Mobile menu

What do translators do with redundant files
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 23:01
English to German
+ ...
Nov 26, 2004

Hi! I mean literally redundant, when a translator gets the files dumped and the not the final project. In my case I read atleast twice just to find interesting new information if any is available. Can such files be utilized in any manner? Shall appreciate all infos
Rgds,Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could you please clarify? Nov 26, 2004

I don't quite understand.
Do you mean that you have files that you don't have to translate? Used only for terminology reference purposes?
In that case, if I were you I would use them for a terminology database!
Another idea: Have you got a CAT tool with an alignment function? Align them and save the results in your Translation Memory.

Have a nice weekend

Clarisa

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I agree with Clarisa Nov 26, 2004

I don't understand what you mean either.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May be generating TM is the right idea Nov 26, 2004

Hi! This season, this year, atleast 5-7 agencies and end customers left around 6-8 very large files with me. As you all know people send out the file dearly first than the PO. So as the PO didn´t come through, the work was either suspended by me or the agency had cancelled the project or the project didn´t take place. Now I see all these large files ( no for the first time) from 5 different disciplines. 3 of them from En-DE and others otherway around, and all are different. I read them once, twice sometimes, but now that the projects are no more real, I don´t know what to do with them. Should I develop a monolingual TM which is an immediate answer. A bilingual segment alignment would mean translating in free time or use pre-translation and improve the TM. I was just wondering what would a regular translator do? That was the main question, I mean where does he take so many hours of time needed to do this work and mainly also to whose advantage? Excuse me if the question is not appropriate.
Rgds,Brandis

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:01
German to English
+ ...
Delete 'em, I say, delete 'em! Nov 26, 2004

Hi

If I knew just half the new vocab from the files I had already translated, my head would be so big that I would have to break the window to get out of my office and walk round outside to get to the kitchen.

I usually print out a translation, look up words I don't know, writing the translations of them on the print-out. I started transferring the the words/expressions to sheets with two columns but as for actually learning them? (Good job I'm not still in school or I would not be allowed outside at recess any day)!

I tend to forget those files and sometimes I have to attack my WinZip favourites, as all the old files are just taking up space there.

For the reasons mentioned above, I don't have any qualms about ditching the kind of files you mentioned.

Sincerely

Robin

Brandis wrote:

Hi! This season, this year, atleast 5-7 agencies and end customers left around 6-8 very large files with me. As you all know people send out the file dearly first than the PO. So as the PO didn´t come through, the work was either suspended by me or the agency had cancelled the project or the project didn´t take place. Now I see all these large files ( no for the first time) from 5 different disciplines. 3 of them from En-DE and others otherway around, and all are different. I read them once, twice sometimes, but now that the projects are no more real, I don´t know what to do with them. Should I develop a monolingual TM which is an immediate answer. A bilingual segment alignment would mean translating in free time or use pre-translation and improve the TM. I was just wondering what would a regular translator do? That was the main question, I mean where does he take so many hours of time needed to do this work and mainly also to whose advantage? Excuse me if the question is not appropriate.
Rgds,Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have finally deleted them all Nov 27, 2004

Robtrans I feel now relieved, I was worrying for weeks together, about the amount the information these projects contain and how that information can be assimilated into a TM, but then they would have been 5 different TMs, totally 5 different disciplines. Just deleted from the HD. Similarly I have a full 3 walls length expensive books, I have probably read them 20-30 times, made notes in them. I can´t throw them away. Reselling them wouldn´t get me anything. Thank you, Brandis

Rosemary Schmid
Local time: 17:01
English
I have THOUSANDS of translator notes; they helped Dec 22, 2004

Funny you should ask your question. My recently deceased husband began his "filing system" pre-computers, and we now have, in English plus the six languages he translated, thousands of 3x5 in cards with what he found on his way to translating a document. (I'm searching for an appropriate database to computerize what he found, but that's another question.)
What he did was make a "fiche" with the headword and the word or phrase he decided was a correct translation of meaning. He noted the source if he thought it was relevant. Since the search for meaning might carry you through several resources, it seems a waste not to collect what you can, even from a job you haven't gotten. If the subject matter is what you're already interested in, use the files for self-study.

Cicero
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Redundant files Dec 22, 2004

I agree by all means delete them, but make sure you make a copy of them first.

Sorry couldn't resist, festive season and all that.

Didier

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do translators do with redundant files

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs