ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

 
User
Thread poster: henryhu
Open parallel text

henryhu
Local time: 22:46
English to Chinese
Jan 26

I'm creating an open parallel corpus that everyone can contribute and have access to. In the usual situation, translators maintain their own parallel text. Why not to share the part of it that can come to be public? Though we can't make sure of the quality of others' text, good quality can be achieved though well-design mechanism.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 16:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yet another? Jan 26

The idea is hardly novel:
http://opus.lingfil.uu.se/
http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=197
http://mymemory.translated.net/
https://www.tausdata.org/
http://www.linguee.com/
http://www.wordfast.com/products_vltm.html
http://www.farkastranslations.com/bilingual_books.php

...and these are only the ones that I remember off the top of my head (I used most of them at one time or another, and I created the last one).

Think long and hard about whether your idea has some unique value that none of the existing schemes provide.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 16:46
English to German
Quality vs. "quality" Jan 27


henryhu wrote:

everyone can contribute ... good quality can be achieved though well-design mechanism


Um ... must be a very sophisticated mechanism.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

henryhu
Local time: 22:46
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 1


FarkasAndras wrote:

The idea is hardly novel:
http://opus.lingfil.uu.se/
http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=197
http://mymemory.translated.net/
https://www.tausdata.org/
http://www.linguee.com/
http://www.wordfast.com/products_vltm.html
http://www.farkastranslations.com/bilingual_books.php

...and these are only the ones that I remember off the top of my head (I used most of them at one time or another, and I created the last one).

Think long and hard about whether your idea has some unique value that none of the existing schemes provide.


I checked a few you mentioned. Yes, I think there is need to build another one. Everyone should be able to simply add and edit parallel text. Text should be conveniently searched and browsed cross-devices. I'm not satisfied with existing products. So I launched a campaign (www.indiegogo.com/projects/open-parallel-text) to create another one. I hope it will provide consistent experience on mobile devices.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 16:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How is it supposed to be used? Feb 10

So, what's the idea here?

Is this aimed at translators? I.e. you upload your TMs and search them in the online system, while also searching in other people's shared stuff? Will there be an in-browser CAT as in Wordfast Anywhere? Are all uploaded TMs automatically added to the big shared DB? Will you be crawling the web to collect and align material?

Personally, I don't see any use for a mobile-friendly TM site. I hope nobody translates on a smartphone or a tablet.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

henryhu
Local time: 22:46
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
An alternative and more Mar 2


FarkasAndras wrote:

So, what's the idea here?

Is this aimed at translators? I.e. you upload your TMs and search them in the online system, while also searching in other people's shared stuff? Will there be an in-browser CAT as in Wordfast Anywhere? Are all uploaded TMs automatically added to the big shared DB? Will you be crawling the web to collect and align material?

Personally, I don't see any use for a mobile-friendly TM site. I hope nobody translates on a smartphone or a tablet.


Yes, these are the issues I've been trying to work out. It aims at translators definitely. TMs would be public or private. Only the public stuff can be searched by other users. It is intended to be an in-browser CAT.

There are a number of projects is to crawl the web to collect bilingual text. However, the quality of automatic collection is not satisfying. The manual translation is more reliable for translators by now.

Mobile devices are increasingly common. Why not perform translation tasks on them? Even so, reviewing and making minor changes conveniently on a smartphone or a tablet is definitely helpful. Try this demo on different devices http://wohub.org/demo


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 16:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't really see the appeal Mar 2


henryhu wrote:

It is intended to be an in-browser CAT.

Do you realize that a) that is an immense job (that includes writing, maintaining and supporting MS Office import/export features) and it is unlikely that a single person can do it well and b) you would be competing against a free service offered by an established competitor?



henryhu wrote:
Mobile devices are increasingly common. Why not perform translation tasks on them?


They are increasingly common, but they are made for exactly the opposite kind of use. They are designed for content consumption and games "on the move" via the touchscreen, not for professional productivity applications. Do you want to type thousands of words on a touchscreen?
Sure, some people would occasionally use an in-browser CAT on an ipad but it's hardly a market you can make a living off of.

This thread hasn't exactly blown up with interest, and neither has the indiegogo page. I would take that as a signal.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andy Lemminger[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open parallel text







Across Personal Edition – Free Full Version for Freelance Translators
Across is an integrated CAT tool, which means that you will find everything you need in one place.

Freelance translators receive a full version of Across Personal Edition, a single-workstation version of Across, for free. You are always working in one and the same environment, regardless of whether you would like to create a new project, translate a do

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexbible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: Completely redesigned user interface Live Preview Inline spell checking Inline formatting and more

More info »