Glossaries and dictionaries we should take with a grain of salt!
Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 28, 2001

Hi fellow translators,

All that glitters is not gold. There are several dictionaries and glossaries around that make the hairs in the back of my neck stand up. Whether online or not, they are full of traps in which an unseasoned translator may fall. Use this section to warn other translators about resources we should take with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

ME

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-07-28 07:00 ]

Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Local time: 10:38
French to English
Aug 18, 2001

OK, I\'ll start by quoting the much used (Canadian) French dictionary \"Grand Dictionnaire\" (www.granddictionnaire.com). It\'s truly an excellent resource as far as a French language dictionary of terms goes, and it also contains the English equivalent of a lot (though by no means all) of its terms.

A lot of people, however (as witnessed in the Kudos pages), are simply using this resour
... See more
OK, I\'ll start by quoting the much used (Canadian) French dictionary \"Grand Dictionnaire\" (www.granddictionnaire.com). It\'s truly an excellent resource as far as a French language dictionary of terms goes, and it also contains the English equivalent of a lot (though by no means all) of its terms.

A lot of people, however (as witnessed in the Kudos pages), are simply using this resource the wrong way. Why? Because from the way it\'s written, it\'s clearly intended to be used as a French->French or as an English->French reference. Beware all those who try to use it for French->English translations, because in this direction it is not complete, no English usage is given, and the right term in English is often missing!

To summarize: use GD with caution!

Collapse

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 3, 2001

Watch your step with Noronha!

The Noronha ENPT (Brazilian) legal dictionary has so many poor and downright wrong translations of legal terms that you have to be VERY careful when using it. No translator in his/her right mind would use it as a sole reference source. Every entry has to be double-checked and compared to the definitions of a good monolingual legal dictionary, such as Placido de Silva\'s Vocabulario Juridico and Black\'s.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
German to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2001

Hi,

I think Eurodicautom should be taken with a grain of salt, although it is a good starting point for research sometimes.

Daina

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
German to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2001

Hi,

I think Eurodicautom is a source to be used with caution (at least for German to English), but it can be useful as a starting point.

Daina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries and dictionaries we should take with a grain of salt!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »