Thread poster: Parrot

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:09
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2002

I\'m not too sure this is a good idea from the point of view of a webmaster, but over the years, in our answer pages and our forum postings, the links ot quite a number of great on-line glossaries have been provided. I sometimes wish there were a single page on which I could find all of these, along with a short summary of the topics they dealt with. (They could be ordered in the same way that proZ classifies terminology questions). I have had the experience of remembering out of the blue that the answers I was looking for were on some link in the forum or elsewhere, and have had to move mountains to recover them, if I succeeded in finding them at all.

A few of the generally-used ones are in my favorites menu, while I have recorded others that I considered useful for the future on separate hard disk, but you never know. Maybe such a page could be maintained by our moderators (no, I\'m not trying to create more work) but optionally, it could also be open to inputs and maintenance by other persons, such as the users themselves.

Direct link Reply with quote

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a VERY good idea... Apr 17, 2002

I couldn´t agree more with you Cecilia.

Aurora

Holger Gremminger
German to Swedish
+ ...
share your favourite ressources Apr 17, 2002

Try and visit http://www.manual-forum.de and post your favourite ressources in the forum (there is a part of the forum available for translators). There it will be available for all visitors and you can always access them.

/Holger

Nils Vanbellingen  Identity Verified
German to Dutch
+ ...
Good idea Apr 17, 2002

Would be a great idea, yes...

Francisco Herrerias  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
French to Spanish
+ ...
GREAT IDEA! Apr 17, 2002

I think this is a great idea, this would be a great resource for us all, and we could maintain it by sending our own resources to a moderator (I think this is a must) to be reviwed and posted on the page.

There might be different sections, technical, medical, legal, etc...

That would be great!

Keep on it!

Francisco

Silvia Borges
United States
Local time: 21:09
ProZ Database! Apr 18, 2002

What a wonderful idea Cecilia, or should I say little Parrot!

It would represent a huge amount of saved time on searching for the best glossary or the best source of information all over the Internet.

I, like you, have so many lined up on my favorites, but I am always adding some more and opening new files to organize them. It is a never-ending task.

Maybe what Henry could do would be to open a space inside the proZ site, where we all could go and input some new source of information and, after his (or a moderator’s) thorough examination on the relevance of it, a huge organized database could be built.

Great idea, let\'s see what comes out of this.

Silvia

Mireia Oliva Solé  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you read my mind? Apr 18, 2002

I think it´s a wonderful and very useful idea.

Regards

Mireia

Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 18:09
English to Spanish
Bright Apr 18, 2002

Cecilia, you are brilliant. Somebody should listen.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:09
SITE FOUNDER
we hear you Apr 18, 2002

OK. Stay tuned.

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Absolutely Apr 18, 2002

We used to have such a page in \'the old days\'... should definitely be implemented again.

[addsig]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone. Apr 18, 2002

I did suspect it could\'ve been tried out in the past and scrapped for some technical or practical reason (these pages are \"movable\" and I also often get frustrated). But it was just so convenient \"in the planning\"... a link library of sorts. I also notice that, as glossary entries are accepted, the original pages on which they were entered seem to become inaccessible. Maybe it\'s just my imagination, but sometimes it\'s assuring to know how the term got there.

xxxmgonzalez
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is an excellent idea, Apr 18, 2002

& very much needed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Resource Page

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs