Thread poster: Behnam Koleili

Behnam Koleili  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:40
Member (2004)
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Oct 27, 2004

"Easily copy files to your GMail account and retrieve them again!"

I installed it on my PCs and it was wonderful! It is really easy to use!Get an additional drive for your computer for free!

"GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium.

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

Ever since Google started to offer users a GMail e-mail account, which includes storage space of a 1000 megabytes, you have had plenty of storage space but not a lot to fill it up with. With GMail Drive you can easily copy files to your GMail account and retrieve them again.

When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. GMail Drive periodically checks your mail account (using the GMail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the directory structures. But basically GMail Drive acts as any other hard-drive installed on your computer.

You can copy files to and from the GMail Drive folder simply by using drag'n'drop like you're used to with the normal Explorer folders.
Version 1.2 has been released and includes the following changes:

* "Send To" context menu
* Option to preserve filenames in attachments
* Option to use HTTPS only (secure)
* Cookies don't interfere with GMail Notifier
* Proxy authentication support
* Several bugfixes

The new options are available in the Login dialog under the "More" button. It's necessary to uninstall, reboot and reinstall - to replace the old version.

So general notes on features -

* GD supports 40 character file names.
* GD files are limited to GMail's attachment file limits (a bit under 10mb).
* GD does not explicitly support proxies (using a SOCKS proxy for all outgoing IP traffic would likely work).
* GD supports one account.
* GD uses IE under the covers so if you use IE to access your mail account and have another GDrive account you will be logging in over and over when you go to access your mail.
* GD can be uninstalled in the standard manner - Control Panel, Add/Remove programs.
* GD does not encrypt attachments placed in your GMail account. Act accordingly.
* GMail does not like zip files. Rename them prior to placing them in your GDrive"

Direct link Reply with quote
Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
German to French
+ ...
Gmail Drive Oct 28, 2004

I would never use it or want somebody to use it with my files.
What about privacy? Do you think your clients would like the idea of putting your files online where someday somebody could come, knack your e-mail password and have a look at everything.
My files are better on my computer or on my shelf. It is enough to see my firewall reacting all the day because some hacker is trying to come on my computer. You can't protect what you put there, and as I heard, once it is on you Gmail, it is for ever. It can't be completely deleted.

No, I will never use it. external HD are not so expensive nowadays if you need space.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new tool: Gmail Drive

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs