Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there any free translation software available?
Thread poster: fsdfsdfsd sdfsdf
fsdfsdfsd sdfsdf
Luxembourg
Local time: 11:30
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 16, 2004

Dear freelancers
Maybe someone can suugest some www site where I could download translation programm for free.
Thank you for your answers
Aija

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-16 11:22]

Hei Sonja
I mean those programmas you mentioned (off course I know Trados for example is not for free)
Till now I have downloaded OmegaT, but still find problems working with it (I can\'t find latvian language

Aija

[Edited at 2004-09-16 13:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Moving the thread Sep 16, 2004

to the Translator resources forum

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:30
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Try WordFast Sep 16, 2004

You are allowed to use WordFast for free (only limit, TMs can't exceed 500 units)... Once you get used to it you would probably want to spend the some 160 Eur to be able to build bigger tms

try www.wordfast.net

Good luck!

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please explain. Sep 16, 2004

What do you exactly mean by translation software? CAT, such as Trados? Machine translation software? Dictionaries and glossaries?

fsdfsdfsd sdfsdf
Luxembourg
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Sonja Sep 16, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

What do you exactly mean by translation software? CAT, such as Trados? Machine translation software? Dictionaries and glossaries?

Hei Sonja
I mean those programmas you mentioned (off course I know Trados for example is not for free)
Till now I have downloaded OmegaT, but still find problems working with it (I can\'t find latvian language

Aija

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
An older version of Wordfast Sep 16, 2004

is available for free under

http://www.wordfast.org/

It is fully functional, without limitations. You can evaluate the software and then decide whether to buy a new version.

New versions, manuals etc. you will find under

http://www.wordfast.net/

Best regards

Andrzej

[Edited at 2004-09-16 13:42]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
OmegaT Sep 16, 2004

There is a OmegaT user group on Yahoo.

The link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/

I assume that the problem you mentioned (finding Latvian as language) occurs when you create a project and OmegaT asks you to enter the language pairs. However, OmegaT as such does not have a listing of languages from which you can choose. All you have to do is enter the language abbreviation. For English this is EN-UK or EN-US, depending on whether it is American or British English. For German DE-DE and for Latvian probably LT-01 or something similar. (Search in Google for ISO language codes.)

I hope that this helps for the moment. Otherwise, just post your request to the group mentioned above.

Good luck.
Sonja

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Wordfast cheaper in Latvia Sep 16, 2004

Dinny wrote:
Once you get used to it you would probably want to spend the some 160 Eur to be able to build bigger tms

Hi,

the full (newest) version of Wordfast is available for translators in Eastern Europe (and other low-income-states) for 90 Euro, if they are residents of those states.

Charlotte

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Extract-tool Synchroterm for free Sep 17, 2004

Hi Aija,

A very useful CAT-tool you can download and use for free is "SynchroTerm" from BridgeTerm. This program extracts terminology from documents (even very large ones) that can be used for building up glossaries or dictionaries. The program has very powerful features and is easy to use.

Sorry, but I forgot the link (search under www.google.com)

Hope that helps you. Bye.

Mike

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Synchroterm Sep 18, 2004

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi Aija,

A very useful CAT-tool you can download and use for free is "SynchroTerm" from BridgeTerm. This program extracts terminology from documents (even very large ones) that can be used for building up glossaries or dictionaries. The program has very powerful features and is easy to use.

I have downloaded synchroterm, it is a zipfile, but there is nowhere to be seen how do you install the program, usually you have a Read me text to explain.

Can someone explain me ?

It really does seems interesting, I would like to use it.

Andrei Albu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:30
English to Romanian
+ ...
It does not support all languages Sep 19, 2004

According to the Bridge Term's web site, Synchroterm supports only the following languages: English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and German. Does this mean you cannot use it for other languages, say, Latvian or Romanian?

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Synchroterm installation Sep 19, 2004

lien wrote:

I have downloaded synchroterm, it is a zipfile, but there is nowhere to be seen how do you install the program, usually you have a Read me text to explain.

Can someone explain me ?

Unzip the archive to a temporary folder and run setup.exe.

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Hynek Sep 21, 2004

Thank you for your answer.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Logos Wordfast not unrestricted Sep 30, 2004

Andrzej Lejman wrote:
Wordfast is available for free under http://www.wordfast.org/
It is fully functional, without limitations.

As far as I know, the version available at wordfast.org (the Logos version) is not fully functional either. It is limited to 256 segments. The version downloadable from wordfast.net (the real version) is limited to 500 segments.

However... there used to be a version very similar to the Logos version which is indeed totally unlimited, but this version is no longer publicly downloadable anywhere (some old Wordfast users may still have copies of it, though). It is not illegal to use or distribute this old unlimited version (being version 3.35x), but it must be understood that it is an *old* version and that the newer version (version 4.22) is much, much better and certainly worth the EUR 170 you pay for unlocking the 500 segment limit.

Keep in mind that the Wordfast limit is 500 segments *per translation memory file*, and you can create as many translation memory files as you like, thereby reusing the limit.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any free translation software available?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs