Off topic: Looking for self-study sources really helpful in advancing in French
Thread poster: xxxIreneN
xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 31, 2004

I'm not sure I'm posting this in a right forum, but here is my whole point.

Long time ago in high school I studied French as the second language, or rather the third since it was a so called special English school. With no practice at all my knowledge had degraded to an "embryonic" state, and I do not like it one bit:-(. Right now I'm not even talking about mastering it professionally, I know all too well what it means but I would love to improve my colloqual skills just to feel more comfortable traveling and enjoy socializing with people. I understand about reading, practicing etc. part. What I would like to know is:
can somebody recommend any decent tape/CD/book combination course7 I'm aware that there are tons of such products on the market but how to choose a good one? It can be either French-English or French-Russian. Unfortunately my schedule does not permit an enrollment for full-time classes even though I'm thinking about taking at least one month with a tutor now and then, whenever I'm sure that I have a month without jumping on the plane..

Thank you very much.

[Edited at 2004-03-31 09:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

Subhamay Ray  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:30
English to Bengali
+ ...
My favourite... Mar 31, 2004

is the Linguaphone course. You can find more information about Linguaphone courses from: http://www.linguaphone.com/

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tayfun, Mar 31, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Perhaps we should start from tales of other languages and re-grow with them.

[Edited at 2004-03-31 17:02]

And just how did you know that I love fairy tales, even collect them?:)

Thank you, guys, I will check both, and by all means I'm looking into paid options, I need something to carry around, play in my car etc.

The question is still on:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for self-study sources really helpful in advancing in French

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs