Mobile menu

Wyhlidal dictionary on Recht
Thread poster: roak
roak
United States
German to English
Jul 28, 2004

I would want colleagues to share their copinion on this dictionary. I need a dictionary aon law. Although Dietl / Lorenz is a very good dictionary, the CD is not available and is not likely to be available in the near future. This, after having spoken personally to an officer at ACOLADA GmbH.
So other options need to be looked at. Has anybody used the WYHLIDAL dictionary of Recht, Wirtschaft and Bankwesen?
In case you have other suggestions, they are most welcome! Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:26
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Romain and others Jul 28, 2004

Thanks for the info about the Dietl CD. I have not used Wyhlidal, but here is a list of others you can check out:

Wörterbuch der Rechts- und Wirtschaftssprache, 4th ed., Vol. 2 German > English, by Romain, Byrd, Thielecke

Ango-Amerikanische Rechtssprache: Praxis-Handbuch für Rechtsanwälte, Wirtschaftsjuristen und Wirtschaftstreuhänder, 3rd ed., by Heidinger and Hubalek (German and English contracts side-by-side, plus dual lang. term lists)

English only: A Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage by Bryan A. Garner - I think this is pretty much the gold standard, at least for US English.

Hamblock & Wessels' Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch, German > English contains some of the more general legal terms and is a must anyway for German > English.

Hope that helps! I am not specialized in law, so maybe someone else has other suggestions.

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
German to English
+ ...
Schäfer Hyperbook Wirtschaft Jul 28, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

Hamblock & Wessels' Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch, German > English contains some of the more general legal terms and is a must anyway for German > English.

Hope that helps! I am not specialized in law, so maybe someone else has other suggestions.

I certainly agree with this - it's a very good buy, but I also heard a while back that this won't be brought out on CD either. Originally I used it a lot, but now that I've got Schäfer's Hyperbook Wirtschaft, I use this even more as it's on CD and I personally prefer working with CDs over books any day, because it's just so much faster. At any rate, both are well worth the money.

All the best,

Sarah

roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I agree entirely Jul 28, 2004

There is no question about the fact that CD expedites the work Sarah. I am also satisfied with the HYPERBBOOK CD by Schäfer but its a Wirtschaftswörterbuch. I need a damn good one for law!

Sarah Downing wrote:

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I certainly agree with this - it's a very good buy, but I also heard a while back that this won't be brought out on CD either. Originally I used it a lot, but now that I've got Schäfer's Hyperbook Wirtschaft, I use this even more as it's on CD and I personally prefer working with CDs over books any day, because it's just so much faster. At any rate, both are well worth the money.

All the best,

Sarah

roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds a little puzzling! Jul 28, 2004

roak wrote:

I would want colleagues to share their copinion on this dictionary. I need a dictionary aon law. Although Dietl / Lorenz is a very good dictionary, the CD is not available and is not likely to be available in the near future. This, after having spoken personally to an officer at ACOLADA GmbH.
So other options need to be looked at. Has anybody used the WYHLIDAL dictionary of Recht, Wirtschaft and Bankwesen?
In case you have other suggestions, they are most welcome! Thanks

I received a mail from Werner George Patels in response to my query on this forum. He says he purchased the dictionary by Dietl / Lorenz in December last from Kater Verlag. It must be an earlier version is what I surmise. I need to take this up with Acolada guys once again.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:26
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Old version? Jul 28, 2004

Kater Verlag's listing for the Dietl CD currently states that an update is expected in fall 2004, I believe.

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
German to English
+ ...
Hyperbook Jul 29, 2004

Hi Roak!

Hyperbook is indeed for economics, but I mentioned it because it can be useful for contracts and legal stuff, too, but if you've already got it ...

Good luck!:-)

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wyhlidal dictionary on Recht

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs