Thread poster: jozie
jozie
Germany
Local time: 11:08
Gaelic to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2004

Hello!
I would appreciate some advice and recommendations on where to buy a good CD ROM French dictionary online. Also how much should I expect to pay for one?

Go raibh mile maith agaibh! - Thanks a million!

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
French to English
+ ...
Collins-Robert Nov 11, 2004

jozie wrote:

Hello!
I would appreciate some advice and recommendations on where to buy a good CD ROM French dictionary online. Also how much should I expect to pay for one?

Go raibh mile maith agaibh! - Thanks a million!

Hi there - I recently received for my birthday the latest edition of the Collins-Robert CD-ROM - which corresponds to the 2nd edition of their Comprehensive dictionary (as published in the UK, anyway). As my dad forgot to remove the invoice from the package, I know that he got it from Amazon and that it cost less than £30 including delivery (say 50 euros). I really like it. It has all the content of my giant dictionary, and it has little sound files telling you how to pronounce the words, which is nice.

Good luck!
Angela

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
There must be several editions Nov 11, 2004

Le Grand Robert/Collins - Super Senior - NOUVEAU - MAC & PC.
Prod. Num.: 10010
Weight: 2 LBS.
Regular Price: $125.00
http://www.sofworld.com/prodview.asp?prod=318&cat=68&subcat=162

(I wonder how a CD-Rom can have 2 lbs weight).

Le grand Robert (French only) costs euros 150 in Amazone.
http://www.concours.mobilite-territoriale.net/librairie-preparation-aux-concours-de-la-fonction-publique/le-grand-robert-article40.html

The problem with it is that you must have it in the driver. I have it all the time, but I seldom use the driver for something else, I know that other people do use their driver and it can be an inconvenient.

Claudia

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
You do not need to use a physical driver Nov 11, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

The problem with it is that you must have it in the driver. I have it all the time, but I seldom use the driver for something else, I know that other people do use their driver and it can be an inconvenient.

Claudia

Claudia, I tell you in other posting, surely you have not see it, there is applications for that, you can make a virtual disc in your PC, VirtualCD for example (http://www.virtualcd-online.com/). So you can "install" so many dictionaries as your hardisc can contain.

Saludos

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Collins-Robert Nov 12, 2004

Hi Jozie,

I agree completely with Angela's suggestion - I had the Harraps and Larousse and they were awful (at least the versions that I had were). The Collins is well worth the money - I'd even buy it at twice the price.

Tóg go bog é

Ian

[Edited at 2004-11-12 11:55]

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Harrap's Nov 15, 2004

Ian Winick wrote:

I agree completely with Angela's suggestion - I had the Harraps and Larousse and they were awful

I can't agree about Harrap's. I have the paper version and the cd-rom version, and I like them really much.
The right version for us translators is the "Unabridged" - obviously if you have the "Shorter" version it won't do. We have a "shorter" at home, it is with the kids.

There is a drawback however with the cd-rom version. It requires the cd each time you start a session with it. And it is protected against Virtual Drive!!!

Florence

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French-English-French CD ROM Dictionaries

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs