Mobile menu

Good sources for Portuguese>English print dictionaries???
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
Partial member (2003)
German to English
Mar 9, 2004

I have been trying to purchase several Portuguese>English print dictionaries, including a well-known legal dictionary (Noronha), a business dictionary and a large general dictionary. (Harper-Collins offers a very large unabridged dictionary (approximately 800,000 entries and translations) in several languages, but apparently not in P>E????) I don't seem to be having much luck in any of this. Apparently, Portuguese>English reference materials are pretty limited. I tried to buy the legal dictionary on Amazon, but I never received it and eventually got my money refunded. My bookseller doesn't seem to have much available to him, either. But apparently, people are buying their dictionaries from somewhere, right? Any names of any reputable Portuguese>English booksellers appreciated. Any good online dictionary recommendations also appreciated.

[Edited at 2004-03-09 19:25]

[Edited at 2004-03-09 19:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Carla Araújo  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some links Mar 9, 2004

Hi Ron,

Try the following links:

Pedro Jorge Rodríguez Román
Local time: 23:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dicionário Verbo Mar 10, 2004

It is only Portuguese>English, but is better than Collins.
Over 100k entries.

Editorial Verbo

There is an ENGLISH-PORTUGUESE volume available, as well, but the one I have is PT-EN.

Até já.

Lydia Smith
Local time: 22:43
French to English
+ ...
Porto Editora Mar 10, 2004

they publish lots of dictionaries and also have an online resource, which you can subscribe to. Mainly European Portuguese though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good sources for Portuguese>English print dictionaries???

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs