TRADOS older versions
Thread poster: Elena Ames
Elena Ames
United States
Local time: 22:42
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2004

I would like to buy a Trados Software, but I don't have that much money, after 2 years of taking care of my kids, I am just returning back to work, can't afford to spend $1300.

I don't know if it's legal, I hope so, if not I would hear any advices from you. I would like to buy a used Trados version if you bought the newest and don't know what to do with the old one, I would buy it. This is what I am looking for.

Thank you for your replies!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:42
English to German
+ ...
Less than USD 1,300 Oct 5, 2004

Hi Elena,
I am just returning back to work, can't afford to spend $1300.

I'm not sure where you saw that price tag, but I guess you're referring to the price of TermExtract, which is an additional tool.

The best current price for T6.5 Freelance is below USD 700. If you're not in a hurry, check www.translatorgroupbuying.com.

If you buy a used version, make sure that you're buying a legally purchased license - chances are you might be getting offers for "cracked" software where the copy-protection has been broken. These offers usually involve illegal software copies.

Best regards, Ralf

Elena Ames
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 5, 2004

The best current price for T6.5 Freelance is below USD 700. If you\\\'re not in a hurry, check www.translatorgroupbuying.com.

If you buy a used version, make sure that you\\\'re buying a legally purchased license - chances are you might be getting offers for \\\"cracked\\\" software where the copy-protection has been broken. These offers usually involve illegal software copies.

Best regards, Ralf

but even $700 is a lot of money, at least for me right now, I am just trying to pay all my bills and just returning back, so I thought the older version would be a good idea, at least I could afford. I will check out your links.

Is there any other software? From what I read Trados is the best on the market and a lot of clients require this software. Am I right?

How would I know if the copy is illegal? I feel such a dummy!

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It all depends what you translate.... Oct 5, 2004

Is there any other software? From what I read Trados is the best on the market and a lot of clients require this software. Am I right?

How would I know if the copy is illegal? I feel such a dummy!

When I got Trados some 3 years ago now it paid for itself at least twice over within the first month - allowing me to translate more than 450 pages in just three weeks (because there were pages and pages and pages of repetitions, and it was a direct client who didn't demand a reduction for repetitions and matches, but was happy that the same thing was translated the same way each time).

If the work you plan on doing is highly repetitive (like technical manuals, financial statements, etc.), then your investment ought to pay for itself very quickly.

I can't say if Trados is the best on the market - I've never used anything else. Other names I've heard bandied about are Wordfast, Transit, and Deja Vue. There are almost certainly other programs too.

A lot of translation agencies will ask their translators to use a specific CAT tool, and because Trados is the market leader that's what a lot of them want (same way that they want you to use Word or Excel and not Wordperfect or Lotus). I believe that some of the other CAT tools allow you to produce a version of the "uncleaned" file in a version that is compatible with Trados.

If you buy your software from a reputable source (like buying direct from Trados, or translator group buying, etc.) then it's almost certainly kosher. If someone offers you the latest version of Trados for a hundred bucks, then you ought to be smelling a rat.

HTH

Alison

Elena Ames
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 5, 2004

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

When I got Trados some 3 years ago now it paid for itself at least twice over within the first month

Alison, thank you very much for your reply. Again, I can\'t spend that much money on new version of Trados right this minute, simply because I don\'t have a single client yet! How would I know when will it be paied off. So, that\'s my issue. But I also want my clients to know that I am a professional (lately, it seems like people pay attention on what software you use = your professionalism). If I could have two or three clients, I would seriously consider buying it, as I said I am just returning back to the market and it\'s tougher then ever. I might consider other softwares like WordFast and etc. At least it\'s much cheaper! Thanks again, and all your comments mean so much to me, because I feel holeless sometimes.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Wordfast? Oct 5, 2004

Elena Ames wrote:

How would I know if the copy is illegal?

The copy will be legal if you get a dongle with it. It's a hardware key that has to be connected to your computer, otherwise Trados will run in demo mode. Dongle is optional with current version of Trados, but it had to be used with previous versions.

Trados is OK, but I'm not sure if it's the best. A few days ago it was possible to buy SDLX Standard for about 300 USD, but the promotion is already over. You could try Wordfast. It's a commercial software, but you can download older free versions.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Make me an offer Oct 5, 2004

Elena,

I have Trados 1.0 for sale, including Multiterm 95, with dongle and English manuals. I paid 4,000 Deutschmarks for it in 1997. Make me an offer.

Better: ask Ralf what he thinks it's worth, subtract 50%, and send me what's left plus postage.

Better still: take Hynek's advice and stump up the 180 bucks or so for Wordfast. You won't regret it.

Best of all: take Alison's advice, buy the program you want, and make the software work for you instead of you working for the software. Try out two or three demo programs to see which suits you best, and make sure that Deja Vu is one of them. And if you can't afford what you want yet, start by using OmegaT. It's free this week, next week, and next year no matter who wins the election. Point that high-speed Internet connection of yours to www.omegat.org and get a copy.

Marc

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Try before you buy... Oct 5, 2004

Elena Ames wrote:

...simply because I don't have a single client yet!

I can't say much about the CAT programs, but if you don't have any clients yet, then you probably have the time to download and test the trial version of WordFast to see if you like working that way. I assume that most CAT programs function in much the same way. If you like it, you can consider saving your money for a full version of one of them.

Elena Ames
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you just saved my day! Oct 5, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

Elena,

I have Trados 1.0 for sale, including Multiterm 95, with dongle and English manuals. I paid 4,000 Deutschmarks for it in 1997. Make me an offer.

Better: ask Ralf what he thinks it's worth, subtract 50%, and send me what's left plus postage.

Better still: take Hynek's advice and stump up the 180 bucks or so for Wordfast. You won't regret it.

Best of all: take Alison's advice, buy the program you want, and make the software work for you instead of you working for the software. Try out two or three demo programs to see which suits you best, and make sure that Deja Vu is one of them. And if you can't afford what you want yet, start by using OmegaT. It's free this week, next week, and next year no matter who wins the election. Point that high-speed Internet connection of yours to www.omegat.org and get a copy.

Marc

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I will ask Ralf about the fare price. I also downloaded WordFast (free version) to see if I like how it works. I am downloading now the OmegaT version right now.

THANK YOU!

Guys, you are the best! I am sitting and crying here from happiness!

Lena

Elena Ames
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Oct 5, 2004

Derek Gill wrote:

Elena Ames wrote:

...simply because I don't have a single client yet!

I can't say much about the CAT programs, but if you don't have any clients yet, then you probably have the time to download and test the trial version of WordFast to see if you like working that way. I assume that most CAT programs function in much the same way. If you like it, you can consider saving your money for a full version of one of them.

You are the best, guys! Thank you so much! I just downloaded the WordFast Free version and looking at it. Let's see if I like working this way. I am more optimistic now!

LEna

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Easy to make someone happy Oct 5, 2004

That is great! That just a little advice can bring about so much happiness....

Wordfast is also the tool I started out with, and I still have not bought TRADOS.
I can quite easily use both TRADOS files and Wordfast files in Wordfast (I can clean uncleaned TRADOS files and TRADOS will clean uncleaned Wordfast files)-> both programmes use the same WORD interface. So learn Wordfast and you will know a lot about how TRADOS behaves as well, and may not even need it anymore.

Only when I get asked to translate in tag-editor (TRADOS) I have to say no - although there must be a way around that as well...

I also have SDLX now, which is affordable, and it does have a lot of extra features (similar to Déjà Vu) as it works NOT in Word, but has its own screen layout. And with SDLX you can export and import TRADOS files as well.

I use SDLX for technical projects mainly, there are many advantages (working with several translation memories, you can see about 10 different translations of the same/a similar sentence etc.) and an international translation agency with a lot of technical work designed it and uses it....

(I saw you do technical translations mainly)(where does the wax museum come into the equation?)

Happy CAT-ting!

[Edited at 2004-10-05 22:50]

[Edited at 2004-10-05 22:53]

Elena Ames
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wax Museum Oct 5, 2004

anjoboira wrote:

(I saw you do technical translations mainly)(where does the wax museum come into the equation?)

Happy CAT-ting!

Thank you so much! I will definately explore my options!

As for the Wax Museum, I helped my friend to establish a museum here in the US and he needed some professional translations for the "approved" excursions. That's how it got on my profile.))

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TagEditor files in SDLX Oct 6, 2004

anjoboira wrote:

Only when I get asked to translate in tag-editor (TRADOS) I have to say no - although there must be a way around that as well...

I also have SDLX now, which is affordable, and it does have a lot of extra features (similar to Déjà Vu) as it works NOT in Word, but has its own screen layout. And with SDLX you can export and import TRADOS files as well.

Exactly - you can use SDLX to translate TagEditor files. The files can be converted (in both ways) using SDL Exchange, which is available for free.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS older versions

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs