Mobile menu

German grades versus US grades
Thread poster: Gisela Greenlee

Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
German to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2004

I was asked to translate a German Gymnasium report card and have a question concerning the points that are given for each subject. It seems since this is different from the US system and there is a key at the bottom explaining the corresponding grades (which I have a conversion table for), these points would be left the same, but I'm not entirely sure. Can someone tell me if the points do need to be converted, and if so, where I can find the conversion table. Thanks for any help. Gisela

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same Jul 6, 2004

If I were you, I would translate it as is and leave the grades as is. Then let the evaluators do the rest. Your job is only to translate, not evaluate.

Differences abound in educational systems, and even in the same country and between one institution and another.

Michael Fleischmann
German to English
addendum Jul 7, 2004

Gisela Greenlee wrote:

I was asked to translate a German Gymnasium report card and have a question concerning the points that are given for each subject. It seems since this is different from the US system and there is a key at the bottom explaining the corresponding grades (which I have a conversion table for), these points would be left the same, but I'm not entirely sure. Can someone tell me if the points do need to be converted, and if so, where I can find the conversion table. Thanks for any help. Gisela

I agree with Henry about not evaluating the document unless you are in an agency that regularly does this (e.g. http://www.wes.org/). It might be a good idea to attach an addendum with the standardized equivalencies if available.
May also want to note in the addendum the differences or definitions of grading terminology used in Germany, such as ,,mangelhaft" and ,,ausreichend". The US has rarely seen anything like this.

Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Leave as is with explanation Jul 8, 2004

Thanks, I will leave the points alone and include information explaining the difference between German and US grading.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German grades versus US grades

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs