Mobile menu

Looking for good French>English bookseller
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:12
Partial member (2003)
German to English
Mar 25, 2004

I'm looking to buy a number of specialized French>English dictionaries. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good online bookseller. I know I can certainly find some myself, but I always prefer a good recommendation to just mucking around myself, praying for a good result.

I know I found a good German>English bookseller-located in Germany-who seemed to have every conceivable dictionary one might need and the latest editions-which I greatly prefer.

I was hoping to find the same thing in French. Perhaps a bookseller located in a French-speaking country who would have the widest range of French>English dictionaries at decent prices.

Merci beaucoup.

Direct link Reply with quote

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
French & European Publications, Inc. Mar 25, 2004

You may buy online or visit their store in New York City. Hope this helps!

http://www.frencheuropean.com

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:12
German to English
+ ...
Grant and Cutler, London Mar 26, 2004

I have ordered from them before and found them very good - they have a huge stock (see online catalogue) and send by airmail (http://www.grantandcutler.com).(This last point may seem obvious but it wasn't to Amazon in Germany)!
I think bookshops in French-speaking countries might favour EN>FR dictionaries over FR>EN ones, when it comes to purchasing stock.

Ron Stelter wrote:

I'm looking to buy a number of specialized French>English dictionaries. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good online bookseller. I know I can certainly find some myself, but I always prefer a good recommendation to just mucking around myself, praying for a good result.

I know I found a good German>English bookseller-located in Germany-who seemed to have every conceivable dictionary one might need and the latest editions-which I greatly prefer.

I was hoping to find the same thing in French. Perhaps a bookseller located in a French-speaking country who would have the widest range of French>English dictionaries at decent prices.

Merci beaucoup.

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 19:12
French to English
La Maison du Dictionnaire Mar 26, 2004

Hi Ron.
Try this one:

http://www.lmdd.com/fr/home.htm

Regards,
Sara

Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Sara, Mar 26, 2004

Thanks to everyone so far. But, Sara, this one seems to be exactly what I was looking for. What an impressive range of offerings!

Merci beaucoup.

Ron

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

Hi Ron.
Try this one:

http://www.lmdd.com/fr/home.htm

Regards,
Sara

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:12
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
A French tech dico Apr 1, 2004

Ron Stelter wrote:

...snip...

This is only slightly off-topic; an actual Fr-En technical dico. I recently bought Henri Goursau's Dictionnaire Technique et Scientifique Francais-Anglais for £50 (about $80) at Grant & Cutler, London. It's rather small (18 x 12 x 5 cm, 930 pages, about 50 lines per page, more than one translation on some lines) but it has provided useful answers to lots of questions I have had for it. I think it's a surprisingly good general sci-tech dico (not medical). It claims to have 80000 translations.
Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for good French>English bookseller

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs