translator ultimately erased her rating), but wanting to change my rating from a 3 to a 1, I find I cannot do it, because the Agency answered my rating, trying to disqualify me as a techn... See more
...but Proz members should remember to update their experience. I did a job for an agency that had been rated with a 5 by another translator, only to find out too late (after not being paid) that the translator who had rated them with a 5 had not been paid her last job. I am not going to give any names (the translator ultimately erased her rating), but wanting to change my rating from a 3 to a 1, I find I cannot do it, because the Agency answered my rating, trying to disqualify me as a technical translator. Six months have passed, and I have not been paid, and have given up all hope. I do not want to reopen the case here. I am only saying that it is vital that translators update their information if their opinion of the agency has changed.

In the vast majority of the cases the Blue Board is a VERY VERY VERY valuable tool. We should help to keep up this value, doing periodical updates if our opinion has changed.
Collapse

Marina THETIOT
Marina THETIOT  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:49
English to French
Blue/red=?? Feb 22, 2004

There is something I still dont' understand about the blueboard; some agencies appear in blue and others in red. I thought may be in red were those who had bad reputation but, some of them don't even have any review, and without any review, I don't see how they could be banned? So, I'm not sure what the colours stand for...?

Marina

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Entries with/without ProZ.com profile Feb 23, 2004

Hi Marina,
Entries shown in blue are linked to a ProZ.com profile - those in red don't have one (or it has not been linked).

Thankfully, only a minority has had to be banned from posting jobs at ProZ.com: in these cases you will see a "Note from site staff" in the relevant BB record.

Best regards, Ralf

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
WE NEED TO HAVE A WAY OF UPDATING THE RATINGS Apr 2, 2004

I recently did half a dozen jobs for a very friendly and very reliable Agency in Houston. When I made the comment they had not paid me yet, because payment was not yet due, and actually payment was made within 60 days, that is within the period agreed.

I want to correct my rating saying that I have been paid but the system comes up with this message:

JB Knowledge Technologies, Inc (Solana Rosa)

Region: Texas
City:
... See more
I recently did half a dozen jobs for a very friendly and very reliable Agency in Houston. When I made the comment they had not paid me yet, because payment was not yet due, and actually payment was made within 60 days, that is within the period agreed.

I want to correct my rating saying that I have been paid but the system comes up with this message:

JB Knowledge Technologies, Inc (Solana Rosa)

Region: Texas
City:

Rate this Agency

You cannot edit your rating for this agency because the agency has posted a reply to your original comment.

Their comment was positive, my experience was excellent, why can I not say that I have been paid?

And I have only mentioned the name of the Agency because my comments and my experience with them are completely positive.

Now let's imagine a hypothetical case in which a translator does his first small job for XXXX and gets paid the first time. He says they pay on time. Then he does a second large job and is never paid. Since the agency answered his rating, he cannot warn others that the agency is no longer paying on time. How can this be corrected?.

There should be some way of correcting this. Do the moderators have any suggestions?

Please notice that there is no complaint involved here, but rather a very positive experience. Is there no way out of this "dead end"?

Thank you.

Robert Ingledew

[Edited at 2004-04-02 21:30]

[Edited at 2004-04-02 21:32]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact the jobs moderators... Apr 4, 2004

Hi Robert,
There's no dead end, but a simple answer: contact a jobs moderator, and in a case like this, we will remove the original rating, so you can enter a new one.

When making that contact, please quote the URL of the BB entry, so we don't have to search, or exchange a number of message before knowing who we're talking about.

There are several reasons why moderator intervention is required:

- Editable comments could evolve into a "tit for tat" dia
... See more
Hi Robert,
There's no dead end, but a simple answer: contact a jobs moderator, and in a case like this, we will remove the original rating, so you can enter a new one.

When making that contact, please quote the URL of the BB entry, so we don't have to search, or exchange a number of message before knowing who we're talking about.

There are several reasons why moderator intervention is required:

- Editable comments could evolve into a "tit for tat" dialogue - the BB has been designed specifically to prevent this.
- We have seen situations where translators didn't want to change a rating, but were bullied into doing so (à la "remove your rating, or you won't get any payment at all").

Hope that clarifies it.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
THANK YOU SO MUCH, RALPH Apr 5, 2004

Otherwise I would have given the impression that this Agency had not paid me, when they really did pay on time.

Thank you so much.

Robert Ingledew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The agency list (Blue Board) on ProZ.com - very helpful

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »