Good sources for Portuguese>English print dictionaries???
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
Member (2003)
German to English
Mar 9, 2004

I have been trying to purchase several Portuguese>English print dictionaries, including a well-known legal dictionary (Noronha), a business dictionary and a large general dictionary. (Harper-Collins offers a very large unabridged dictionary (approximately 800,000 entries and translations) in several languages, but apparently not in P>E????) I don't seem to be having much luck in any of this. Apparently, Portuguese>English reference materials are pretty limited. I tried to buy the legal dictio... See more
I have been trying to purchase several Portuguese>English print dictionaries, including a well-known legal dictionary (Noronha), a business dictionary and a large general dictionary. (Harper-Collins offers a very large unabridged dictionary (approximately 800,000 entries and translations) in several languages, but apparently not in P>E????) I don't seem to be having much luck in any of this. Apparently, Portuguese>English reference materials are pretty limited. I tried to buy the legal dictionary on Amazon, but I never received it and eventually got my money refunded. My bookseller doesn't seem to have much available to him, either. But apparently, people are buying their dictionaries from somewhere, right? Any names of any reputable Portuguese>English booksellers appreciated. Any good online dictionary recommendations also appreciated.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2004-03-09 19:25]

[Edited at 2004-03-09 19:25]
Collapse

Carla Araújo
Carla Araújo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some links Mar 9, 2004

Hi Ron,

Try the following links:

http://www.buchholz.pt/scripts/buch/ignicao.exe/index?lang=pt

www.fnac.pt
... See more
Hi Ron,

Try the following links:

http://www.buchholz.pt/scripts/buch/ignicao.exe/index?lang=pt

www.fnac.pt

www.somlivre.pt

www.bertrand.pt

Carla
Collapse

Pedro Jorge Rodríguez Román
Pedro Jorge Rodríguez Román
Local time: 19:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dicionário Verbo Mar 10, 2004

It is only Portuguese>English, but is better than Collins.
Over 100k entries.

DICIONÁRIO DE PORTUGUÊS-INGLÊS
Editorial Verbo

There is an ENGLISH-PORTUGUESE volume available, as well, but the one I have is PT-EN.

Até já.

Lydia Smith
Lydia Smith
Local time: 18:58
French to English
+ ...
Porto Editora Mar 10, 2004

http://www.portoeditora.pt

they publish lots of dictionaries and also have an online resource, which you can subscribe to. Mainly European Portuguese though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good sources for Portuguese>English print dictionaries???

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »