Mobile menu

Termium - is it really useful? Better than GDT ?
Thread poster: kiliana
kiliana
Local time: 07:01
English to French
+ ...
Apr 19, 2002

Can someone tells me if Termium is really usefull and if it has much more information than \"Le grand dictionnaire terminologique\" (http://www.granddictionnaire.com/_fs_global_01.htm) ?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzanne Bernard
Local time: 02:01
English to French
+ ...
TERMIUM Apr 19, 2002

Termium is a very useful tool indeed!

From the website:

\"Grâce à TERMIUM Plus®, trouver le mot juste n’a jamais été aussi facile! Ce dictionnaire électronique anglais-français-espagnol contient des termes, des synonymes, des acronymes, des définitions, des unités phraséologiques, des exemples d’utilisation et des observations dans des domaines très variés comme l’administration, les sciences et l’informatique; il compte plus de trois millions de termes en anglais et en français et plus de cent mille termes en espagnol. TERMIUM Plus® est également un outil d’aide à la rédaction où obtenir mille et un conseils sur des questions de style et d’usage propres à la langue française et à la langue anglaise.

TERMIUM Plus®, mis à jour tous les mois, vous permet de faire simultanément des recherches en ligne dans le dictionnaire électronique et dans huit outils d’aide à la rédaction.\"

www.termium.com

There is also a 7-DAY FREE TRIAL availableby simply filling out a short form, online.

Regards,

Suzanne

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:01
French to English
Very useful Apr 19, 2002

Termium is indeed a useful database, especially if you deal with texts from Canada. It\'s a database that was created by the Translation Bureau, which is a (federal) government organization. It also has lots of technical, legal, computer, financial, etc. terminology.

I originally bought the CD-ROM (a few years ago), but now use the online version. There aren\'t many problems with the connection (and when maintenance is done, they do it on a weekend and warn you in advance). Definitely worth the price.

Good luck,

Erika

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:01
Danish to English
+ ...
Neutral Apr 21, 2002

Termium on CD-Rom was a disappointment to me. It had some of the clumsy lookup features that also mar the Grand Dictionnaire. Why don\'t they just fix it? Plus it could not be installed on your hard disk and it took a very long time to locate words and expressions. CD-roms and laptops are not very compatible in my view, especially if the lookup process is long-winded. What, with all the fan action going. Maybe my version was an older one, it was dated mid nineties.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-23 14:51 ]

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Love Termium :o) May 6, 2002

I might be a bit late in answering your question but for what it\'s worth: I love the online version of Termium.

There are all sorts of tools and reference material on there. It\'s up to date etc...

I would not purchase the cd-rom, I find that the online tool is extremely easy to access at any time and it\'s fast )

Nathalie

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 14:01
English
+ ...
Termium on your hard disk May 16, 2002

Two versions were available when I bought mine in 1998 -- one version allowed loading to the HD, the other did not but was, uh I think, about C$100 cheaper.

It\'s been a very useful tool in my experience, and, in moments of clientlessness when Free Cell and Minesweeper have driven me up the wall, I\'ve browsed it to discover names for all sorts of Native American tribes!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termium - is it really useful? Better than GDT ?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs