Pnina
Israel
Local time: 08:45
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
Jul 23, 2004

www.saberingles.com.ar/idioms/11.html

Dear Translators,

This glossary explains idioms that deal with the following topics: animals, colours, parts of the body, and water. If you are curious, you can find the story of the development of a certain idiom.

The glossary is user-friendly. You can look for idioms that contain a certain word (for instance, tongue, or leg, or yellow). There is an example of usage of almost every idiom that is mentioned in the glossary.

The site provides entertaining tips as well; for instance: "If you're young at heart, learn all the expressions with the word "heart" by heart and to your heart's content. It will do your heart good."

Enjoy!

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:45
Czech to German
+ ...
There's a lot more to be discovered... Jul 24, 2004

on this website, dictionaries, glossaries, books, a list of U.S. newspapers online, etc. in English and Spanish, even a section "Learn English by Singing Songs".
Thanks for that really interesting link!

husken
Local time: 07:45
English
Sources for Translation Jul 25, 2004

Charlotte Blank wrote:

on this website, dictionaries, glossaries, books, a list of U.S. newspapers online, etc. in English and Spanish, even a section "Learn English by Singing Songs".

See for translation sources (technical translations) also:
http://www.simplifiedenglish.net

Rene
Netherlands

konan
Yemen
Arabic to English
+ ...
I Think It Is Clear Jul 27, 2004

husken wrote:

Charlotte Blank wrote:

See for translation sources (technical translations) also:
http://www.simplifiedenglish.net

Rene
Netherlands

I think it is clear enough now to deal with such links if you have the desire to be more cultured, especially in the field of idioms. Thank you for the attention you want us to be ...

Best Regards,
Mohammed El Homaidi

AriadneR
English to German
+ ...
Many thanks! Aug 6, 2004

Charlotte Blank wrote:

As I also teach English I can only join in here:
Thanks a lot!

Eugenia Musat
French to English
The site is more than just great! Aug 10, 2004

I have just entered the site that you have suggested and it is absolutely great. You are a very nice person for you tried to share something that you liked and considered it useful. Unfortunately there are few people like you. Most of them use to keep everything for themselves. Therefore, I don't want to be like them and I want to return the favour. Below you will find two links which I consider moreover useful than nice:

http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller

www.granddictionnaire.com

Thank you again!

Pnina
Israel
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sincere thanks Aug 12, 2004

Eugenia Musat wrote:

I have just entered the site that you have suggested and it is absolutely great. You are a very nice person for you tried to share something that you liked and considered it useful. Unfortunately there are few people like you. Most of them use to keep everything for themselves. Therefore, I don't want to be like them and I want to return the favour. Below you will find two links which I consider moreover useful than nice:

http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller

www.granddictionnaire.com

Thank you again!

Dear Eugenia,

Welcome to ProZ.com workplace!

Thank you for the compliment. Many thanks for providing us with links to exceptionally useful sites. They are great sites indeed!

I wish you success, fun, and happiness.

Pnina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary of English idioms and the stories behind them

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs