Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 03:39
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 28, 2002

Dear Colleagues,

Is anyone of you using Trados with XP?? I have read Trados states \"...at your own risk\".

(I have tried to install Trados 5.0 under my XP operating system - MS XP Office on board, but the setup programm pops a dialog box up saying something like \"neither Word97 nor Word2000 installed\", which is correct, as I have Word2002, and proposes to install the programm in another folder....TT something, an usual Trados\' folder. I have canceled the setup without installing the programm, as I was worried about an eventual crash).

Now, I don\'t actually need to install Trados under XP, but the point is that all new PCs are coming out with XP, therefore I think that, sooner or later, this question will be hamletic....

What about the new Trados 5.5? I downloaded it last week (not installed under W2000pro yet), but couldn\'t find any reference to XP or W2002.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-28 10:35 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Office XP is the problem... Mar 28, 2002

Hi Giuliana,

I just discussed this issue with Trados a few days ago. I wouldn\'t think Windows XP is the problem - Office XP is. (In fact, the Trados disclaimer refers to Office XP - see http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#GenOffXP.)

They\'re obviously working on Office XP support, but since Microsoft code tends to get finalised after product launch (hence the need for the infamous \"Service Packs/Releases\"...), this takes some time (remember that Trados uses Word macros and RTF code to work with Word as an editor).

On a personal note, I have so far refused to take anything that has \"XP\" in it... I\'m using Office 97 (!) under Win2kPro - without a hint of technical problems.

Note that even though new machines come with Office XP as OEM versions, it\'s usually possible to have Office 2000 installed instead - provided you buy your PC from an authorised MS dealer, not over the Internet...

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Never Ending Story Mar 28, 2002

Hi Ralf,

thanks for your reply. Yes, my question was about XP Office... and yes, the same old story about patches & Service Packs.... I bought a new Laptop (not via Internet) and WXP & Word2002 were already installed: I thought it wouldn\'t be bad to have XP as well and, to be honest, I was too lazy to be ready to format C:\\, install the whole W2000pro+patches+SP1&2+n-hotfixs, MS Office and reinstall all software, NAV & so on, plus updates.... a very time consuming activity!!!

I wish Trados could work as a \"stand-alone\" programm and have its own editor like SDLX...

Thanks again,

Giuliana

[addsig]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
It works with my XP Upgrade Mar 28, 2002

I am using Trados 5 with Office XP under Win XP and it works fine, there is only one problem: I have installed Win 98 and XP on the same PC, and since I installed Trados in Win XP, it stopped working in Win 98. More precisely: Trados itself still works under Win 98 (analyze, cleaning), but I cannot open Segments in Word under Win 89, neither in Word 97 nor in Word XP.

I don\'t bother much, because I prefer to use Deja Vu under Win 98..

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What about the TagEditor? Mar 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-28 10:58, docgy wrote:

Hi Ralf,

I wish Trados could work as a \"stand-alone\" programm and have its own editor like SDLX...

It does... the TagEditor works fine - but that doesn\'t help you much when it comes to Word docs... (have you tried converting them to HTML...?

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"March Fools' Day"..... Mar 28, 2002

Hi Ralf,

no, I haven\'t. But I\'ll try to. Normally, I have *.doc files and I work either with Word (2000) & Trados or with SDLX Edit (after having converted the *.doc file into a *.rft one).

By the way of troubles, another \"funny thing\" - I am an optimist! has just happened to me (this is really a \"holy week\" for me & my \"working tools\" ): I \"picked up\" a zipped Edit-file I had edited and saved under SDLX Edit (op. sys. W2000pro) from my online briefcase (great facility when on the way!) and opened it under Win XP... I mean, I have tried to open it (of course, after unzipping)! There was no way to open it as an Edit file! It was marked as an access file - no news, as it happened to me before, I only had to right-click on the icon and then click on \"open as\", check the programm list and finally choose \"SLEdit\", in order to have the text displayed - two columns, the original on the left and the translation on the right). I could only open it under access2002: ....Jesus multiplying bread and fishes, but turning wine into water : I could count 7 files, instead of one, all Excel-like spreadsheets, my translation in one file (all pressed inside one cell row), the orignal in another one (same display), plus some other info I couldn\'t interpret, perhaps sys infos. Is it Friday?! You know what? I\'m just gonna \"put XP on ice\" for the time being (and wait for Micro to come out with the usual patches).

Thanks for your latest suggestion, Ralf, I\'ll try it for sure.

Happy Easter from Vienna.

Giuliana
[addsig]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Office XP and Trados does not make any problems Apr 3, 2002

I´m working with TRADOS 5.0 since the release of TRADOS 5.0 and as I get the localised version (Germany) of TRADOS with \"partially support for Office XP\" (TRADOS-statement) I startet to use TRADOS with WORD, EXCEL and POWERPOINT (all XP-versions). I haven´t had any problems. And now you can download the TRDADOS 5.5 from their homepage (or someting like \"translationzone\") with full support of Office XP.

I work with Windows 2000, but two weeks ago I installed a new computer and had no problem with installing TRADOS after the instalation of Office XP. I have no other version of Office on my PC. So I can´t imagine, Office XP is making trouble.

Try to upgrade to TRADOS 5.5 - it´s free - this should solve your problem.

Regards

J. Czopik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP & Trados

Advanced search

Translation news

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs