A solution to spam-mail
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2004

I'm trying out the free email-program Mozilla Thunderbird. The spam-filter looks very promising and it loads in a fraction of the time Oulook needs.
It has a learning function for spam, every time you declare a message as Junk the program is supposed to remember the source. Much easier than in Outlook. Many users are enthusiastic about Thunderbird. And it is compatible with all systems.
Try it out!

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
The same with Opera Apr 15, 2004

but the problem, in my case, is how to synchronize it with my Pocket PC. With Outlook I can work with Notes (written and spoken), emails, tasks and appointments.
For Antispam my acounts in GMX and WEB do it direct.

French to Dutch
+ ...
Slow Apr 15, 2004

I have recently tried Thunderbird myself and I did find it very promosing at first, but after two weeks the program became extremely slow and thus very time-consuming. When searching the internet for a solution, I found that many others had encountered the very same problem and that it is probably due to:
a) a buid-up of anti-spam data
b) an incompatibility with the Microsoft software.
This problem does not seem to occur when you are running the other Thunderbird products, instead of Internet Explorer, etc.

It all depends on the system you're running... (mine was entirely Microsoft...)

Another inconveniency is that you cannot import your inbox nor your address book from Outlook or Outlook Express, so you would have to start anew in every way...

Kind regards,

+ ...
Thanks! Apr 15, 2004

Thank you for the tip, Heinrich. I'll try it asap.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
English to Russian
+ ...
I usually prefer standalone solutions Apr 15, 2004

Yes, I don't like very much 'combines' which can do 'everything' and nothing in particular.

For downloading and sending mail I use email clients, for checking mail I use email notifiers, for elimination of spam I use special standalone programs which delete spam messages directly from the server and I don't even need to download them to my computer. Standalone programs give you a chance to use any email clients of your choice.

At the moment I use MailWasher Pro. This tool stops viruses, spam and other unwanted email before they get to your computer. It is free for use with one email account.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mailwasher not intelligent Apr 16, 2004

Nikita Kobrin wrote:
MailWasher ... stops viruses, spam and other unwanted email before they get to your computer.

It does not automatically stop viruses. It only stops viruses if the user can identify the virus before downloading it. But I agree that it's a very handy program to have.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A solution to spam-mail

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs