Mobile menu

Where can I find universal language codes?
Thread poster: Stendahls
Stendahls
Local time: 19:18
English
Sep 8, 2004

Hi,

my first post here!
I am looking for a complete list (as possible) of standard codes for active languages. i.e fre = french, usa = american english, swe = swedish and so on.

This far i have only been able to find the iso-standard list, but that doesnt contain languages like american english and brazilian portuguese.

Any tips?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-08 18:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
W3C recommendations Sep 8, 2004

Stendahls wrote:
This far i have only been able to find the iso-standard list, but that doesnt contain languages like american english and brazilian portuguese.

My best bet so far are the W3C recommendations, which mix ISO 639 and 639-2 language codes (2 and 3 letter standards), and ISO 3166 country codes.

For example (taken from the same site):

en - English - ISO-639 two-letter language code

mas - Masai - ISO-639 three-letter language code

fr-CA - French as used in Canada - ISO-639 two-letter code with ISO-3166 two-letter country code

en-scouse - English Liverpudlian dialect known as 'Scouse' - ISO-639 two-letter language code with addition, IANA-registered

i-klingon - Klingon - IANA-registered language code

So far is the best standard, and considers even dialects although that usage is not too widespread.

Hope it helped!

[Edited at 2004-09-08 14:55]

[Edited at 2004-09-08 14:57]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:18
SITE FOUNDER
ISO or SIL Sep 8, 2004

Rossana wrote:

My best bet so far are the W3C recommendations, which mix ISO 639 and 639-2 language codes (2 and 3 letter standards), and ISO 3166 country codes.

This is the most common approach, and probably best for most applications. With 400+ languages in the ISO 3-letter codes, some will be missing. And as Rossana indicated, you have to deal somehow with dialects within countries.

If your interest is more academic/linguistic and less commercial/practical, there is a more complete encoding scheme (7148 languages) available from SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics): http://www.ethnologue.com/codes/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find universal language codes?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs