Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:36
English to French
+ ...
Privacy Oct 18, 2004

Sigh of relief...
I was rather suspicious because I recently found my name on the WWW (through Google) linked to several ProZ forums (I am French: un forum - des forums). Do you know about that too? I wonder whether this is really necessary. And at any rate, I did not wish more exposure on the net.

Claudette

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Privacy Oct 18, 2004

Claudette Hepburn wrote:
I was rather suspicious because I recently found my name on the WWW (through Google) linked to several ProZ forums (I am French: un forum - des forums). Do you know about that too? I wonder whether this is really necessary. And at any rate, I did not wish more exposure on the net.

Of course. ProZ forums are publicly accessible, so Google and other search engines can read them too. Which is good, because searching the forums via Google can be easier than using ProZ own search system.

If you don't want your name in search engines, you should start using a nickname or stop posting to the forums.

Hepburn
France
English to French
+ ...
privacy Oct 18, 2004

[quote]Hynek Palatin wrote:

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

But that means that whoever does not set it to *Not show* can have the findings displayed in Google search? For the general public? Am I getting it right?

Not for general public, just for you.

/quote]

I wonder about that...
A French website (Framasoft) does state that the search results can be made public on Google search.

It is difficult to test from one\\\'s own PC.

Claudette (looking for an alias)

Hepburn
France
English to French
+ ...
copernic vs google desktop search Oct 18, 2004

Well, I have thoroughly tested both engines and there is no doubt that Copernic is way better in all respects than Google.

1. The interface in Cop. is great: informative, clear, faultless.
2. The settings are very complete, very flexible and can really fit your needs. It can really be tamed as you wish it to be.
3. The search results are tidy, not as fussy as the ones obtained through Google. They are given in chronological order too, at least for photos, which is great.
... See more
Well, I have thoroughly tested both engines and there is no doubt that Copernic is way better in all respects than Google.

1. The interface in Cop. is great: informative, clear, faultless.
2. The settings are very complete, very flexible and can really fit your needs. It can really be tamed as you wish it to be.
3. The search results are tidy, not as fussy as the ones obtained through Google. They are given in chronological order too, at least for photos, which is great.
4. When you sk for a search on Photos in Google your photos are mixed in total disorder with the word "photo" appearing in e-mails or on the web. An absolute mess.
4. And to top it all, I spent a long time looking for a particular file in Google desktop search this morning without finding it (Yes, the indexing was over). Whereas I got it immediately through Copernic. I had started to think I had it on a floppy rather than on my PC, after the google search.

So, I would advise a comparative trial of both systems.
Anyway, Google only works on Windows NP and XP, I believe.

Have fun!
Collapse

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I really advise using copernic Oct 18, 2004

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

The search results are tidy, not as fussy as the ones obtained through Google. They are given in chronological order too, at least for photos, which is great.

I am still opting for Copernic. It has rather no spyware build-in, no matter what settings you choose. It also sets all documents chronologically, browses and indexes PDF files (unless in graphic form). When you do search, you just type a word in a search window and the program immediately lists chronologically your documents, and there is more, you get a quick view window where you see the location of your word and the context it is used in.

Don't hesitate, use this one

Regards

Piotr

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Another competitor Oct 19, 2004

Someone has try it?

http://www2.blinkx.com/overview.php

Rgds

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try FileHand Oct 20, 2004

Following a suggestion on the WF mailing list, I tried Filehand and I'm very happy with it. It indexes quite quickly and the results page has a fast-forward button which which one can view more context if necessary. Great for concordance searches. It's freeware but you have to register.

http://www.filehand.com/

FileHand requires .NET and W2000 or higher.

[Edited at 2004-10-20
... See more
Following a suggestion on the WF mailing list, I tried Filehand and I'm very happy with it. It indexes quite quickly and the results page has a fast-forward button which which one can view more context if necessary. Great for concordance searches. It's freeware but you have to register.

http://www.filehand.com/

FileHand requires .NET and W2000 or higher.

[Edited at 2004-10-20 08:55]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
An another one Oct 22, 2004

http://www.x-friend.de/de/start/einfuhrung/

A Java application, so working in other OS too, not only under Windows.

man! which is the best?

[Edited at 2004-10-22 17:11]

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
State of play on the desktop search front Nov 7, 2004

As a great fan of everything Google (Gmail is wonderful), I was predisposed to give my vote to Google Desktop Search. But one can't live in a state of denial for ever and I have to admit that Google has missed out on this occasion.
I have tested Google, Filehand, Blinkx and Copernic fairly extensively and fully subscribe to all the praise for Copernic. It is fast, clean, clear and powerful. Blinkx is almost as good, but Copernic gets my vote on the strength of its ability to highlight the
... See more
As a great fan of everything Google (Gmail is wonderful), I was predisposed to give my vote to Google Desktop Search. But one can't live in a state of denial for ever and I have to admit that Google has missed out on this occasion.
I have tested Google, Filehand, Blinkx and Copernic fairly extensively and fully subscribe to all the praise for Copernic. It is fast, clean, clear and powerful. Blinkx is almost as good, but Copernic gets my vote on the strength of its ability to highlight the search string in the quick preview window. Blinkx will only highlight the text if it happens to be at the start of the document - a small but crucial difference.
So it's Copernic for me, but remember Google is only in Beta so improvements may be on the way!

What we can say for sure is that no-one in their right mind will ever need or want to use the woeful Windows search component again. Rather more sadly, Copernic and co. doubtless spell the end for good old Agent Ransack which has served me so well down the years.
Collapse

Tatiana Neamţu
Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
Local time: 22:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
A link, anything? Apr 25, 2005

Is there a link to copernicus? Is it free?
Thank you!

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copernic Apr 25, 2005

Tatiana Neamtu wrote:

Is there a link to copernicus? Is it free?
Thank you!

http://www.copernic.com/
And yes, Copernic Desktop Search is free.

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
link Apr 25, 2005

Yes, copernic desktop search can be downloaded from www.copernic.com, there is a new version build 1.5 which in my opinion is more stable. With the former one there were problems with memory size. And it is free.

Piotr

Man
Man
English
+ ...
May 8, 2005

I would be interested to know if there is an indexing software including google desktopsearch software, that would index files on a shared LAN or a network drive. In other words, if it would give me an option to decide what drives should be indexed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new tool: Google Desktop Search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »