Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: !!6 more Gmail invitations to offer. See my latest post.
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2004

Hello Colleagues,

I figured that this forum was the best place to post this. I have been using Gmail, Google´s new webmail service for the past two months. It is in Beta mode. What I like about Gmail is the quantity of space they give you (1 GB), better organizational capabilities, and better search capabilities. There are only non-intrusive text ads and it is quite fast. I am extremely satisfied with the service.

The service is not yet open to the public and is invitation only. Google has offered me 5 invitations, one of which has been claimed already. I have four invitations left. These have been sold on eBay for up to $75. I offer them to you at the low price of FREE, as mine was offered to me. If you would like a Gmail invitation, email me through my profile and I will send them to the first four people that email me.

Best wishes,
David

[Edited at 2004-08-28 01:45]

[Edited at 2004-08-28 01:46]

[Edited at 2004-08-28 17:46]

[Edited at 2004-08-28 17:46]

[Edited at 2004-08-30 17:52]

[Edited at 2004-08-31 17:52]

[Edited at 2004-09-06 02:09]

Direct link Reply with quote

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, all gone! Aug 26, 2004

I recieved four emails in the last 5 minutes and will be sending out the invitations to those people. Sorry there are not more!

David

xxxpucoug  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:42
English to Hindi
+ ...
Any more? Aug 26, 2004

Could one of you four guys (David's invitees), invite me? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Prashant

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only once in a while unfortunately Aug 26, 2004

pucoug wrote:

Could one of you four guys (David's invitees), invite me? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Prashant

Prashant,

The invitations only come once in a while. I am not sure if they are randomly generated or what, but it is unlikely that one of the people I invited would recieve one in the next few days. That was the first time I got that many; usually they only send me one (1) once in a while and this time they sent me five at the same time. If more come my way, I will offer them up again on proz.com. Hopefully, the people I invited will recieve some too and be willing to share them with other translators. I wanted to offer them on proz.com because so many people here have generously helped me.

Best Wishes,
David

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:57
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
:) Aug 26, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

You produced 5x5 more invitation.:)

I do not think that a member gets those five invitations automatically. I think one should be a "trusted" customer to get them. I guess after a short time, everyone gets them.
But GMail is really nice

Monika

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if all Prozians had Gmail? :-) Aug 26, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

You produced 5x5 more invitation.:)

I do not think that a member gets those five invitations automatically. I think one should be a "trusted" customer to get them. I guess after a short time, everyone gets them.
But GMail is really nice

Monika

Monika,

I think you are right, I must be a trusted customer in that case. I can´t believe that I recieved 6 requests for Gmail invitations within 5 minutes of my post! I was not expecting such a response. Wouldn´t it be cool if everyone who had an invitation offered it up on proz.com? It would be keeping with the spirit of generosity and collaboration on which proz.com is founded. Maybe more people will offer their invitations to the community.

David

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:57
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Nice words David Aug 26, 2004

David Jessop wrote:

It would be keeping with the spirit of generosity and collaboration on which proz.com is founded...

David

Hi David,
Well said! And I am so grateful to be part of this great community, where members donate their time and talents to help each-other.
Have a nice one everyone

Monika

xxxpucoug  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:42
English to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 26, 2004

David Jessop wrote:

The invitations only come once in a while. I am not sure if they are randomly generated or what, but it is unlikely that one of the people I invited would recieve one in the next few days. That was the first time I got that many; usually they only send me one (1) once in a while and this time they sent me five at the same time. If more come my way, I will offer them up again on proz.com. Hopefully, the people I invited will recieve some too and be willing to share them with other translators. I wanted to offer them on proz.com because so many people here have generously helped me.

Best Wishes,
David

Oh, ok. I didn\'t know it worked that way Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

Prashant

colemh
Local time: 23:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spymac Aug 27, 2004

Another option you might want to consider:

www.spymac.com

1 GB e-mail account (free),
250 MB of space to upload pictures in the Spymac Gallery
100 MB free space on Spymac Hosting with WebDAV access
Free iCal Hosting (both public and private)
The ability to create your very own personal Gallery and Forum
POP3 and Webmail access

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to Russian
+ ...
is it soo different from. say, Yahoo? Aug 27, 2004

Or what?
On the "conservative" side - I'd say, - there is no free lunches.. that Gmail will ask for smth later (if not right now).

I have tried Google bar - later, when i have refused, they even have aksed me ,why', saying "you are prob. the only one who rejected it". However, with me, the bar installation somehow has limited the usage of russian with Kudoz.. - so I had to get rid of it. Is not that funny?

Very best,
V.

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 06:57
English to French
+ ...
the "something" Aug 27, 2004

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Or what?
On the \"conservative\" side - I\'d say, - there is no free lunches.. that Gmail will ask for smth later (if not right now).

They already ask for something now.

What I have understood, the Gmails are read (by a machine) and some words in the message trick an automatic response, which refer to the commercial ads seen on google.

I mean, if in you message you talk about a lawnmower, the recipient will get an ad with the message about someone selling lawnmowers and advertising on google.

It\'s the beauty of the thing, this way they attract more announcers and make more money.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It`s a lot better than Yahoo Aug 27, 2004

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Or what?
On the "conservative" side - I'd say, - there is no free lunches.. that Gmail will ask for smth later (if not right now).

I have tried Google bar - later, when i have refused, they even have aksed me ,why', saying "you are prob. the only one who rejected it". However, with me, the bar installation somehow has limited the usage of russian with Kudoz.. - so I had to get rid of it. Is not that funny?

Very best,
V.

The system is still only in English, given that it is still in Beta mode. However, they are planning to translate it into other languages. I don`t think Yahoo and Gmail are even comparable. It is much, much better in my opinion. And yes, as Lien indicated, they are already asking for "something." However, that "something" feels to me a lot less intrusive than pop-up ads and graphics. They are text ads nothing more and only show up when you are writing or reading an email, not when you are in the email index. Most of the time, I don`t even realize that the ads are there. There is no tag that shows up in your email or advertising other than the text ads. It`s great.

David

[Edited at 2004-08-27 19:45]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
5 More Invitations!!! Aug 28, 2004

Hello Colleagues,

OK, you guys won`t believe this, but Google has just offered me five (5) more invitations. I guess I am now an even more trusted customer now. Or perhaps they are just closer to opening up the service to the public and want to expand quickly. I don`t know.

Whatever the case, I am offering them to the proz.com community again at the low price of FREE. The first five (5) people to email me THROUGH MY PROFILE will get an invitation. This is only open to people WHO ARE LOGGED IN at the time of writing me (i.e. you must be a member of proz.com). The last batch went in five minutes of my writing the email so I expect these to go quickly too. I will write another email when they are all taken.

Best wishes,
David

xxxjavben
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gmail invitation. Aug 28, 2004

Hi David;

Thanks for the chance your are giving us.
Regards.
======================================================

David Jessop wrote:

Hello Colleagues,

OK, you guys won`t believe this, but Google has just offered me five (5) more invitations. I guess I am now an even more trusted customer now. Or perhaps they are just closer to opening up the service to the public and want to expand quickly. I don`t know.

Whatever the case, I am offering them to the proz.com community again at the low price of FREE. The first five (5) people to email me THROUGH MY PROFILE will get an invitation. This is only open to people WHO ARE LOGGED IN at the time of writing me (i.e. you must be a member of proz.com). The last batch went in five minutes of my writing the email so I expect these to go quickly too. I will write another email when they are all taken.

Best wishes,
David

[Edited at 2004-08-28 10:13]

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:57
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
2 gb Yahoo - not for free but OK Aug 28, 2004

I am a paying Yahoo customer with an extended mailbox, which has now gone down in price and has a lot more storage - 2 gigabyte. So if anybody does not manage to get one of the 5 new Google invites, check out Yahoo mail.
It filters out most of the spam, you can generate different email addresses (which you can then discard), send and receive mail from different addresses in the same interface, save the mail texts to your computer, etc. etc.
The free version 'only' offers 100 mb, and has less options (mail forwarding to another address for instance).
ciao,& have a good weekend
Anjo

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

!!6 more Gmail invitations to offer. See my latest post.

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs