Thread poster: Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all! Sep 2, 2004

Hello again and many thanks for the responses.

I am doing a concious effort now to keep my back against the chair back. It works regarding keeping the load off my stomach muscles and allowing me to breathe more freely.

But there's more to it. I now believe I've been using this posture to keep a lid on anxiety and the whole sleeping trouble is my body telling me that I can no longer deny my anxiety.

I was doing concious efforts to escape reality but wasn't a
... See more
Hello again and many thanks for the responses.

I am doing a concious effort now to keep my back against the chair back. It works regarding keeping the load off my stomach muscles and allowing me to breathe more freely.

But there's more to it. I now believe I've been using this posture to keep a lid on anxiety and the whole sleeping trouble is my body telling me that I can no longer deny my anxiety.

I was doing concious efforts to escape reality but wasn't aware that I was doing also a lot of unconcious stuff for the same purpose.

Many useful proposals here. Will try some and keep going.

Is dictating software really a useful way to work? I've been intrigued by it but never tried it as my computer is not powerful enough. But with a huge upgrade coming soon I may try it.

Again, thanks to all for the tips and advice.
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:28
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wow! Sep 2, 2004

Peter Linton wrote:

...I sit in a big comfortable leather armchair with an adjustable back, so that I am sometimes nearly horizontal, feet up, back straight, stomach relaxed, upper body muscles relaxed (helped by regular visits to the gym), and I talk to my computer...

[Edited at 2004-09-02 10:04]

Don't you ever fall asleep???

Andrea

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:28
Try a foot rest! Sep 2, 2004

It could also help. Just like some people in this thread, I tried different ergonomic chairs to no avail, and what has really helped me maintain a straight back (and avoid back pain), is a simple foot rest. Somehow, havig your legs slightly elevated makes you sit in a straighter position! If at the begining you are not convinced, you can always give it a try by placing two phone books under your feet. If you like the results, then you can go an shop for a foot rest.

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
"Pot "belly???? Sep 2, 2004

PAS wrote:

Pablo Roufogalis wrote:
...I am also developing a pot belly and the stomach muscles feel tight all the time...

An ergonomic chair is nice, but it will not make your pot belly disappear.

Hello Pawel and thanks for your reply.

The sad thing is that the pot belly comes from the abnormal effort of supporting my torso, not from any fun activities such as food and drink

And BTW, with the post-60s usage of words, it should be called a beer belly. As far as I know you don\'t get paunchy from pot. Ugly teeth and yellow fingers, yes, but not a belly.

Best regards.

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Voice Recognition Sep 2, 2004

Peter Linton wrote:

An unconventional answer, but it works for me. Instead of being hunched over a keyboard, stomach compressed, I sit in a big comfortable leather armchair with an adjustable back, so that I am sometimes nearly horizontal, feet up, back straight, stomach relaxed, upper body muscles relaxed (helped by regular visits to the gym), and I talk to my computer using voice recognition software. I used to have some of the problems you describe, but not any more.

[Edited at 2004-09-02 10:04]

Hello Peter and thanks for your reply.

Do you use Trados? I think of the ViaVoice approach and shudder thinking of Trados going crazy, something that I deeply dread.

Honey, I'll be working so please don't talk to me, don't sneeze and get the dog out

What VR software do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:28
German to French
+ ...
No VR but a cordless keyboard and some Tai-chi-chuan Sep 9, 2004

Pablo Roufogalis wrote:

Do you use Trados? I think of the ViaVoice approach and shudder thinking of Trados going crazy, something that I deeply dread.

Hi Pablo,

Hi,
I don't use a VR software but I've seen several threads on this subject in the Yahoo "Trados users" group (personally, I tried one a few years ago but I noticed that I need the typing time to think and it didn't work very well with VR - I don't always prepare a whole sentence in my head before typing it).
As for posture, I bought a cordless keyboard & mouse and that enabled me to organize my working space as I want it without having to hunch over my dictionaries in order to type... This way I'm not sitting as relaxed as Peter but I definitely have a better position and I can also change my position as I need. Little movement is better than none, isn't it? Your position may also be due to eyesight problems. If it's the case, a bigger screen could perhaps improve your position - details to be considered for your "big upgrade"...
Another great help for my body muscles was Tai-chi-chuan! I used to have pains in the neck and shoulders due to sitting and writing all day long when I was a student and I feel much better since I've starting practicing. Any sport will do as long as you manage to give your body some exercise!
I tried the kneeling-type chairs some years ago and I didn't like the strain on my knees, plus I noticed that it didn't prevent me from hunching...
I hope that you have find useful suggestions in all the presented answers and that work will be a pleasure again for you very soon
Regards
Marie-Céline GEORG

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posture while sitting at the computer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »