Best Free Software Online (Dan Tynan's picks)
Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:43
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 25, 2004

The best things in life may not be free; but the free stuff ain't bad, especially when it comes to software. If you can't afford to fork out a fistful of dollars for your essential programs, or simply don't want to pay fealty to the Microsoft monarchy, you have options and it's not said just about Linux. Browsers, word processors, e-mail clients, and a lot more are available for nothing. Of course... See more
The best things in life may not be free; but the free stuff ain't bad, especially when it comes to software. If you can't afford to fork out a fistful of dollars for your essential programs, or simply don't want to pay fealty to the Microsoft monarchy, you have options and it's not said just about Linux. Browsers, word processors, e-mail clients, and a lot more are available for nothing. Of course, everyone's taste is a little different. HERE are Dan Tynan's picks for the best free software you can find.

Award-winning journalist and contributing editor Dan Tynan writes PC World's Gadget Freak column. He never pays for anything he can get for free.

Regards,
Nikita Kobrin

[Edited at 2004-02-25 15:38]
Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
Brilliant Feb 25, 2004

What a good find! Thanks very much...

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:43
French to English
Many thanks...and another good freeware Feb 25, 2004

... Nikita. You always come up with interesting sites!

Best

Barnaby

PS. Here is a very good free dictionary/mini-encyclopedia: http://www.softbear.no/

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:43
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thunderbird Feb 25, 2004

Talking of free software including email clients, I highly recommend Mozilla's Thunderbird, which can be downloaded free from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/0.5/thunderbird-0.5-win32.zip

For reasons I won't g
... See more
Talking of free software including email clients, I highly recommend Mozilla's Thunderbird, which can be downloaded free from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/0.5/thunderbird-0.5-win32.zip

For reasons I won't go into here (but see http://www.proz.com/topic/18054 for details),
I found myself unable to use Outlook Express, and for the past week or so I have been trying out several other email clients - Becky!, The Bat!, Eudora, Tabmail and most recently this one, Thunderbird. I find it much better than Outlook Express for displaying Cyrillic (whether mixed in with Latin or not) both in the Inbox (where in Outlook Express you can't display it at all because View>Encoding is not available there) and in messages, which it does directly, whereas in OE I had to go to View>Encoding>Cyrillic Windows to do this.
I wouldn't go back to OE now even if I could.

I posted the above before I'd checked out Dan Tynan's picks. I see Thunderbird is among them. I'm happy to endorse it!

[Edited at 2004-02-25 19:05]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Free Software Online (Dan Tynan's picks)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »