https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/25682-a_new_tool%3A_google_desktop_search.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
A new tool: Google Desktop Search
Thread poster: Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:16
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 15, 2004

"Search your own computer."
http://desktop.google.com/

Part of the official description:

Google Desktop Search is a desktop search application that provides full text search over your email, computer files, chats, and the web pages you've viewed. By making your computer searchable, Google Desktop Search puts yo
... See more

Google Desktop Search is a desktop search application that provides full text search over your email, computer files, chats, and the web pages you've viewed. By making your computer searchable, Google Desktop Search puts your information easily within your reach and frees you from having to manually organize your files, emails, and bookmarks.

I haven't installed the tool yet, but it looks promising. Be careful though, it's still in the beta stage and there might be some privacy issues.

Please share your experience if you are already using it.
Collapse

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Desktop search galore Oct 15, 2004

I have just downloaded and used very happily Copernic Desktop search. Incredibly fast and thorough. A marvel for people like me, with files in too many places. A great gain of time and worry. I have no doubt that Google will at least equal it in speed, reliability and ease of use.
You must of course realise though that all the insides of your computer are there for all to see, although the settings on Copernic allow some sifting.

Claudette Hepburn

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for the tip Oct 15, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Google Desktop Search is a desktop search application that provides full text search over your email, computer files, chats, and the web pages you've viewed. By making your computer searchable, Google Desktop Search puts your information easily within your reach and frees you from having to manually organize your files, emails, and bookmarks.

I haven't installed the tool yet, but it looks promising. Be careful though, it's still in the beta stage and there might be some privacy issues.

Please share your experience if you are already using it.
It is indeed grand.
Rgds,
Brandis

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
bug in search function of Windows XP Home Edition Oct 15, 2004

If any of the listers have been using the search function in Windows XP Home Edition, please note that I found a bug in it about a year ago (at least in the French localized version). The function for searching inside of files does not dentify all occurrences of a word that is searched on. I had a huge set of files in a directory and was doing a search on a word that was expected to be very frequent in many of the files; the XP search function only gave a few hits, which seemed very bizarre to... See more
If any of the listers have been using the search function in Windows XP Home Edition, please note that I found a bug in it about a year ago (at least in the French localized version). The function for searching inside of files does not dentify all occurrences of a word that is searched on. I had a huge set of files in a directory and was doing a search on a word that was expected to be very frequent in many of the files; the XP search function only gave a few hits, which seemed very bizarre to me. So I opened up the DOS prompt and did the same query with the FIND command, which in turn came up with tons of hits on the same word.
I have not found the same problem with Win2000.

At the office, we installed a search engine on the intranet that can do a search on everything, or can do searches only subparts that can be selected in a pulldown list (such as mail, docs, etc). I think it is a free search engine as well. It can run inside the firewall without exposing the content to the extranet, which is what this new Google tool seems to be doing.
I'll investigate on what tool we use at the office and let the listers know what it is.

Jeff

Hynek Palatin wrote:
Collapse

Jaroslav Tomiczek
Jaroslav Tomiczek  Identity Verified
English to Czech
beta Oct 15, 2004

Looked promising, but refuses to work on a system with NOD32 and NetLimiter installed. I have to wait till they fix the bug.
Jaro

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
great, Oct 16, 2004

Thanks

didi

[Edited at 2004-10-16 09:16]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
For all to see? Oct 16, 2004

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

You must of course realise though that all the insides of your computer are there for all to see,...

Claudette Hepburn

Why?
The program only make a index of all contents, like other programs, (well this is for free). Or am I missing something?

The problem creating this index is time, I have 2 x 160 GB, I think it must take over one day. Some experience?
Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2004-10-16 21:13]

Hepburn
France
English to French
+ ...
Desktop searches Oct 16, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

You must of course realise though that all the insides of your computer are there for all to see,...

Claudette Hepburn

Why?
The program only make a index of all contents, like other programs, (well this is for free). Or am I missing something?

The problem creating this index is time, I have 2 x 160 GB, I think it must take over one day. Some experience?
Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2004-10-16 21:13]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Seems to work Oct 17, 2004

I installed the Google Desktop search yesterday and was surprised to find it only 419 files (status report). But when I now search for some words it seems to find the occurencies all right.
I wonder if there is a possibility to search also through CD-ROMs shelved, probably most of us have more files "on the bookshelf" or in show-boxes than on the hard disk. Anyone tried Google on that?

Regards
Heinrich

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Not necessarily Google Oct 17, 2004

Hi
I do not have experience with Google Desktop Search. For some time though I have been using Copernicus Desktop Search. Its capability of finding single words or expressions is exceptional. So far it never failed. First it creates an index file, which is very large, depending on the number of files you want to index, mine is for example 200 MB. It adds words to the index whenever you create or import a new document. You can decide what files are to be searched, in which folders, discs, e
... See more
Hi
I do not have experience with Google Desktop Search. For some time though I have been using Copernicus Desktop Search. Its capability of finding single words or expressions is exceptional. So far it never failed. First it creates an index file, which is very large, depending on the number of files you want to index, mine is for example 200 MB. It adds words to the index whenever you create or import a new document. You can decide what files are to be searched, in which folders, discs, etc. They can include e-mails, attachments, so virtually all types of files. The program works in background and occupies some resources, but its potential is worth it.
Collapse

Gilberto Lacchia
Gilberto Lacchia  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Copernic vs Google Oct 17, 2004

blondas wrote:

The program works in background and occupies some resources, but its potential is worth it.

Yes, I agree: I have been using Copernic for some time and I am very satisfied of it. I installed Google DS on a second computer but I could not evaluate it thoroughly. The first impression is positive, and it does not seem to use so many resources as Copernic; a downside is that at present it does not index PDF files (I have tons of them on my computer).

For the moment I will keep Copernic.

Gilberto

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Brilliant Oct 17, 2004

Just what I need. Thanks a lot.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
before installing... Oct 17, 2004

...take a look at:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000264.html

Rgds

Hepburn
France
English to French
+ ...
Google and privacy concerns Oct 18, 2004

Yes, it is a bit chilling. I have now installed Google desksearch too and I can't help feeling their teeth are getting rather long :"C'est pour mieux te manger, mon enfant..."

what do you make of that?

*** Google
Integration
Display relevant searches on Google. Your personal results are private from Google:

Show Desktop Search results on Google Web Search result pages***

It is up to you (if you first scrutinize the screen well
... See more
Yes, it is a bit chilling. I have now installed Google desksearch too and I can't help feeling their teeth are getting rather long :"C'est pour mieux te manger, mon enfant..."

what do you make of that?

*** Google
Integration
Display relevant searches on Google. Your personal results are private from Google:

Show Desktop Search results on Google Web Search result pages***

It is up to you (if you first scrutinize the screen well to find out how to set your preferences)to decide. But that means that whoever does not set it to *Not show* can have the findings displayed in Google search? For the general public? Am I getting it right?

I am a Google friend, but having second thoughts now.

Claudette
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Privacy Oct 18, 2004

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

It is up to you (if you first scrutinize the screen well to find out how to set your preferences)to decide. But that means that whoever does not set it to *Not show* can have the findings displayed in Google search? For the general public? Am I getting it right?

Not for general public, just for you.

As for Toledo's link - Google Desktop doesn't give access to any information that wouldn't be accessible anyway. I wouldn't expect such an article in a computer magazine.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new tool: Google Desktop Search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »