Mobile menu

Intellicomplete 3.3
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
French to English
May 7, 2004

Frequent visitors to this and other proz.com forums will know that I have long been a fan of Intellicomplete: as the blurb says "Autolearn and autocomplete words/phrases in ANY applications on MS Windows".
The new version has one tremendous improvement: the ability to create and use multiple user libraries. If you are familiar with the application, you will know that the user library (which is where the words/phrases that you tell Intellicomplete to learn are automatically stored) is a far more powerful and practical tool than the professional libraries. You can now create a user library for each topic (e.g. medicine, tourism, contracts, financial reports, etc). The big advantage is, of course, that you now waste much less time searching through the pop-up list for the word/phrase you want.
Just two other points:
1. Remember, Intellicomplete is not a TRANSLATION tool. Its pupose is to save you time typing in words/phrases that you already know how to translate or that you don't need to translate, for example complicated place names, medical expressions, etc.
2. Don't overlook the very useful "Learn selected text as phrase" option in the "Embedded Editing Menu". Wih this very clever refinement, you can go through a source text (in electronic format) before starting the translaton proper and select all the words/phrases you want to see in the pop-up display window for future auto-completion.

A very good tool just got better!

Best

Barnaby

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Thanks May 7, 2004

Thanks for the information. I can't imagine working without Intellicomplete any more.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Intellicomplete info and free alternatives May 9, 2004

Download it here: http://www.flashpeak.com/icomp/. It is 30-day shareware and the full product costs USD 49.97.

I use LetMeType (GNU freeware). Download it here: http://www.clasohm.com/lmt/en/.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re LetMeType May 9, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

Download it here: http://www.flashpeak.com/icomp/. It is 30-day shareware and the full product costs USD 49.97.

I use LetMeType (GNU freeware). Download it here: http://www.clasohm.com/lmt/en/.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re LetMeType May 9, 2004

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re LetMeType May 9, 2004

Dear Samuel

LetMeType is indeed a clever and elegant little application. It is also extraordinarily good value as freeware even if it can't compare with Intellicomplete in terms of power, flexibility and wealth of features.
Why, then, should anyone want to fork out 50 dollars to get Intellicomplete?
Without going into details, and leaving aside the question of stability and bugs (LetMeType seems to have the annoying habit of adding a space BEFORE completing a word), there are, in my opinion, TWO compelling reasons for opting for Intellicomplete if you are into text completion seriously:

1. LetMeType does not allow the user to choose what words / phrases to learn. Anyone with experience of text completion knows that automatic completion (although initially attractive) is ultimately of very limited value. What is needed IS A FAST, SIMPLE WAY TO CHOOSE THE WORDS / PHRASES OURSELVES. Intellicomplete allows you to do this, LetMeType does not. In my opinion, this rules the latter out of court.

2. I may be mistaken but LetMeType seems to be limited to one or two words, right?

To sum up, manual learning of words / phrases / text is the vital ingredient for us as translators. I reaily admit that many of the other features of Intellicomplete - language libraries, professional libraries, shorthand libraries and so on - are of limited use to us. But for this one feature alone, Intellicomplete is worth its weight in gold.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Answers: Lmt x IntC3.3 May 9, 2004

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:
1. LetMeType seems to have the annoying habit of adding a space BEFORE completing a word.
2. LetMeType does not allow the user to choose what words / phrases to learn.
3. I may be mistaken but LetMeType seems to be limited to one or two words, right?

1. I don't suffer from that bug. Yep, just tested it... no such bug here.
2. Quite right. LMT learns all words, and users can only select which words to display based on the length of the word. The words expire based on their age and number of recycling uses. You can also import a list of words, and you can save different sets of words based on which client or which type of text you're dealing with.
3. The reason why LMT learns only two or three words at a time is for privacy reasons. There is *no* way you can reconstruct the source text from the word list in LMT.

I don't know IntC and I didn't try it out (yet), so I can't comment on how good it is.

A few points about LMT:
1. It is rather useful for *long* words (you can set it to suggest only words longer than X characters).
2. You have to type 1 thru 9 to "accept" the word... which is annoying at first.
3. LMT works in any application (does IntC do this?).
4. You can tell it to ignore passwords and to include or exclude typing from certain applications.
5. It *may* cause MS Word to crash when running complex macros (I know this from experience), so save frequently (always a good rule).

LMT is a very simple piece of software.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
LMT Versus Intellicomplete May 9, 2004

Many thanks for the interesting information on LMT which you obviously know very well. I’m looking forward to putting it through its paces!
As to Intellicomplete, I have long been a fan but have no commercial interest* in touting its merits – it’s just that quite honestly I have yet to find anything better. It IS a bit complicated in the sense that over and above the text completion component, it includes a wealth of other Windows utilities which you may or may not appreciate (although there’s no obligation to use them!). After some initial reluctance, I have come to use some of these utilities quite a lot, in particular the Multiple Clipboard and Quick Run features. Since I have Intellicomplete on all the time, I’ve gradually come round to the view that I might as well use all its features while I’m about it! And then of course there are the features I mentioned in my last thread, no doubt useful in some circumstances but not, in my experience and opinion, of much interest to translators. Indeed, the first things to do when you install Intellicomplete is a) to DISABLE the language library (English by default) and b) DISABLE the automatic learn feature (Options – Learn and then untick the AutoLearn Word and AutoLearn Phrase boxes). It’s vital to do these two things if you want to get the full benefit of Intellicomplete.

To give you an example of how I use Intellicomplete: at the moment I’m translating a tourist brochure from French into English. As you would expect, a lot of the words and phrases come up time and again, either translated or left in the original French. Each time I come across a phrase (I don’t usually bother with words unless they are long and/or complicated to type) I proceed as follows: I type in the phrase and then IMMEDIATELY, i.e. no space, press F4 (my chosen shortcut) to summon the “Quick Add Word, Phrases and Shorthand” menu. I then click on the phrase I want to save from the list, and that’s it. The rest is a question of fine tuning.

With regard to your 5 points:
To the best of my knowledge, Intellicomplete has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages you list for LMT.

Best regards

Barnaby

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Quick review: IntC 3.3 May 9, 2004

I downloaded and installed IntC on my W2000P box, and ran through the first one or two tutorials. IntC is hands-down better than LMT. The learning curve is a bit steep but I can appreciate its usefulness. It appears to be highly configurable.

IntelliComplete has three main features and a few extras. All of these can be reached via a toolbar that hugs the right-hand side of your screen.

1. Word/phrase completion: Works in very much the same way as LMT. A little dropdown box follows the cursor and you can select a word to autocomplete what you are typing. You can select the first option with Ctrl (but Ctrl is too far from my pinkie to be useful) or you can select by number (like LMT does) or you can select with arrow keys (the numpad arrow keys don't work, with or without NumLock; you have to use the upside-down T arrow keys. As with LMT you can load a prepared set of words/phrases per client or per subject field.

2. Shorthand expansion: Lets you type "bbl" and IntC expands it to "be back later". These have to be programmed by the user. IMHO these can be useful if you have many repetitions, but personally I don't have use for it. I guess this is better than your wordprocessor's internal shorthand feature because with IntC you can select shortcuts per client or per subject field.

3. Clipboard manager: LMT does not have this feature, but Clip-o-Matic (freeware) does. IntC's clipboard manager also has, in addition to 64 current clipboard entries, a history feature by which you can browse all clipboard instances up to a certain date in the past. IntC's clipboard browser has two panes which makes browsing previous entries a little easier.

4. The rest of IntC is a mish-mash of additional features which may be useful depending on your existing habits. LMT does hot have these, but then these aren't really related to autocompletion -- they're just extras. They include:

4.1 A quick run dialog for running commands on your computer or URLs on your browser. Of all the extra features, this one seems most useful. Give a deep subfolder on your computer a nickname, then use this dialog to type in the nickname and IntC goes directly to that folder. Could be useful for large or complex t9n projects with many folders.

4.2 A shortcut to browse your hard disk in a single pane file explorer.
4.3 A shortcut for dialing or disconnecting from the internet.
4.4 A shortcut to your IE favourites (but not your Mozilla bookmarks).
4.5 A shortcut to your Outlook address book.
4.6 Shortcuts for shutting down or logging off from your computer.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Use of Shorthand May 9, 2004

Just to add one thing to Samuel's very useful overview.
It is POSSIBLE to use the shorthand expansion as a sort of pop-up dictionary. The idea would be to use the shorthand code as the source language (remember the code doesn't HAVE to be very short) and the expanded string as the target language.
The advantage is that you would just have to start typing in the source text, wait till you see the right translation in the pop-up window and then press RETURN to paste in the translation.
The disadvantage of course is that you would need to spend an awful lot of time entering all the data in the first place. So it's really a non-starter. But I for one would be very interested if some commercial enterprise could prepare whole dictionaries for this sort of treatment.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Use the RETURN key... May 9, 2004

... Instead of Crtl for autocompletion. Go to Hotkeys and choose RETURN from the list. I find this far and away the best key for this purpose.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use browser for quick directory access May 10, 2004

Give a deep subfolder on your computer a nickname, then use this dialog to type in the nickname and IntC goes directly to that folder.

You can also use your browser's bookmark feature to bookmark various folders on your hard drive. Some browsers (like Opera) has a bookmark nickname feature by which you can load specific bookmarks by typing just one or two letters.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Intellicomplete 3.3

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs