Seeking Website Wordcount Software
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2004

Hi there.

I'd like to know what everyone out there uses to compile files from a website and then count the words.

I use Teleport Pro and then Practicount, but I'm not convinced that this is the best method. Is there a program out there that will do this all in one shot for me?

Thanks.
Sandra


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 12:54
English to German
+ ...
Webbudget or Tageditor - Trados Sep 30, 2004

Sandra Alboum wrote:

Hi there.

I'd like to know what everyone out there uses to compile files from a website and then count the words.

I use Teleport Pro and then Practicount, but I'm not convinced that this is the best method. Is there a program out there that will do this all in one shot for me?

Thanks.
Sandra
Do you wish to do the word count on the web (running site) or locally ( ftped) and running on local comp. You want invoicing aswell then practiline software is good. I am using it.
Cheers
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-09-30 21:15]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is what I want - does it exist? Sep 30, 2004

I would like to be able to type a web address into a program, and it goes through the website, extracts all the HTML files that make up that website, and then counts the words for me. Or maybe something that just does the first half of that sentence. Does that exist?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:54
German to Spanish
You may take a look at Sep 30, 2004

http://www.stormdance.net/

I'll never try it but I heard a lot of good comments.

Rgds

[Edited at 2004-10-01 08:07]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Claudio Chagas
Brazil
Local time: 07:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If that exists I wand one too! Sep 30, 2004

Sandra Alboum wrote:

I would like to be able to type a web address into a program, and it goes through the website, extracts all the HTML files that make up that website, and then counts the words for me. Or maybe something that just does the first half of that sentence. Does that exist?


That would be brilliant to have a programme that does the word cound for an entire site that easily. It's heard to believe there's one though.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:54
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course there is Oct 1, 2004

Claudio Chagas wrote:
That would be brilliant to have a programme that does the word cound for an entire site that easily. It's heard to believe there's one though.


Not so hard to believe. Just give WebBudget the website address, and it will download it to your hard disk, keeping pages and directories, it has a Quote Text function that counts translatable text in all those pages, has a glossary function and will save the translated page, keeping all HTML tags and formatting. Try it!

Regards

[Edited at 2004-10-01 03:02]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Claudio Chagas
Brazil
Local time: 07:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is there one for the Mac? Oct 1, 2004

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:


Not so hard to believe. Just give WebBudget the website address, and it will download it to your hard disk, keeping pages and directories, it has a Quote Text function that counts translatable text in all those pages, has a glossary function and will save the translated page, keeping all HTML tags and formatting. Try it!

Regards

[Edited at 2004-10-01 03:02]


That sounds wonderful!

Know of a similar product that runs on Mac? That\'s a harder challenge, I presume.

Cheers,
CC


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
Check MacLingua out Oct 1, 2004

Claudio Chagas wrote:
Know of a similar product that runs on Mac? That's a harder challenge, I presume.


Hello Claudio

Check the archives of MacLingua at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MacLingua/
Recently (maybe in the last 4-6 weeks) there was a thread about downloading (I think) Web sites and counting (I'm sure) the words - I remember several suggestions were made but I don't remember the solution

HTH


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:54
English to French
+ ...
website copier Oct 4, 2004

Hi,

I use HTTrack Website Copier to download the site than count with Practicount and/or Trados depending on the type of site.

HTH


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking Website Wordcount Software

Advanced search







LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs