Mobile menu

Off topic: Looking for self-study sources really helpful in advancing in French
Thread poster: xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 18:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 31, 2004

I'm not sure I'm posting this in a right forum, but here is my whole point.

Long time ago in high school I studied French as the second language, or rather the third since it was a so called special English school. With no practice at all my knowledge had degraded to an "embryonic" state, and I do not like it one bit:-(. Right now I'm not even talking about mastering it professionally, I know all too well what it means but I would love to improve my colloqual skills just to feel more comfortable traveling and enjoy socializing with people. I understand about reading, practicing etc. part. What I would like to know is:
can somebody recommend any decent tape/CD/book combination course7 I'm aware that there are tons of such products on the market but how to choose a good one? It can be either French-English or French-Russian. Unfortunately my schedule does not permit an enrollment for full-time classes even though I'm thinking about taking at least one month with a tutor now and then, whenever I'm sure that I have a month without jumping on the plane..

Thank you very much.

[Edited at 2004-03-31 09:01]

Direct link Reply with quote
Subhamay Ray  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:29
English to Bengali
+ ...
My favourite... Mar 31, 2004

is the Linguaphone course. You can find more information about Linguaphone courses from:

United States
Local time: 18:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Tayfun, Mar 31, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Perhaps we should start from tales of other languages and re-grow with them.

[Edited at 2004-03-31 17:02]

And just how did you know that I love fairy tales, even collect them?:)

Thank you, guys, I will check both, and by all means I'm looking into paid options, I need something to carry around, play in my car etc.

The question is still on:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for self-study sources really helpful in advancing in French

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs