Mobile menu

Online resource - hyphenation
Thread poster: henley
henley
Local time: 13:38
Portuguese to English
Oct 6, 2004

I'm looking for a free online English language hyphenation guide to speed up proof-reading of texts for publication. (Texts have been typeset by non-English speakers, and words incorrectly divided at end of sentences.)

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:38
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Webster's? Oct 6, 2004

As a guide, I use Webster's (Merriam-Webster, for American English)

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hyphenation&x=16&y=14

My passive observation over the years is that British English uses different rules.

If you are looking for a tool of some sort, sorry - I don't know of one.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:38
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Merriam-Webster is fine Oct 6, 2004

This is a free link:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hyphenate

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2004-10-06 20:05]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oxford Oct 6, 2004

I use the Merriam Webster's too. The ultimate guide - to GB English hyphenation - is the Oxford Spelling Dictionary, which is sadly out of print. Failing that, a standard monolingual such as the Oxford should be useful

[Edited at 2004-10-06 21:17]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
henley
Local time: 13:38
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Oct 6, 2004

Terry Gilman wrote:

As a guide, I use Webster's (Merriam-Webster, for American English)

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hyphenation&x=16&y=14

My passive observation over the years is that British English uses different rules.

If you are looking for a tool of some sort, sorry - I don't know of one.





Direct link Reply with quote
 
henley
Local time: 13:38
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Oct 6, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

I use the Merriam Webster's too. The ultimate guide - to GB English hyphenation - is the Oxford Spelling Dictionary, which is sadly out of print. Failing that, a standard monolingual such as the Oxford should be useful

[Edited at 2004-10-06 21:17]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
henley
Local time: 13:38
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful - thank you. Oct 6, 2004

Gerard de Noord wrote:

This is a free link:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hyphenate

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2004-10-06 20:05]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online resource - hyphenation

Advanced search


Translation news





Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs