Mobile menu

Speech recognition for translators - new forum
Thread poster: Jim Turner

Jim Turner  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:45
Dutch to English
Dec 3, 2004

There's a new forum (mailing list format) for translators who use or are interested in using speech recognition:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SR_for_translators

cheers, Jim

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:45
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Check link Dec 3, 2004

Your link takes me to a blank page.

pawlik  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's OK Dec 3, 2004

Works for me. Must have been a temporary hitch.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
it used to be VR_for translators Dec 3, 2004

it used to be VR_for translators

Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Site should be working Dec 3, 2004

I don't know why you should have got a blank page, Jack, it's working fine now. Yahoo has been somewhat vulnerable to hackers recently, maybe that's the problem.

Re: name change. Yes it started as VR_translators, but it was changed by mutual consent to SR_for_translators as this was more appropriate (the term is speech recognition - voice recognition refers to systems that recognises people's voices for identification and security purposes).

cheers, Jim

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I thought VR would suit better Dec 3, 2004

as speeech limits to technical aspects and voice goes slightly beyond. Additionally also the group is concentrating only on one tool, such as Dragon speech.Brandis.

Mr. Turner, I didn´t mean it negatively. I had the impression that only one tool is being discussed. Personally I am perfectly happy with Dragon speech latest edition.That is all.Brandis

[Edited at 2004-12-04 09:45]

Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not so, Brandis Dec 3, 2004

SR_for_translators is:
"A discussion group for translators who use speech recognition software in their work, or who are interested in doing so. This is the place to discuss the pros and cons of the various SR packages, such as Dragon Naturally Speaking, ViaVoice, Microsoft Speech Recognition, as standalone programs or in combination with translation packages such as Trados, Deja Vu, Star Transit, SDLX, WordFast, etc. Suitable for the curious, beginners and more experienced users."

Not just for Dragon, in other words. The fact that not many other packages have been discussed probably reflects the market share of DNS more than anything. If you want to see discussion of other packages, go ahead and start one!

As for the title, SR or VR, 'speech recognition' is the recognised name for the field as far as I understand it. Everyone on the list seems to be happy about the change, I haven't heard any negative comments so far.

cheers, Jim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speech recognition for translators - new forum

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs